Decent Grub/Beer Within Sight/Reasonable Vicinity of Stadium?

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by HalaMadrid, Aug 8, 2002.

1. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Need a place for lunch before the match Saturday and to serve as a landmark/meeting place for the fans to gather up before heading to the stadium.

Any suggestions?

2. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    Hala, this is the same info I posted on your board.

Deep Ellum is probably your best bet. It is about 5 minutes from the CB. There is a variety of restaurants that are age-friendly. You can see a complete list of all of the restaurants there at
    http://www.deepellumtx.com

Some good bets in Deep Ellum are:
    Angry Dog, you can get a good burger, cheese fries and a very cold beer.

Sol's taco lounge is got pretty decent Tex-mex.

Cafe Brazil serves some killer breakfast plates (on the natural-preservative free end of the food spectrum) for those of you craving a Saturday brunch.

3. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    If you want to be within walking distance of the CB. There are a couple of places (Bar of Soap, Coffeehaus) at the corner of Exposition Avenue and Fair Park. Plus you can always pickup an interesting read or two at Forebidden Books.

4. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I recommend "Matt's Rancho Martinez"
    It is a Mexican Food place that has been there for 20 years or so... Wonderful stuff.

It's at the Lakewood area.. next to the old Lakewood theater.
    Near the Lakewood country club.
    About 4 blocks from Cotton Bowl, on north side of I-35...
    You could walk to Cotton Bowl but it would take a half hour....
    Still it is a fantastic place one of the best on that side of town.

oops yes I-30

5. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I-35? Maybe you meant I-30?

6. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Looks like we're gonna go with Cafe Brasil. Maybe try one of the others for postmatch.

Thanks for the info.

No thanks for everything else. :p

7. Danwoods

Danwoods Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Bertram, TX, US
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Medeival Times

Opinions on this place? Part of the deal with driving up for games is that my wife gets a good dinner. Does that place qualify? We've been going to Il Sole the last few times but it's time for a change.

8. BurnGlorious

BurnGlorious New Member

Jun 27, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    Re: Medeival Times

Whatever else people may say about MT (a world class tourist trap being one), I would harldy consider their food to be a "good dinner." While watching a laughable show, you get fed a hunk of chicken and a drink. And you're considered a savage if you ask for utensils.

Try something in the West End.

Jeff

9. Danwoods

Danwoods Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Bertram, TX, US
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the opinion. It helps me make more games in a round about way.

10. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    Re: Medeival Times

What is your definition of a good dinner? There are plenty of choices in every price range.

If your wife is a meat eater, Fogo de Chao in Addison is an experience she will never forget. It will cost between 1 and 2 bills depending on how much booze you have, but it is worth it.

La locura rojinegra

11. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    How much do you want to pay? Where are you staying?

Texas de Brazil, in Turtle Creek. $$$ to $$$$
    Bob's Steak and Chop House, Lemmon Ave, $$$$
    West End fare is Tony Roma/Friday's/etc
    Edamame, Lemmon Ave, awesome vietnamese, $$
    Liberty Noodle, off Greenville, $ to $$ good place
    There's a restaurante in the Reunion Tower Ball, rotates, I think $$$
    Three Forks Steakhouse, Mansion on Turtle Creek, both $$$$$
    Gershwins, $$$, nice place
    Uncle Julio's Mexican Food, cute, $$
    Gloria's Mexican and Salvadoran, Lemmon Ave or Greenville Ave, $$ and good value, so is Blue Goose, $ to $$
    Sonny Bryans BBQ, $$ classic Texas, not as good as Goode Co, $$
    French Room, in the Adolphus Hotel, very elegent, $$$$$
    Jeroboam, downtown French Bistro, new and popular, $$ to $$$
    At the I-35 junction with Northwest Highway, there's a dozen places all in the $$ to $$$ range, including Trail Dust, Pappadeaux, Goode Co., etc

12. Danwoods

Danwoods Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Bertram, TX, US
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably staying at the Crowne Plaza (Market Center) as we get good rates thru work. I haven't been to adventurous up there. Usually drive up, find the one restaurant that I know,. eat, go to the game, and either crash or drive home.
    The last couple of time we've been there we spent about $150-200 on dinner (good example for McKinney or whoever else wonders about building stadiums) so that covers a lot of ground.

13. Jambon

Jambon Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Didn't you see my post in the Chi forum? Cafe Brazil is a nice choice for some lunch, but you are totally screwing yourselves if you don't go to New Amsterdam/Xpo Lounge/Deep Ellum for post game beverages. Avoid West End at all costs unless you are looking for Tourist/Family entertainment, although the grassy knoll is over there.

14. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Dallas Morning News has extensive restaurant reviews available on the internet that are well worth checking out.

You can sort the restaurant listing by cuisine, price, neighborhood, etc. The restaurants are rated on a scale of 1 star to 5 stars, and each restaurant listed has a link to a street map that shows you exactly where its located.

http://www.guidelive.com/section/restaurants

15. Alex Sanz

Alex Sanz New Member

Apr 6, 2000
    TX
    Where are all those post-game, near-fair-park bars located exactly? Would they be open for business early on Saturday (5:00 pm-ish)?

I've always ventured to the Greenville area after games, but wouldn't mind finding a place closer to the bowl ....

16. Jambon

Jambon Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Alex,

The bars I mentioned are literally adjacent to Fair Park. They are some of the coolest I've found recently and that area of Exposition is slowly becoming an underground success.

You go to the bars and to the game the same way. Take 75/45 to 30 and go east. Your first exit is 2nd Ave. It takes you south until the roads ends 1/2 mile later in a T on Parry. Turn left and the second light I believe is Expostion. One block further on Parry you will see the entrance to parking on the right. You leave the game the same way.

The New Amsterdam is 100' up Expostion from Parry. They have great beers on tap like Chimay and a 10-12% monk ale called Maredsous. They have backgammon boards if you want to play and it's just really uncrowded and relaxed. Dark and quiet too, one of my favorite places. I usually stop in for a beer before the game so I expect they would be open at 5. There's a deli on the corner as well.

A half block up Expostion is a brand new club called Minc. It used to be a wiccan supply store, and still has lots of the original pagan decor complemented with murals of Ganeesh and general pantheism. Well worth a look.

1/2 mile further up Exposition is the Xpo Lounge. Very counterculture and slacker filled. Casual, laid back, great place.

And of course you can just keep on going up Expositon to Deep Ellum if you want a known commodity. You should really check out this area.

17. sweeper33

sweeper33 Member

Jul 24, 2000
    Cold, hard corn dog and a piss warm Bud Light at the Cotton Bowl $$$$$$$$$$

Candy is extra

18. inferno man

inferno man Member

Nov 26, 1999
    Texas
    Curious, where is Hockley, TX?

19. Danwoods

Danwoods Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Bertram, TX, US
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hockley is a big corn field about 5 miles west of Tomball. Tomball is Northwest of Houston.
    Hockley has all the requirements of a small town. A bar, a post office, and a gas station.

20. Alex Sanz

Alex Sanz New Member

Apr 6, 2000
    TX
    thanks Jambon. I didn't make it to the game on Saturday (I know, I'm a wuss), but I will definitely try one of those places after the Gals game.

21. ZenCarver

ZenCarver New Member

May 26, 2003
    Richardson, TX
    yes, but does it have a Dairy Queen? no Texas town is complete without one.

oh wait, the chances of a reply at this juncture are slim-to-none, right?

22. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where did you dig up that old fossil?

23. ZenCarver

ZenCarver New Member

May 26, 2003
    Richardson, TX
    it's as far back as BS will go - i'm reading old threads cuz this place is dead right now and i'm bored at work. trying to find any with relevance cuz revisiting the past can be interesting sometimes.

24. runningman

runningman Member

Feb 7, 2005
    East Dallas
    I was under the impression that the Xpo Lounge failed to renew its lease sometime in 2004, so it is no more. But I could be wrong, I have not been there in years.

25. ZenCarver

ZenCarver New Member

May 26, 2003
    Richardson, TX
    check the dates on the posts - i'm dredging up skeletons from 2002. ;)