Dempsey, EJ, no Spector: West Ham vs. Fulham October 2, 2010, 10:00 ET

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by johnsemlak, Oct 2, 2010.

1. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    kamara's first touch was excellent. It was a tough chance to be sure, but shot let him down.

2. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He made it knowing he was about to get hammered (again), too. Dempsey's mean streak makes it hard to compare him to McBride (he's one of those guys the opposition seems to get pissed at by about the 10 minute mark of every game he's in), but he's put in a McBride-like effort today.

3. CenterLine

CenterLine Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1-1 FT.
    Fulham's still unbeaten, but they might want to start winning some of the games.

I think Fulham should have won this game, Dempsey came close to scoring his 2nd, Green had a couple of good saves, EJ & Kamara didn't capitalize on their scoring chances

4. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Wait, kinda confused by what you're saying here.

5. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Dempsey was magnificent today, while I'm not sure how to rate EJ's performance.

6. CenterLine

CenterLine Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EJ's gonna start again next week if Dembele is not healthy.

7. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EJ should have taken lessons from Clint on how to beat Robert Green... roll it slowly and straight at him!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXo2nm2ODF0&NR=1&feature=fvwp"]YouTube - USA vs England in Lego[/ame]

8. petezuke17

petezuke17 Member

May 7, 2003
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure this word means what you think it means, invisible is what you were looking for...

9. BKcitystriker

BKcitystriker Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    FT. Nice game by Dempsey. Sweet goal, looked dangerous all game. Barely missed for a second with his trademarked down snapping header. Plus, after a clumsy touch played a great ball to Kamara for a break which could have sealed all three points for Fulham. Has to be MOTD for Fulham.

Johnson on the other hand I thought overall was poor. Watching him in contrast to Dempsey i think just further illustrates his shortcomings as a player. He really isn't up to first division par with his technical ability, generally looks for the back pass or square ball, and when he runs at players (that's when he runs at players which is rare) he always goes right to set up his shot. Plus i thought he kinda dogged it and wasn't pressing as hard as he should. I know it's harsh, but not good enough from him today.

10. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Too bad EJ couldn't score. Fulhamerica would've lived again.

Davies might tie Altidore and EJ in scoring this year even if he doesn't play. :eek:

11. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I was thinking.

12. CenterLine

CenterLine Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I stand corrected, I just watched Mark Wahlberg's movie but that's still a poor excuse for such a glaring mistake.:D

13. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    clint has to be kicking himself.

the scoreline really should have read

West Ham Thuggery 1 vs. Clint Dempsey Steamroller 3

14. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Yes and no.

panstil had some bad form. Brede is definitely not the same defender as the last two years. I blame this entirely on the fact that Hodgs is gone. Brede had a shot at Arsenal but staid because of Woy, then woy takes a powder and brede is left picking up Etuhu and Murphy's mess instead of watching Csec and Arshavin tear up the league, kind of.

15. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
  16. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Very nice finish.

If only the U.S. could produce some pure strikers with Clint's scoring ablity.

17. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    A change in tactics can do wonders.

Fulham played on the ground today a lot more vs. the previous matches and it certainly favored Clint a lot more.

18. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    I have to think that a major part of Clint's motivation out there today was to keep EJ in the line-up.

He clearly wants him out there with him.

I could be wrong, but they seem to have *some* chemistry on the pitch in that EJ starts to resemble a football substance and Dempsey over compensates by putting in a super human shift.

Man, if I am Dempsey I come out of this match, beaten and bruised, but with a huge smile on my face because Avram just spent 90 minutes game planning for me and I still got my crunk on. What?

19. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    This takes me back to the Sanchez days (I feel Sparky is an advanced replica of Sanchez by the way and only Hodgs tremendous teaching is still carrying them forward with composed build up play) when Clint called the manager out in a post match interview where he called for the ball to be played on the ground instead of in the air that it favored the footballers on the team.

20. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They hoofed it to EJ a lot in the first half.

21. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, Sam, Fulham's current success is only a product of Roy's "tremendous" teaching... The tremendous teaching that currently has a more talented Liverpool team in the relegation zone.

22. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. It really wasn't a change in tactics, EJ was just playing in the target role that Clint had occupied the last few matches. This freed Clint up to play a position he is much more comfortable in (and he had an excellent match...by far Fulham's MOTM).

23. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    i hate arguing by analogy. It is lazy. Two things are never the same. He has 30 years experience managing teams with favorable results.

He made a mistake. He should have staid with the Whites and built his little empire. He had the young veterans to grow the team with and instead like all tragic englishman he took up the calling of one of the big four and now he is being put to the test.

24. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Mark Hughes has roughly a decade of favorable results in the EPL. Sam, I like Roy and think he did a great job at Fulham, but I'm not the least bit convinced that Fulham would be in better shape today if he had stayed.