Dein Sells shares - take over talk, take 2

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by DallasGooner, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    *Sigh - Here we go again, number 273 who put his oar in without reading what has gone before or having a clue about the issues*

I will add to that that you obviously have no comprehension of half the issue's either or you wouldn't post such bullshit. Do us all a favour and actually read the thread and what people have said.

Dein is not correct in the slightest. How do we need money to keep our players!!!! We have plenty of money coming in now to keep the players wages going and enough to buy whoever Wenger wants. However Wenger doesn't spend big - thats his choice.

Er they have already and we told them where to go. And will do in future. But if they offer a stupid amount such as 50M GBP then we would be stupid to turn them down. The question I always bring out - please tell me which player we have sold for lots of money in the past 10 years that has gone on to be more successful at his next club. Just one. I'll give you Pascal Cygan but thats it.

Overmars - historically dodgy knee, always wanted to pay for Barca so sold for combined fee of 28M GBP. Which was a huge sale and gave us big spending power.

Petit - Was a failure at Barca and was part of huge deal.

Anelka - We bought him for 500,000GBP and sold him for 23M GBP. Quite frankly I would have been mad at the board for not selling him for this profit.

It doesn't matter how long you have been a fan, it matters that you have comprehension of the facts. Something you don't have.

What twaddle. Where did you dream up that from? The only reason Glazer has enough to buy the players they did is because they raised the tickt prices by 20% or so. Whilst this may not matter to you or affect you, it ould cause an outcry amoungst those who go to games.

What rubbish. Vieira was courting Madrid for two years and completly unstabalised the team. It was important to get rid of the media attention that caused damage year after year so Wenger got rid of him. As for Henry - I have explaine why I think it was a good move to sell him. I feel we are already reaping the benefits of Henry not there.

Spending money is not a guarrantee to winning things. Only one team can win the Prem and CL per year!!! And as before, Wenger doesn't spend big.

Petit was a good midfielder. He is not very good with economics obviously.

Your comments would be much better if you bothered to give the rest of us the respect in reading this thread, finding out your facts and not writing a load of damm rubbish.

2. Skizz

Skizz Guest

I think those who believe what Dein says, or think the club is up shit creek in terms of finances, will shut up once the financial results come out next week.

3. Gooner_for_Life

Oct 26, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing i dont get is the interim results through November 2006 are out now. They are very easy to understand if you read them slowly and carefully, maybe granted i just graduated from business school but i slept through finance as i hated it. As well Hill-Wood pretty much takes the reader through the entire document spelling everything out and highlighting the key differences in figures from 05/06 to the first half of 06/07. All the trends are there to see and you pretty much just need to double the numbers and you get a full report.

Arsenal's financial document page

Everything is explained in the text but if you want to see a balance sheet with more numbers and further explanations then scroll down and click on "Read the full statement.doc" right above the Adobe Acrobat link.

Why doesnt everyone do this before they start throwing out silly statements about the financial position of our club.

4. Skizz

Skizz Guest

Exactly. The main thing about this years that will shut everyone up is that this is the full years' results and will prove that, despite the loan, we are better off financially than we were this time last year, and while we were at Highbury.

Cheers for the link GFL, I will have another peruse over those.

5. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't you know that facts are irrelevant to some of these people?

Thanks for the info though.

6. Sean P.

Sean P. Member

Aug 20, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/column...t=england&cc=5901&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab4pos1

"Ever since being fired as a director and unceremoniously marched out of Ashburton Grove back in April for conspiring against the other board members, David Dein's personal publicity machine has been working overtime. Stories appearing in the press about takeover bids during the summer have almost certainly emanated from his camp.

The current board of directors have enough of a shareholding not to be worried by such talk should they not wish to sell. So there has never really been any crisis behind the scenes since Dein was shown the door. The news that he has sold his shares to Russian billionaire Alisher Usmanov and had been appointed the chairman of the laughably named 'Red and White Holdings', the company that holds the shares on behalf of the Russian, really does seem to reveal Dein's true intentions.

After courting the investment of Stan Kroenke several months ago, it appears that the American now no longer wishes to involve Dein in his plans. Consequently, it seems that Dein has gone out to find himself a new investor and someone who can deliver what he wants - to be made chairman of Arsenal Football Club. It really does feel like Dein's vision is far less about making Arsenal 'the biggest club in the world' and much more to do with his own ego and vanity and putting himself in control.

David Dein claims that Arsenal need to seek foreign investment to not fall behind other clubs in the Premiership. This notion is so flawed it borders on the ludicrous. After a hard couple of years building Ashburton Grove - a plan that Dein opposed, preferring to rent Wembley instead - the club has got through the pain of moving and is now in a good financial position and has massive revenue-earning potential. Why would current shareholders want to sell up at this point when the biggest hurdle has been cleared and the new stadium now fully-functional? Foreign investment is not going to get more people through the turnstiles - the stadium is full every week and the season ticket waiting list is years long.

Dein's argument is that new investment will give Arsene Wenger more money to spend in the transfer market and the ability to bring the biggest names to the club. The irony of this is that Wenger is probably the last manager you would pick to handle that sort of situation. If he was given £100m to spend, would he know what to do with it?

Over the past three years, he has actually made a profit on his transfer dealings. Money has been available to spend; he just hasn't wanted to spend it. Instead, he has built a young team from scratch. Having lost players of the class Dennis Bergkamp, Thierry Henry, Robert Pires, Ashley Cole, Sol Campbell, Freddie Ljungberg, Patrick Vieira, Lauren, Jose Antonio Reyes and Edu all in such a short period of time, what Wenger has done in rebuilding the squad is already a phenomenal achievement and there is surely only better to come from them.

The team that beat Portsmouth cost less than £30m but, when you consider who has been sold over the last few years, the team actually cost nothing and yet they have taken ten points from a possible twelve in their first four games and have seen themselves safely into the Champions League. Arsenal fans are starting to feel that the old adage that 'Arsene Knows' might be proving itself a truism yet again.

Throwing money at a situation is almost always the wrong thing to do. During the summer, Spurs spent £50m and so far have looked no stronger than last year. Aston Villa and Manchester City have been the beneficiaries of large foreign investment but that has not turned them into title contenders overnight. Arsenal have always had a strong tradition and have always had their own very proper way of going about things. Only one team can win the Premiership every year and only one team can win the Champions League. No team can win both every year so it is more important that clubs take a long term view of things and stay true to themselves and retain their own personality and style.

Arsene Wenger has turned Arsenal into one of the most attractive footballing sides in Europe over the last ten years by sticking to his principles and he is possibly on the brink of achieving something special with his latest crop of players. If he can win trophies with that ethic, it will be far more satisfying than picking up silverware with a collection of overpaid mercenaries who have no real feeling for the club. David Dein and whichever allegedly shady, fly-by-night moneyman he is going to flirt with next are not needed and not wanted."

Word.

7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same article that was posted a little earlier (as a link), and discussed somewhat.

8. RealMadGunner

RealMadGunner Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    From the Independent ..

Stan Kroenke is to reassure the Arsenal board that he has no intention of mounting a takeover bid at present and, instead, is keen to push ahead with his original plans for the club to help improve Major League Soccer in the United States.

9. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    I wonder if Kroenke is now starting to understand why the board didn't trust David Dein in the first place. He'd be like the guy who stole a girl from another guy, and the first guy comes and tells the new guy that she's a slut and will cheat on him, and the guy laughs it off until he comes home and finds her in bed with someone else.

Damn that was convoluted.

If Kroenke's gotten religion and wants to pump some cash into the team, then good for him.

10. Skizz

Skizz Guest

Wow. Kroenke distancing himself from Dein. Dein must stink of as much bullshit as he talks.

11. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Question. I have recently seen/heard Dein referred to as "an orange c***", or as "his orangeness". Since the first person I heard speak that way was an Irishman (Arseblogger), I thought it might have to do with the whole England/Ireland, William of Orange thing, but I really don't know what I'm talking about. Why is Dein orange?

12. Skizz

Skizz Guest

Too much permatan I think.

[​IMG]

Look at him! He GLOWWWSSSS!!

13. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    When he's not cooking up ways of trying to destabilise Arsenal, he's sleeping under a sunbed, or basting himself with Sunny D.

It's all about the skin tone...

14. Skizz

Skizz Guest

LOL. Had to be done:

[​IMG]

15. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahh. Guess I never really took a look at him. Thanks!

16. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Following on AW's contract news, this is another sigh of relief...

Let's just forget Dein, Red&White (and Kroenke), and put this thread into dormant mode. :D

Things are really looking up again at the old Arsenal!!

17. wwnyc

wwnyc Member

Sep 5, 2004
  18. Gooner_for_Life

Oct 26, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, seems like an epidemic.

People in too much of a rush these days I guess.

20. DougG_ATL

DougG_ATL Member

Jul 5, 2005
    metro Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the ESPN column:
    Is this a compliment or an insult? I agree with the general "who needs Dein" tone of the article, but I think Wenger makes fiscally sound buys instead of big-money gambles. To imply that he doesn't know how to work the transfer market is ignorant of Wenger's approach.

21. jameslamont

jameslamont Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Norfolk, GB
    Dein is starting to really get on my nerves, he was on Sky News earlier saying that Wenger "told him" that he was considering leaving when Dein was ousted. Of course thats what he wants us to believe, that Dein being involed at Arsenal was crucial to him staying, and now Dein is trying to be through Red&White it helped convince Wenger to sign a new deal.

When I left his future was very much in the balance," Dein told Sky Sports News. "He said to me at the time that he wasn't sure if he wanted to stay on.

"We had a chat and I thought it was important that he should stay on for the future of the club.

So Wenger signed JUST because Dein spoke to him. Don't make me laugh David.

22. PsychedelicCeltic

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    It's neither really. Arsene's record of buying big isn't really the best - Wiltord and Reyes are 1 and 2 in Arsenal's biggest buys and they were basically flops. Francis Jeffers wasn't much either.

And obviously Wenger is really good at finding talent for very little. So the point is that big money Arsenal won't really lead to anything because Wenger won't spend it unless the club goes over his head.

23. jameslamont

jameslamont Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Norfolk, GB
    Which is very unlikely because Arsene has full reign and the final say over the footballing side of the club.

24. Skizz

Skizz Guest

And AW signed Jeffers instead of Horseface. And look how much of a success in the Prem he was!

Jeffers is now playing for Sheffield Wednesday, Horseface for Real Madrid. Says it all.

25. PsychedelicCeltic

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    As of right now. If a new owner comes in, that may change.
    Sigh..not one of Wenger's finest moments. Obviously things don't exist in a vacuum, but you'd have to think we'd have likely done the Double again in 2003 and won the European Cup in 2004 or something like that. Definitely the Double.

Anyway, a barb from Hill-Wood to Dein today:

Certainly suggests a very acrimonious relationship between Dein and the board in the last few years.
    Then some thoughts on the state of the Premier League:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/6987893.stm