Defending a throw-in

Discussion in 'Referee' started by stanger, Apr 29, 2015.

1. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    State Cup game, last year's finalist against upstart club, U16 girls.

Red has a girl that can throw the ball a mile, white decides to place a defender in front of her on the throw. When Red throws, White defender jumps and gets a yellow for jumping, USB. Ref tells white coach no foul if she doesn't jump, so the 2 yard distance is not the issue, the jumping is. Defender jumped straight up, not toward thrower.

I couldn't find anything in the Laws relating to jumping being USB. Have any of you called this? Should white have received a warning considering this was in the first 5 minutes of the game and the first time white did it?

2. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    ATR 15.5:

dadman, That Cherokee and stanger repped this.
  3. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks!

4. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Obviously YHTBT, but the OP makes it sound as if the defender jumps straight up "when red throws" hoping to contact the ball. I'm not certain how that becomes "unfairly distracting, interfering with, or impeding". Seems like an honest attempt to play the ball.

Repeated hopping, yes
    But I would never caution a single jump when the ball is thrown.

I realize it is in the sole discretion of the CR, but I'm not certain the CR fully understands the prohibition.

5. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    IF you aren't within two yards, jumping around like this is a basketball in bound is still not sporting behavior. This is also a situation that can instantly became a problem if you let it go. Consider the possibility that this is a U-16 boys game instead, with a thrower who can really throw it. The opponent stands, say, four yards away, and jumps up to block the throw. The throw whacks the defender in the face, breaking his nose. "Sorry. I was just trying to throw it to my teammate." Now, Mr. Referee, how are you going to deal with that?

soccerman771 repped this.
  6. refontherun

refontherun Member+

Jul 14, 2005
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the book, the ref had grounds to card the player, however, if there was no contact with the ball and the result of the throw appeared to be successful and meet the intent of the thrower, I don't see the need for a caution. A friendly reminder to the defender would be enough for me. I mean, did the caution really have any game management benefit? Probably the opposite. Frustration for the defenders.

sjquakes08 repped this.
  7. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    What about a single jump WHEN the ball is thrown?

8. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I've never found cause to get to USB on something like this. I've only seen it happen with younger players who don't know any better, where a "knock it off" is all that is needed. That said, I don't know what the R saw (which may be different than how Stanger saw it), nor what might have transpired before that moment (inlcuding what the R may have said to this or other players already), even if it was early in the game.

My gut is that I would have stopped the behaviour rather than going to plastic, but without seeing what actually happened and having the context, I don't know how we can really opine on what is a pretty unusual scenario in real soccer. (There are reasons we don't see this done ....)

dadman repped this.
  9. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A little clarification.

It was a singular jump as the ball was being thrown.

The first throw-in the girl threw it from just inside the half into the penalty area, so she could really throw it.

The girl that got the infraction was my daughter and the ref had said nothing to her before this, seeing as how this was the first time she did it.

It was in the first 5-7 minutes of the game.

The only goal scored by red was off the very next throw, which red played like a free kick.

We all thought a card without warning or even explanation to the player or the coach was a little harsh.

Good news, game ended in a 1-1 tie:)

The ref otherwise had a very good game.

dadman repped this.
  10. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    With your description, the card was incorrect.
    (Assuming she wasn't within 2 yards)

11. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Ah the perils of coaching......my first thought about this incident was "why have a player near the person throwing the ball in, when that player can be back helping defend better?"

But, that's why I'm a referee not a coach.

12. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Obviously, we are starting to talk about scenarios that exist in each of our minds but which are not identical to each other.

The operational issue that sometimes happens is that the player who gets whacked by the throw-in may have been struck unintentionally or perhaps intentionally. The referee can end up having to decide on something from the full range of injury/no foul all the way to injury/red card for striking. Me? I'd rather try to avoid having to make that decision. And, as Rufusabc said, other than being a wise guy, why would the defender be there? Is he tactically clueless? or trying to distract/interfere with the throw-in? Probably an easier sell if you make that decision before the throw-in is taken, rather than after.

dadman and socal lurker repped this.
  13. BigManIntheMiddle

Jan 10, 2013
    Inland Empire, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed in this case. If Red shows they are going to long bomb the throw, get back and mark up.
    If Red is taking TI and immediately backpassing to the thrower so he/she can put the ball through, then mark the thrower to break up the set play that way.

14. Pat Chewning

Pat Chewning Member

Dec 22, 2011
    Beaverton Oregon
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The purpose of this ATTR is to prevent defending against throwing, but allow defending against receiving. A single jump near the thrower without a receiving player nearby is USB. A throw in cannot be defended against. Only the receipt of the throw can be defended.

Hence the words to the effect that you cannot "impede the throw".

15. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    The arc of a throw in is a curve.
    The ball is at one low point when in the throwers hands
    The ball is at the second low point when it lands/is played
    The further the thrower is attempting to throw, the lower that arc will be.
    Thus, there are two points in which a defender can get to that ball.
    Being where it lands or being up close.

I've been coaching for 20+ years.
    If a team has a long thrower, I almost always place the player with the highest verticle jump at 2.5 yards.

Answer this:
    If I can legally jump and head a ball at 35 yards; at 20 yards, at 7 yards, why not at 2.5 yards.

There simply is no prohibition in taking a single jump in an attempt to play the ball at 2.5 yards. None.

As far as a playing getting whacked with a throw, the instructions are clear.

16. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Or maybe you *should* be a coach since yo would coach the players to do what the pros do instead of some silly ploy that has no chance of being successful . . . unless stanger's daughter is humongouesly tall and can leap like Michael Jordan, there is no way to get in the way of a ball being thrown a distance that starts from over the other player's head. Even if thrown at just a 30 degeree upward angle (which probably isn't enough height to make a really long throw into the PA -- physics says 45 degrees is ideal to get maiximum distance . . . ) the ball goes up 1/root3 feet for each foot it travels [remember that old 30-60-90 triangle from high school geometry?] -- that's more than a full yard of height in the two yards back the defender is. So unless she's taller than the girl making the throw *and* has a 36" standing vertical leap, and is perfectly positioned, she can't do anything at all to actually block the long throw . . . I can't imagine why the referee would start with a suspicion that something more was happening than the innocent attempt to intercept the throw . . .

dadman repped this.
  17. zipmiler

zipmiler Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Am I missing something? The ATR only states a player standing still is okay. What was the player jumping for if not to interfere with putting the ball back in play?

18. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    To play the ball

19. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Many throws are at vertical or even below.
    This is especially true at something like a u16 game.

20. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The idea is that the thrower will have to throw it higher, therefore shortening the distance of the throw, not actually making contact with the ball as it leaves the the hands of the thrower.

21. zipmiler

zipmiler Member

Nov 11, 2009
    But at 35 yards he's not trying to prevent a ball being put back into play. He is trying to defend a ball in the air. As a coach, think back to every time you've seen a punch thrown in a game. How many of those circumstances began with some inciting incident that the referee could have avoided (players holding the ball preventing quick restart, players grabbing ball out of net, repeated hard fouls with no cards). Even though the instructions are clear when a player strikes another with the ball, is it not in our best interest to handle the original interference before it escalates to this or at least before a player is hurt forcing us to make a decision?

"Position is maintained without movement" is really all we need to know. Jumping is moving and the referee can absolutely caution the case in the original post. The decision to can be based on skill, age, temp of match but some form of management should be required here, even if it is just talking.

dadman repped this.
  22. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    If that is the "idea," it is flat out wrong -- which just might be why you never see this done at the top levels. At a 30 degree upward incline, the defender has no chance to get at the ball. And increasing to 45 degrees will increase not decrease the distance the ball travels. http://www.physicsclassroom.com/mmedia/vectors/mr.cfm So the only chance this can impact the thrower is if it is well, an effort to distract the thrower . . . which gets us back to, well, that is what the ATR describes as USB . . .

But not the long ones, which was the whole premise of the discussion -- disrupting the long throw that is like a cross . . . a long throw has to be lofted at an angle to gain the necessary distance before gravity brings it to the ground.

(Oi! I can't believe I posted in this thread again. :speechless:)

That Cherokee, dadman and Venture5 repped this.
  23. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    I remember a video from a couple of years ago that made the rounds. It was a boys game, and there was a flip thrower who nailed the standing defender (twice I think!) and if memory serves there was a heated discussion whether it was a red card. To the thrower.

Nothing good can come of this situation. SoCal ( who may be a rocket scientist) has detailed the chances of said throw being intercepted. It appears the thrower had been successful on at least one previous throw in game so coach decides to guard thrower. If only This coach had been coaching against Duke in the Christian Laatner game!

I don't know if I would have gone to my pocket in this situation. Don't know what you gain as a referee here. But, I give so few cards, so this card able offense would really need to stand out.

24. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I disagree.
    First of all, it is impossible to prevent the ball from being put into play at 2+ yards. That's why we give 2 yards. If a ball travels two yards on to the pitch, it IS in play.
    Second, what is important is "Opponents are prohibited from unfairly distracting, interfering with, or impeding a player who is putting the ball back into play on a throw-in. ". If that's not happening, there should be no card. An attempt to play the ball, in this situation, is not cardable.

Once again, the ATR is pulling shit from its ass.
    There is an entire area of movement between "jumping about" and "no movement".
    There is nothing wrong with a single jump at the ball at 2+ yards.

Why would FIFA even bring up two yards if they are going to prohibit motion beyond two yards.

Are you going to card a guy that jumps at 10 yards? 15?
    You have to draw the line somewhere.
    Thankfully FIFA did it for us - 2 yards.

25. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Well, except that it's two separate requirements.

Two yards is the required distance. In addition to that, the Law (per the I&G) provides:

dadman and Chas (Psyatika) repped this.