Demi-Final Gooch report from Belgium (R) 4/12/06

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by garbaggio, Apr 12, 2006.

1. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
  2. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    I'm not sure if the denizens of BS know what a monster he is in the air. He's even better then McBride when he can prepare himself. If he was better at the tricks and flips, he'd be USA's starting forward. But he's not so he plays defense.

3. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no, if he didn't have to "prepare himself", then he'd be a forward

4. Attacking Minded

Jun 22, 2002
    That's what I said.

5. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    How many times have you seen McBride pull a Cruyff on the wing and send in a cross for a goal? I'm guessing your answer is one less than the number of times I've seen Gooch do it.

6. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not doubting you...but do you, by chance, have any video of this play?

7. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    That's one I saved, but can't find.... I'll take another look on my computer for it.
    It was an incredibly sweet play -- one that shouldn't be capable by a 6'4 220lb player.

8. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I remember one clip where he basically executed a back-heel volley (if that's possible) to spring his teammate in on goal. It was most impressive.

9. Attacking Minded

Jun 22, 2002
    So your point is that Gooch is a better forward or winger than McBride?

10. Attacking Minded

Jun 22, 2002
    BTW I remember the Cruyff. It was during the time he was at Metz, IIRC. I was saying at the time that Gooch was a natural centerback. People just couldn't accept that especially after that cross. Still though, he's a natural centerback.

11. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    It was more recent because I'm sure I got it off of Standard's website, he also scored a goal off a cross in the same game. He's a natural centerback but he's got more tricks and flicks than McBride.

12. KenC

KenC Member+

Jun 11, 2003
    Perhaps you're thinking of the Cercle Brugge game in 2004, where he scored two goals, and assisted on the third, with a nifty cross from the right corner. I think Cercle Brugge is Gooch's personal whipping boy, because I believe he scored two more goals against them in 2005.

13. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    Standard's website posted the pics of Gooch's goal (and his grabbing the ball out of the net for a quicker restart) from the midweek Cup game:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see video of the goal at:

http://www.standardliege.be/fr/index.html

Click on the "multimedia" dropdown tab, then "videos" then the scoreline next to Gooch's name from the Zulte Waregem - Standard match.

BTW, Standard have their work cut out for them again tomorrow as their evil rivals who shall remain nameless pulled back into 1st place with a victory yesterday.