Democratic Failure Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by MasterShake29, Mar 27, 2011.

Tags:
  1. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    If you don't like that tone, vote out Trump. He does it more than any U.S. politician who ever was.

At some level I agree with your comment. Many Dems adopted the same tone with Mitt and McCain, and that was crying wolf. I didn't join them in that and you would have been right in calling them out for their breathlessness. But now the wolf is here. So you are correct in spirit, but wrong on this occasion.

dapip repped this.
  2. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Trump shrieks about "Democracy!!!"?

I never planned on doing anything but vote for someone other than Trump, just like I did in 2016.

It's only actual now due to the godlike reverence that is placed on a process.

3. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    This is why Democrats should veer FAR to the left. They will never, ever get the help from alleged independents, no matter what.

I sympathize with centrists like @bigredfutbol but as you can see some people are far too precious to help put out the fire that's engulfing our home. It's up to us, and only us, now.

Auriaprottu, superdave and dapip repped this.
  4. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I'm sorry that I am going to add to someone else's vote total and not Trump's. You can't convince me to vote for him, no matter how much you wish I would.

5. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    The house is on fire. Instead of helping, you're across the street masturbating and heckling the people trying to help.

sitruc and dapip repped this.
  6. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I understand the sentiment. There doesn't seem to be any reward in compromise.

7. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Do you need another math lesson?

Separately, your form of helping is doing exactly the opposite of your intent. So basically, you're taking a shit in the gutter while yelling at the house for being constructed of flammable material.

8. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    You are a vile piece of shit. My only wish is that it was YOUR children who were being locked in concentration camps because of your actions, and not some innocent stranger's.

Auriaprottu, sitruc, dapip and 1 other person repped this.
  9. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I appreciate the respectful dialogue. I hope you know that I know we're on the same side.

I'd argue the Left were largely indifferent to the fire being lit in the first place. Moderates, centrists, and mainstream liberals were abandoned by the Left in 2016. Heck, some on the left even cheered for a Trump victory as a way to start the revolution.

Bernie Sanders is still refusing to take the pledge to support down-ticket races. If that's not too precious to help put out the fire, I don't know what is. When left-wing protesters stop blaming Nancy Pelosi for Mitch McConnell's cynical obstructionism, that will certainly be a step in the right direction as well.

FWIW: I hope you realize that my politics are more centrist than my personal ideology. As noted above, I do believe that in a pluralistic democracy like ours, how politicians approach politics--the business of shaping public opinion, creating durable electoral and legislative coalitions, building a consensus to support durable policy shifts, respecting democratic norms, defending and supporting the civic and governmental institutions which make democratic governance possible, etc.--should take precedence over their explicit ideological goals.

I think ideology has an important role in a representative democracy, but I'd prefer to see it centered outside of three branches of government. A political system made of up politicians who are sympathetic to left- or right- ideological projects rather than being creature OF those ideologies would likely help us stabilize the Republic.

YMMV, obviously, but that's where I'm coming from.

10. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    You're the best.

11. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People often forget that, in the parable of the boy who cried wolf, the wolf DOES eventually show up.

Funkfoot, xtomx, Moishe and 1 other person repped this.
  12. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is over the top, dude.

xtomx and Moishe repped this.
  13. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Is it really? This is an all hands on deck election. Anybody who doesn't vote for Trump's opponent, whoever that person is**, is a traitor who can ******** off and die for all I care.

**Some idiot who's dividing the opposition categorically does not count.

Auriaprottu and dapip repped this.
  14. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Weird...I remember voting for an opponent of Trump.

Also, this is the gift that keeps on making my point for me.

Moishe, stanger and ceezmad repped this.
  15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh, I hope lots of Republican voters vote 3rd party. (or stay home)

16. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look I believed then and still believe now that the 2016 election was a referendum on American democracy and that anybody who didn't vote for HRC missed the point.

That doesn't mean I would wish ill on their kids. Did you really have to go there?

17. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    So what's Gary up to these days?

18. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    He didn't win!

19. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not the first time a statement like this has been foisted upon those of us that didn't vote the way some preferred.

20. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When bigredfutbol gets called a centrist...sheesh.

taosjohn repped this.
  21. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this is the goal, then it would be better to convince as many people as possible to support the same Trump's opponent by avoiding this language.

I think the banks should be broken up, private health care should be abolished, gun confiscation should be mandatory, and I would gladly give up talking about all of those things to get the White House and Senate back.

If your goal is winning you're ********ing it up.

Moishe, stanger and bigredfutbol repped this.
  22. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    So would Q*bert. So would every Democrat. That is one big advantage for Dems in the 2020 election.

23. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could've pushed back but given that I have become less attached to ideological identity I'm not inclined to bother. Q*Bert really takes exception to how anti-Bernie I am even though my opposition to Sanders isn't primarily ideological; i.e., it's not because I think he's too far Left. I suspect that's where he got the idea I'm a 'capital-C' centrist.

24. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We reading the same posts?

25. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Wasn't supposed to. He was a Rapala lure for ICs