DeMerit Welcomes Lerner article

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Wahoo, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    New thread on DeMerit from the Watford website: DeMerit Welcomes Lerner

For those of you who don't sign up (it's free):
    - Lerner is the American who now owns Aston Villa (their opponent this weekend)

The first part is about the business side and how Americans are getting interested/involved.

More interesting to most will be some of his comments on not playing last week:

"It was a bit disappointing because I didn't think there was a reason for it, but the gaffer makes the decisions and he wanted to try Malky in there, which is fine. He did really well and it's created more competition for the spot. All I can do is work hard and get back in."

"The gaffer's made it clear to me that I haven't necessarily done anything wrong, it's just that Malky's done great in pre-season, he's deserved his chance and congratulations to him for getting in there. I'll continue to do what I'm doing and create competition for our spots and that's what the gaffer wants because it will only make us better as a team."

2. Roblar

Roblar Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    Demerit demoted?:(

I hope it's an honest competition, but this quote makes it sound more like a demotion. ...but I'm going to take the positive view that it's fuel to the competitive fire for now...

I hope Demerit gets back on the field soon. (& for the first team!)

3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Does it make you guys laugh as well when an American uses the word "gaffer?" It just doesn't sound right.

If Demerit and Malky are even in the "gaffer's" eyes, I can understand why he'd go with experience. Simple. Demerit has to prove he's better.

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it too soon for me to gloat to all the people in USMNT who were so sure that Demerit would be outstanding in the EPL and even if Watford got relegated, he'd show so well someone else would pick him up?

I wish the kid well, really, but it just gets tiresome, the puppy love posters show for the unknown and unproven.

5. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Except that your argument doesn't really make sense.
    1) Jay came in at halftime on opening day (when not fully healthy) and started games 2 and 3.
    2) Jay performed well (based on ratings) in the games he's played
    3) Mackay has no experience in the EPL

Mackay is older and has played more games as a professional, but that doesn't mean you play him over Jay. Until this season, Malkay was on promoted teams 3 years in a row. Each previous year he was deemed not worthy of the EPL and surplus to requirements with the team he helped promote and was sold to a CCC team.

I see this as the manager (not the gaffer) giving Malkay a game and a chance to show what he can do. Right now the Manager seems to plan to play Shittu regularly, and so it is possible that the 2nd CB will vary from time to time. Heck it might even happen that Malky and Jay play a game together.

Basically, I'm not worried at the moment

6. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Way way way too early. (my personal opinion)
    He was rated well enough int eh games he's played.
    This was the first game he didn't play.

Even if you are eventually correct, and DeMerit isn't "outstanding" in the EPL.... what USA defender is performing better in a comparable league?

7. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eddie Pope?

8. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carlos Bocanegra?

9. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Note the question: Pope is NOT in a comparable league (sorry MLS)

Are we talking the Carlos Bocanegra that has played 12 minutes this season, coming in 78 minutes into game 4 (albeit he has a goal), and was an unused sub in games 1-3?

10. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a slender basis for your whole argument. Personally, I think ratings are pretty poor -- and quite possibly the manager, who many here were touting as some type of genius before, has his own very different ratings. Those are the ratings that matter.

And superdave, yes, it is too early to gloat, just as it was too early for people to claim Demerit has to be on the USMNT.

11. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No we're talking about the one that scored the game winner in his last game.

The only time I've ever seen DeMerit play he was very much a mixed bag. Worked his ass off all game and broke up a million plays, but also was out of position at times and got beat pretty badly for a goal. I have no idea whether he's better than Bocanegra or not, but Carlos doesn't get nearly the respect he deserves around here or anywhere else for that matter. I think it's silly to assume DeMerit is a better player.

12. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well for my part, I was being sarcastic.

13. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    I agree with you wholeheartedly that Carlos does not get the respect he deserves neither from Coleman nor many posters. I personally don't understand why he's not playing regularly.

But I did not say DeMerit is a better player than Bocanegra.

I asked who was what USA defender was performing better this season (and really only asked in regards to a specific post). I really like Boca but goal or not, I don't know how to judge a defenders season to date when it's only been 12-15 minutes.

At this point, I'm claiming that both their seasons are up in the air...
    DeMerit is still finding his place in the EPL
    Bocanegra hasn't gotten enough time on the field.

I don't know who I'll think had the better season come spring.

14. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    By the way, I expected this thread to really comment more on his attitude --- that he's not taking anything for granted and not fussing about being sat during the last game. Rather he's willing to fight for his place and do all he can to make sure he's in the gameday squad.

15. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A professional attitude. Great to see.

16. Allamerican74

Allamerican74 New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Again I've watched the matches Jay has been in. He hasn't done anything wrong. I hope it is part of a rotation that the manager is using because certainly he shouldn't be dropped based on his performances

17. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
  18. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, this is a fascinating direction for the thread to take. :rolleyes:

20. blue32828

blue32828 New Member

Jun 23, 2005
    orlando
    Demerit will get his spot back after petrov and angel carve up malky & co. tomorrow.

21. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    Immature response from a kneejerk YA supporter.

The correct response is...

"Come home to MLS, Jay!" :D

22. bradley31

bradley31 New Member

Oct 1, 2005
    To my American (North Carolinian) ears the word gaffer sounds like a big time insult. Like the gaffer (dumb a**** wanker) decided the British guy deserved a shot because he's got an acceptable accent.

23. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aidy played musical centrebacks last year as well.

I think instead of pencilling in his XI,he makes week-to-week judgments based on the opponent,tactical plan and form as displayed in practice.

You know,like a gaffer's supposed to do.

24. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fixed your post

25. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still consider DeMerit #1, but he's got competition. Let's not make more of this than it is.