Death of Retired Vice Adm. James B. Stockdale

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Sine Pari, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ
    http://www.defenselink.mil/releases/...0705-3886.html
    That's who he really was.

RIP sir

2. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I hope there's no traffic on the way to his funeral. Otherwise, the mourners would be in........GRIDLOCK!!!!!

3. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Ross Perot's VP, right?

4. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ
    Yes

5. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    He should never have agreed to become Perot's running mate, and Perot should never have put him in that position.

I was going to say it tarnished his legacy - well, his real legacy is untarnishable. But it's a shame that after his career, the nation's introduction to him was in that disastrous vice-presidential debate. He deserved a lot better.

6. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    That, and if you look at the guys he was debating it wasn't even close (says the democrat).

Sen Al Gore. VP Dan Quayle. And this guy.

Transcript

But, he looked bad on TV, and was sunk.

Sad that TV can make a "star" out of a talking bag of hair like Stone Phillips and ruin the image of a guy like this. Shocking.

Rest Easy, bro.

8. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. But he did have one of the best lines in American debate history...

I believe that a woman owns her body and what she does with it is her own business, period.

(Applause.)

Period.

(Applause.)

It's interesting to read the transcripts of that debate, because Stockdale's words read better now than they sounded when I watched it.

But regardless of what he did in 1992, a truly great man. RIP.

9. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed.

10. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Yeah, I'm reading the part Jamison quoted and I'm thinking this couldn't possibly be the guy who became the butt of SNL jokes.

11. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but if Chevy Chase could make a name for himself doing pratfalls to make fun of a President who was, in actuality, an incredible athlete...it's not too surprising, I suppose.

12. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    RIP. AFAIC the term hero is thrown around far too freely. But not in Admiral Stockdale's case. He really was a true American hero.

:(

13. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    [​IMG]

Very sorry to hear this news. Admiral Stockdale was tough as nails and one of the finest men this nation has ever produced. RIP.

14. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    I admit, my first real exposure to him was the debates, and I laughed and laughed. Then I read about who he actually was. I felt about, oh, two inches high. Godspeed, Admiral.

15. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    A true American hero.

May he RIP.

16. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    That was pretty much my reaction as well. The only thing funnier was the Democractic and Republican spinmeisters arguing that their opponent finished in 3rd place in the debates.

17. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002

Um... Did you SEE the 92 VP debate? It's pretty obvious a lot of people here haven't.

18. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps I did not articulate my point well enough. Yes, I SAW the 92 VP debate....and the SNL sketch parody of it......it was during my first year of law school and I watched it with a bunch of classmates.

My point was that parodies like those done by SNL comics don't really take into consideration the total person.....they pick one flaw or odd moment....like Ford slipping or Stockdale looking lost during the debate and that becomes the person.

19. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember that too. Read his book A Vietnam Experience, utterly compelling.
    RIP.

20. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    It's a mixed bag. Frankly, if he wasn't Perot's running mate, he would have been another great American who passed away in total obscurity despite his incredible life story.

I felt uncomfortable for him during that debate, but I am a better person for having learned about him, and that would most likely have never happened without Ross Perot.

Knowing the ravaging effects of alzheimer's, I feel a sense of relief for the person when they final pass. Same with Reagan last year. Such a full life shouldn't end that way.

21. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    It moves to the top of my list. Thanks.

22. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I completely agree with this point.

At least now people will be discussing Stockdale's heroic career and many accomplishments, but IMO SNL did little to shape Stockdale's image. Sadly, that was accomplished during the debate, the only time most Americans were exposed to him. In fairness, I doubt any of us would have done better.

23. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    That's an interesting point. How many people would have heard about the brilliant Salieri but for Amadeus (and other libels dating back to the early 19th century)?

24. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

That's why I pasted in a bio that completely ignored the VP run

25. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    While it's sad that his only moment in the national spotlight was the 1992 VP debate, most casual observers just moved onto the next joke of the week. But if his candidacy inspired even a few people to find out more about him, then I think the good that came out of it outweighs the bad.