Dejavu? The 2020 off Season, catch-all discussion thread.

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by nick, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    #1026 Q*bert Jones III, Feb 13, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    He inadvertently hits on a sore point for us though.

I think I speak for the crowd when I say that we would like to watch New Jersey and LA gargle diarrhea. But neither of those teams knows or cares if we exist. Objectively, it's a bit sad and pathetic. That's why MLS has been trying to ram this Philly rivalry down our throats for years.

tallguy, ImNumberTen, benni... and 2 others repped this.
  2. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    #1027 song219, Feb 13, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    They're preparing us for the North American Premiere League which will have the Galaxy, RBNY and the Yankees FC while we will be stuck in the MLS First Division with Philly.

3. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Red Bulls don't like us by they now have the Blue side of town. LA has the in house rival. As for me while I dislike The Gals we end up sticking it to them more often than not, especially in the big games (See MLS Cups). RBMF are my most hated rival even if they still focus on the blue side of town.

4. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Exactly.

If you go over to the Columbus Crew forum, you'd learn that, apparently, we're big rivals with them. Who knew? I barely acknowledge their existence. I don't care enough about them to hate them.

But that's how our biggest rivals think about us. They've moved on.

sitruc, shawn12011 and song219 repped this.
  5. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Luckliy my hate is so pure it doesn't require them to hate me back.

Kenobi, ElApacheTevez, benni... and 4 others repped this.
  6. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    QuietSide repped this.
  7. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I find such things amusing. Those estimated chance of winning are great, according them Hilary Clinton is President. Note also, after picking LAFC as the top choice and 25% chance to win the Cup, the rest of the league is basically a pick 'em. I hope the folks who did this have a paying day job.

8. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    #1033 song219, Feb 13, 2020
    I'm not sure why everyone is so optimistic. A few games in I expect complaints about the team looking like they don't practice together and no one taking shots on goal.

PS: I forgot complaints about football lines on the field.

JRHokie and Winoman repped this.
  9. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They also have Miami 6th in the east, ahead of RBNY, Columbus, NE, DC, Orlando, Montreal, and Cincinnati (in that order). It'll be interesting to see how that looks later.

Winoman repped this.
  10. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    #1035 PSURoss, Feb 13, 2020
    I agree its not optimal to lay back on stats and the like to project, but dam, I had us ahead of RBNY, Columbus, Orlando, Montreal, and Cincinnati.

I would agree that this team is an impact DP short. I was never a believer that we were players in the bidding for a guy who was going to go for $12-15M, but NJ has been selling players like there's no tomorrow, Montreal sold the soul of that team, Cincy needs more than a year to dig out of their mess, Orlando shows no sign of being the team they promised their first year or two and I am not sure Columbus is a better roster than ours. Chicago even with their buy today isn't even in this convo for me.

11. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disagree. He isn't clueless, he's part of a disinformation campaign trying to remake regional MLS rivalries. I'm not a fan of conspiracy theories, but this is one I subscribe to. They don't want us to hate RB. That's NYCFC's job.

We should have a huge presence at Philly games anyway, who cares why? You can't make an assumption this bad accidentally. It's narrative. Next thing you know someone will catch Don Garber in a Philly shirt taking a dump in the middle of the Hall of Tradition.

Kenobi, ImNumberTen, sitruc and 3 others repped this.
  12. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    It's hard to know who's better with so many unknown players coming in to the league. My first instinct is that DCU seems like they've replaced lost talent and should tread water, hopefully. But everybody else has gotten worse.

13. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1038 pr0ner, Feb 13, 2020
    "Before a season begins, a team’s SPI ratings are based on two factors: its ratings at the end of the previous season, and its market value as calculated by Transfermarkt (a site that assigns a monetary value to each player, based on what they would fetch in a transfer). We’ve found that a team’s market value — relative to their league’s average value — is strongly correlated with its end-of-season SPI rating. Thus, we use these market values to infer each team’s preseason SPI rating."

Since DCU's SPI was only 35.0 at the end of last season, and the team's Transfermarkt value is in the middle of the pack, that's how they get the 2020 number.

14. QuietSide

QuietSide Member

Oct 18, 2002
    I'd not seen the 538 model on MLS before. Thanks for posting.

Just for kicks, I went back and looked at previous years:

In preseason 2019 they predicted DCU finishing with 47 points and a +0 GD.
    We finished with 50 points and a +4 GD.

In preseason (pre Rooney) 2018 they predicted DCU finishing with 39 points and a -13 GD
    We finished with 51 points and a +10 GD.

In preseason 2017 they predicted DCU finishing with 49 points and a +3 GD.
    We finished with 32 points and a -29 GD.

15. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, Donovan Pines' dad was just named President of the University of Maryland.

John L, song219, sitruc and 2 others repped this.
  16. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Fantastic! His first task should be to relieve Sacha Kirovski from UMD soccer coaching duties so that he is freed up to become DCU coach.

In other news, Goff is reporting that Pines (the CB not the UMD President) has an ankle injury and is out 4-5 weeks.

Von Zee and sitruc repped this.
  17. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    538 predicted Hillary would win by 4 points. She won by 2 points Not too far off, but they completely messed up their electoral college assessment.

18. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    National polls were good. State polls were not as good. Electoral results are based on state results.

19. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Get rid of the electoral college.

Now, back to DC United...

anotherfan and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  20. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is just as bad as FLO

ImNumberTen and Eastern Bear repped this.
  21. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Depends on where you live. In Howard County, WJLA 24/7 (formerly News Channel 8) comes in HD on Verizon FIOS. Got no problem with them going this route. If NBCSW is going to relegate United games to the streaming platform then that is a deal breaker considering the shit show that was Flo TV

John L repped this.
  22. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even worse...for some of us. Unless they have a streaming plan that I am not aware of there will be no way for me to watch DCU on TV (since I'm streaming and over-the-air only). At least with Flo (which I hated) I could pony up and pay for their crappy broadcast.

23. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, yes it is.

24. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not even close to as bad.................................................

onefineesq repped this.
  25. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

SF, LA, Chi, NYC love you.

ejs1111 repped this.