Dempsey at Fulham discussion: I have showed I can play at this level [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Scoobs, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Re: Since 2000, the evolution of what U.S. soccer is has been fun to witness

Great post!

2. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Clint Dempsey: I have showed I can play at this level [Chelsea R]

I really hope Clint was misquoted and actually said "I have shown I can play at this level," not "I have showed I can play at this level."

3. dcochran

dcochran Member+

Feb 17, 1999
    Vero Beach, FL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Actually, Dempsey, while right-footed, has a very decent left foot. If you watch him regularly you will see him use the inside and outside of both feet on a routine basis. It's has always (at least since his MLS days) been a significant part of his unpredictability both shooting and passing. Should this be a big surprise in a Premiership-level player? No. But I would argue that the choice he made was a choice and that it surprised both Cech and the defender who were expecting the turn and left footed volley.

4. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If Dempsey has turned and shot with his left, and Cech had saved, BigSoccer morons would be on here saying that Dempsey didn't have the skill or ingenuity to flick the ball into the net with the outside of his boot. You guys are delusional.

5. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It thought one of the more impressive displays by Deuce v chelsea involved his left foot (which someone else mentioned in another thread,). A few minutes before his second goal, he was able to get past the very quick Cole to the end line, then cut back and make a very nice cross, with accuracy and velocity, with his left foot.

6. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

Right.

7. dwsmith1972

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Repped.

8. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Dempsey kept it simple (as he should have) and got the desired result - a goal.

9. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is moronic. Did you even see the shot Dempsey put on goal with his left against Tottenham? He has a left and can use it when called for, which it certainly wasn't in that situation. I can't believe people really want to quibble about how he put in two goals against one of the best teams in the world. Show me a player in the world who would gripe about having scored those goals against Chelsea.

10. dwsmith1972

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

In addition to the goals [the second of which, to me, was as well placed a header as I've seen] I was really excited to see how Clint fared over the course of 90s minutes playing against one of the best/fastest left backs around. He played good solid positional defense and didnt dive in against cole. He seemed to work well with Pantsil on that side. He also seemed to get over some early possession jitters. He had a few early "shaky" passes that were too players not in great positions to receive them. Mikel and Cole always seemed right on top of the Fulham midfielders and without Bullard running all over the place providing outlets, there weren't always great places to pass the ball. However, Clint seemed to be able to maintain his composure and find smart, intelligent passes under a good deal of pressure.

11. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I think it has more to do with the fact that some of us see those goals as being great goals visually, from a technical side - simple... and some posters here are simply taking offence to this because we share a different opinion, therefore - the quibbling.

Not taking anything away from Dempsey, but any player in a top professional league should be have been able to put those two goals away.

Dempsey should not gripe but b happy, he did what was expected of him vs Chelsea and should long remember this day.

12. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Moving along... Dempsey's predicted goal total for this year: I say 12 (8 more in the remaining 19 games). Yeah, high for a RM, but he seems to really be hitting his stride. Any other predictions?

13. zanderbz

zanderbz Member

May 12, 2005
    United States
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The first goal was typical Dempsey, right place, right time. It didn't look amazing but was actually a clever little touch.

The second goal was incredible as he was off balance and headed the ball to the only spot it could have gone. Fantastic.

Lost in all of this was that Dempsey had a very nice defnesive performance with some key break ups and steals. He also resisted the temptation to boot the ball up the field when the situation called for the pace to slow down.

Probably one of the best games I've ever seen the guy play.

Nice one Duece!

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I saw it differently.

A left footed shot would have been slower. Perhaps Cech would have been able to smother the shot then.

And speaking of Stevie G., he got arrested this morning.

15. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

LOL. The ESPN site changed their article title based on the comment I left there.

It now says "I have shown" instead of "I have showed."

:D

16. CommonSense

CommonSense Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Portland

So are you saying those goals were sitters?

I'm sorry, but you don't understand the "technique" of heading the ball if you think Dempsey's second goal was in any way, shape, or form "simple"

Leaning back on an outswinging corner without any momentum and placing the ball perfectly over the keeper is very difficult, for any player. You see many headers far more simple missed in every game. You see very few headed goals as difficult.

I'm sorry, but I'm getting a little tired of you just saying "ohh, it's just my opinion, there's no need to argue about it" type garbage. Your opinion flies in the face of the game's commentary, the post-match press, and reality. That's not a simple goal, (and you were wrong about 90% of the BS you were spouting before the LD thing ended up being nearly identical to what Goff was reporting).

17. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT

You're making a normative statement based on how you perceive the world to be, you want it to be one way, but it's the other (to quote Marlo). The fact is players like Carlton Cole contrive to miss chances like that all the time. You might wish the ball to go in, or expect it, but really only about 1/10 shots do and the chance Clint had isn't one of the easy ones. It was a very good finish that all strikers would be proud of, it wasn't a Golazo but it was a top finish. It's a good example of the type of class that Dempsey has that translates to a higher level, the type of class that some of his teammates show once or twice a season (Bobby Z I'm lookin at you) that Clint shows just about every game.

If that ball hits the ground Cech is all over it unless he has a moment of cowardice.

18. white riot

white riot Member+

England
    Apr 27, 2005
    Southampton, England
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Is Duece sucking his thumb in that celebration, or is it a "hood" thang?

19. KenC

KenC Member+

Jun 11, 2003

It's presumably a baby bottle reference. His wife has a baby on the way.

20. duckstrap

duckstrap Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't think the folks here who are saying it was a simple thing to score those goals have ever stepped on a pitch. It isn't a simple thing.

On the first one, with his back to the goal, it takes loads of creativity and confidence to shoot that ball instead of laying it back. If he fails there, he's a goat. There are three Chelsea players spread across the line, one of whom is arguably the best keeper in the world. On the tape, you can see Dempsey spot the gap and flick it through. On the second, he shows the heart of a lion - it takes guts to stick your head in there, gents - combined with great technique. I think the second is luckier than than the first, by the way. On a header like that, you can do everything right and still see your shot carom the wrong way off your head.

The context of a Chelsea game in front of 30k fans adds another layer of complexity still.

They aren't the most amazing goals I have seen. But there isn't anything "simple" about them.

21. dcochran

dcochran Member+

Feb 17, 1999
    Vero Beach, FL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I interpreted it that he was opening a bottle of beer on his boot and then drinking it in celebration.

22. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005

He was sucking his thumb in reference to his baby. His wife is pregnant.

23. white riot

white riot Member+

England
    Apr 27, 2005
    Southampton, England
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

What? In the middle of a London derby like that one?

That's embarressing.

No foriegners in English football.

24. dcochran

dcochran Member+

Feb 17, 1999
    Vero Beach, FL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I know his wife is pregnant. Watch the whole celebration again and try to explain what he's doing with his foot and why he extends his pinky as one does when they're mimicking drinking a bottle of beer. IMHO, he's cracking open a bottle on his boot and then chugging it down.

25. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT

That will be fine with me, then all the talent in the EPL would be able to play in leagues with a bit more tactical sophistication while Northen Irish coaches with Spanish names can coach the Brits on how to play longball into a withdrawn forward.