Dear La Norte

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by MeridianFC, Aug 12, 2002.

1. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    First let me say I think you guys, even with your lesser numbers, are doing a fine aul' job at making noise at the game. That said there are two things I took exception to on Saturday.

1) "Meola is a ******************" chant. Do not be so ************ing dense. This is 2002, come back from the dark ages. I'm not talking about being politically correct for everything you do, call him an asswipe, a fat slob, ************ eating crap keeper, etc. The reason I do not like that chant are a) Meola is not gay, b) saying Meola is gay is offensive to gays. Seriously though, it's just not cool.

2) Do not throw ************ at players. Again it was Meola. I know he's a chump and the opposition gk, but y'all are complaining about the short shrift you get from security and here you are exhibiting behavior that warrants closer scrutiny and tougher policing measures. In the end it make all of DC look classless.

You can call me a boring aul' ************ all you want, but I think you know I'm right.

Signed

Yer Dad.

2. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed on both.

signed,

Resident of Section 120

3. b1968k

b1968k New Member

Aug 4, 2002
    Logan Circle, DC
    offended? Yes.

Hey,

As a gay man I don't want Meola lumped in with me - that's really offensive.

Besides, I would hope you could come up with something a little more creative - I mean you've been using that homophobic stuff since grade school.

4. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Ditto on the homophobic nonsense.

Get creative already.

5. Darth_Norteno

Darth_Norteno New Member

Being a proud member of LN, I take exception to "homo" chants. These are usually from people who are happy to sit in such primo seats as Section 120, but will not sing, dance, or even acknowledgethemselves as Northsiders. Calling someone a c*nt or a d*ck every now and again is all right; but I find myself cringing every time someone makes up a song about how faggy someone is or that they slept with so-and-so's mother-you all know who you are. That has nothing to do with why they really suck; the fact that they dare to darken the hallowed pitch of RFK. I wasn't at the KC match (car troubles), but this has been ongoing for a few matches now. In closing, I want to say this to all the people past, present and future of 120 (true Nortenos excluded, of course): La Norte have a reputation to maintain. In case you haven't noticed, we've been getting mad props from far and wide for our support of DCU. If you're sitting in 120, you're a part of that reputation, even if it's for one game. We don't need a bunch of oafs marring what should be the greatest experience of everyone's week; a DC United match. Save the "homo" crap for a Redskins game. If not, don't bother coming to the Northside.

6. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    La Norte hasn't been complaining about security - in fact, Sachin has stated time and time again that the group has a mutually respectful relationship with the goon squad.

That said, when Todd gets up to his junior hoolie shenanigans, the goons do step in but I don't think - and Todd, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong - that they've been unfair or harsh or brutal. They were right to throw him out when he threw the Freekick at Sigi the Hutt. However, he remains my hero for doing so. :D

7. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    I hit him right in his fat belly...definitely worth it even if had to miss a game or 2.

The CSC security has an understanding with La Norte it seems like. We aren't harrassed about sitting down, jumping and singing, or throwing streamers. The cops got me for the Freekick to the gut of Sigi, and another officer on Saturday warned me about throwing anymore donuts at Meola would result in getting kicked out.

I'm not using this as an excuse or anything, but when you're stuck in the middle of a 531 minute scoreless streak in which we are dominating games, the frustration just begins to boil over. Throwing mini donuts at Meola isn't going to harm anyone, and it caused a good laugh, which was why I brought the donuts. I also brought a big Orange Traffic Cone to the game, but coudln't find any of the BS people in the parking lot to show off the "new mystery forward".

Nothing that I have done or will do will cause any harm to any opposition players or coaches, but it should be noted that we need to do our best to create a definitive home-field advantage for our team, especially while we're in the midst of this dismal scoring slump.

Sorry I've rambled on so long in this post, but just to restate, everything that the CSC staffers and the Cops have done so far this season with La Norte I agree with.

Kelly, if you and others don't agree with throwing mini donuts at Meola, then I'm not asking you to, just letting you know I do it in good humor, without attempting to harm anyone. The gay smack, however, is not something that I started, or condone from La Norte. On the other hand, if it is the only thing that can get our section singing together, then I won't be abstaining from singing along.

PS Barb it's good to know that I'm your hero. :)

8. ROAVA

ROAVA New Member

Nov 9, 2000
    on a positive note I think you guys in la norte are great when my family and I attended the game vs new england we were walking out behind you guys after the game as you were still chanting for DC you guys let my two boys hit your drums for a few minutes they loved it I haven't had a chance to say so before but thanks.....

9. Darth_Norteno

Darth_Norteno New Member

Anytime, man, anytime.

10. mikelley037

mikelley037 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    LaNorte rules!!!!! sect 120 !!!!!

11. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    OK, I confess. I noticed Todd had some ammo left, so I heaved a donut. BUT, it was in between regulation and OT, i.e. nobody was on the field at the time. I just figured Tony might need help finding his way back to the goal, so it was like a Hansel and Gretel thing...

I've got to work on my arm strength, though, I barely reached the goal line! :p

And I think the cops were mostly concerned that we were wasting "perfectly good" donuts!

I just know that inside that trim and fit looking body, there is a fat guy just waiting to come out. Tall about karma, though - I finally get my picture in ECG, and I look fat! :eek: I guess it's true that the internet adds 10 lbs...

Don't know where the gay stuff comes from. I don't remember Hartman getting the same treatment (of course that was a long time ago - I seem to recall we won that game). I agree that it's stupid and also doesn't seem to have much of an effect.

I guess "Fat" Tony got the last laugh this time. I will give him credit, though, for hanging around afterwards and signing autographs (not for La Norte, of course!).

12. Sober Tom

Sober Tom Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Glassboro, South Jer
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    La Norte would probably have a whole lot more members if people weren't so concerned with having a great view of the game. I could give a crap about the specs of the game, just as long as my support helps the team to win or gives them a little bit more motivation. Sorry, I don't want to sound like an ass, but I wish the supporters group would all be behind the goal, where they're supposed to be in the first place. I also think it's funny when people in the "midfield" supporters clubs complain about getting asked to sit down. Why do you think that happens? Because most soccer moms are gonna want to sit at midfield and be able to see the game well. I think it's good that La Norte is actually behind the net, they probly don't catch as much slack as SE/BB do, just because the North End are cheap seats. I'm not trying to start a pissing match, it just confuses me when supporters groups claim they want to have all out support for United, but will forego doing so if it means that they can have a good view of the game. If all 3 supporters groups were together(i.e. Chicago) then RFK would be the best place to get a good atmosphere anywhere in the country. Sorry, I'm done.

13. Luis Chavez

Luis Chavez Red Card

Jul 11, 2001
    burke, va
    hey first off we dont does this to offend anyone we do it to throw meola off his game, Im a DC FAN BUt first I am a US fan and i respect what meola has done, no when you play my team (DC, USA) i dont car if your my brother I will do whatever it takes to throw you off your game, that is what a supporters group is about, helping your team as the 12th MAN, Now about throwing dougnuts maybe we got a little out of hand there but we did it all in the name of fun.

I NEVER did understand why La Barra OR the eagles were seated in midfield, the back of the goal is the place to be.

14. Sober Tom

Sober Tom Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Glassboro, South Jer
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agreed...move behind the goal for one game and see what happens...especially La Barra...you guys are very similar to La Norte, why not join together once.

15. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Luis, I think it is so that when games are on TV we give a good account of fan support. Since the camera is frequently in these areas, it's good to see hundreds of people bouncing up and down. It's also a good way to get a balanced view of the whole match.

I agree that sitting behind the goal is the most effective place to make yourself felt on the pitch however.

16. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Hey Tame, I see your in Jersey. How long have you been going to DC United games at RFK? If you actually attended games or lived here I think people listen a little more, or for that matter you would know our histories/issues a little better.

--Politics aside I admit I like the view from La Norte BUT you are ignoring the fact that the Barra and SE's have been around a lot longer. La Norte was formed when they split off from the Barra. They chose to split off not the other way around. So the idea that we should all move to them so "we can all be together" doesnt make sense.

--Second, for a variety of reasons the SE/BB prefer to sit at midfield. One of the Barra's being that we prefer the premimium seats. Sure the supporters clubs in OTHER countries tend to be behind the goal, but you are forgetting that in most countries the stadium isnt half empty either. Here in the USA Barra we can afford to pay for the higher priced seats and at the same time occupy a positon that gives the team (and ourselves) better exposure. How many times can you recognize other teams clubs on tv compared to us? (SE/BB)

--While I wish we could fill the lower sections until La Norte and the Barra meet we just can't right now. What La Norte does is great. We all respect their reasons for doing what they do, but are they in an obviously better place then the rest? No. Are we going to sit there just because "other countries" do it that way? Hell no. I also invite you to come hang out with some of the "soccer mom" types that sit at midfield in the Barra Brava... It shows how much you know what you are talking about. The issue is a LOT more complex then what you take it for.

17. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Silly us. :rolleyes:

18. Sober Tom

Sober Tom Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Glassboro, South Jer
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Fair enough. That's all ya needed to say...and if there are "soccer moms" in the Barra, doesn't that mean that they're not "soccer moms"? Is there like, "Soccer Mom #1 and Soccer Mom #2? Thanks for the history of the whole matter though, i'll shut up with my persistent questioning of SC's in RFK. And if Jersey wasn't 3 hours away and I-95 didn't suck and I didn't have to work 11 hours on Saturday, I'd be there everyweekend. Unforunately it's not like that, so when I sound ignorant to a certain issue, just correct me and i'll quit mouthin off about it.

19. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    hehehe no man its cool. I was just wondering about you since you did sound so passionate about this! --remember this IS DC and politics are the REAL sport in this city. Nothing is ever clear cut and simple we always wonder what the real agenda is! ;-)

By the way there are NO soccer moms in the Barra Brava... that was my attempt at sarcasm. The only women we get in there are a couple of diehard veteran gals and some unfortunate occasional hot girl friends that get dragged along unknowingly of what is waiting for them! (see the www.barra-brava.com web page photos for proof!! :)

Your idea IS a good one, but sadly its just a bit more difficult then all that. --Owen

20. Upper90s

Upper90s New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Ashburn ,Va
    Be for the split of LN and BB My Mother did not miss a game since Midseason of our 1st year. Now over at LN my mother is know as a "Den Mother" Or the La Tia( the Aunt) Of La Norte. So there were soccer moms and will be soccer moms. And My mother will and ALWAYS will be a DC United Fan any where she sits.

21. Upper90s

Upper90s New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Ashburn ,Va
    I have issues that I want to make public. 1. Concerning the attendance of the La Norte. 2. The possible dissolve of the La Norte. 3. Next Year?

I have been with La Norte since day one. The useless meetings at Terra y Mare. The useless effort of promoting La Norte and the embarrassments of La Norte. What gets me more PO is the so-called " Board of Directors" jumped ship. Leaving La Norte to continue with only 5 people at times. That not Includes Shawn in the lower corner and My mother. (Who in fact miss 7 games the last 2 seasons). Less than started it all. Sad really.

I have talk to the others and I have been told not to post anything about this matter well "f" that. I'm tired of the "fare weather fans" show up when ever they feel like it or when ever DCU starts doing well. And they have but that’s another story. When I joined La Norte I saw a group of guys that would travel over the world to see this team (NYC was close) But what happened? No heart? Now as for the split of La Norte. I would like to get some Input back on this I'm giving La Norte one and I mean ONE LAST TIME. Since Luis and I are the only they only survivng members I would like to ride the rest of the season the last 3 games then move back to the SE/BB side. I have the blessing of Oscar the head of the BB and we are more than welcome to come over next year.

My last point. I love the View. I love the Location. (Yelling at the Petke and the rest of the Metrobums. Someone from the BB&SE should take this view in. Sit much higher in the section if you want. But for all the new the old and the diehards that sit in 120 let me know what you want to do. Please lets all try to let the bleeding stop.

Pepe.

22. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Pepe, I just wanted to say that when La Norte first got started I had my doubts. But when I saw what you guys brought to the games I was really impressed. I think United needs to have your presence behind the goal. When you guys bring it, you bring it hard and it's a great thing to see from all other aspects of the stadium. I really hope you can salvage and build on what you started. You have a great core with people like Sachin and Thamlin. United's play of late doesn't help matters much I know, but hang in there. I think we all feel frustrated over the way this season has gone. The Barra will always be there for you. Just keep giving it 100% and good things will happen. Good luck....Chico

23. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want to see you guys leave. I enjoy the atmosphere you guys bring to the section. I would love to have you guys stay with me.

Shawn

24. Luis Chavez

Luis Chavez Red Card

Jul 11, 2001
    burke, va
    hey pepe what we need to do is ride these last games, and see how many season tickets we can sell for next year, then we can determine what to do. There is ************ing nothing worse then sitting in LA NORTE and having 6 people there, But there is nothing better than the ALL STAR GAME, USA URUGUAY GAME, thats when we shined im not ready to give that up, its going to be a tough situation, and i know we dont represent all of LA NORTE but we are the ones that are always there, and that aight right that people diss us by not showing up.

25. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chuckle...