Dean considering bid to head DNC

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Manolo, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20041108/ap_on_re_us/dean_dnc_1

I'm sure someone on this board will be too tempted to refer to the Dean scream in Iowa, but on a serious note, the DNC badly needs a serious overhaul and an actual message for voters. We can't have the infighting and lack of clarity that has caused the last two Democratic campaigns to be disastrous in terms of focus and message. Dean, for all his flaws, is all about giving personality and character to the Democratic party.

2. He's In Fashion

Jan 7, 2000
    Littlefun, CO, US
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dean's only flaw was speaking the truth, and even trying early on to reach out to Southern voters. He'll be able to keep the party on message without whoring out the party.

The Democratic Party owes Howard Dean BIG TIME... especially after the hatchet-job the DLC did on him. It's time to get away from the DLC and Clinton run to the middle. The gauntlet has been laid. Dean's got the stones to run it.

3. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm not much a fan of the DLC, but I recall Clinton was the guy that won two elections and a (let's be honest, sheesh!) liberal Senator from MA lost an election.

4. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    I don't think "Mental Patient" is the best personality for the Democratic Party, but I may be wrong....

5. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please let this be true. And here we thought Terry McAuliffe was a bit out there...

6. He's In Fashion

Jan 7, 2000
    Littlefun, CO, US
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I recall the same thing... And you're right, we shouldn't run another liberal senator from MA... It should be a Western Governor, someone like Bill Richardson... But this is the position of DNC Chair, not President...

And can someone tell me how Howard Dean is a mental patient? Because of a direct mic? Seriously... It kills me that Reeps can get away with throwing a label loaded with bullsh!t like "a liberal senator from Massachussettes" like it's satan's spawn as opposed to what? Cracker Ass Southern Baptist Conservative?

Straight dope for the Nation... The Doctor's In.

7. eneste

eneste Member

Mar 24, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA
    If it's too difficult to attack the message, attack the messenger.

8. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't that hanging on a sign above the front door of the Republican National Headquarters?

9. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    No, it's stapled to John Kerry's forehead.

10. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, that's why it seems so familiar.

11. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    I think this is a mistake by the DNC and that it will too easily be spun against the Democrats. Dean is viewed as an anti-war extremist by jesusland. Appointing him will hurt the Dems chances in jesusland.

12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the Dems' plan is to win over Jesusland, the game is over.

The plan should be to win Ohio, win back Iowa, and win states south and west of Colorado (inclusive.) Except, forget Utah.

Everything that helps the Dems win Ohio, Iowa, New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, and Nevada, is a good idea.

13. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm tired of this crap.

I'm tired of watching the GOP lower our expectations of government and our elected leaders. I'm tired of lowering our sights. I'm tired of "the soft bigotry of low expectations".

We (the DNC) should celebrate our beliefs; we should take a stand and show the American people that we can and should expect more from government than a fatter paycheck and faux "security" and "morality"; we should clearly define our party as an organization that believes that you can't pay teachers too much or provide enough help to those truly in need. We should proudly provide our vision of an America not divided by the demons of our darkest nature, but one of raised standards and intelligent and thoughtful debate.

In short, the DNC needs to embrace true liberalism and challenge the RNC to abandon the "divide and conquer" strategy which debases our election process. If Howard Dean is the man to do it, I'm behind him 100%.

14. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, let's get this out of the way for something like the 6 millionth time: Dean is not a liberal. He was against the Iraq War, but being against the Iraq War does not make someone a liberal; it makes them sane. Look at his NRA record, his compromise on the gay marriage issue, his balanced budgets, his tax cuts, etc.

15. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't that the Leo McGarry speech when he fired everyone on Bartlett's campaign except Toby? :D

Kidding, it does sound like that, but you are right. Question is, will this getting back to Dem values win in 2008?

16. DynamoKiev_USA

DynamoKiev_USA New Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD
    Heh good luck to the democrats with that choice. :/

17. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe not in '08, but I still think it needs to be done. We need to think long-term.

18. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Exactly. Plus, he is also a doctor, so he will be the perfect guy to have around when the results of the next election come in and everybody is fainting and having heart attacks.

19. DynamoKiev_USA

DynamoKiev_USA New Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD
    :D

20. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    Just look who else is interested or has been linked with some interest. I'll name one who was pretty much told to look elsewhere, John Edwards. In theory, most of the people looking to head the party are actually looking for a better position for the nomination. I'll give you another name, Iowa Gov. Tom Vilsack.

I really question this...

Who are the 240 or so members of the party who will be making this choice?

and

Why not allow all the party paying members to vote?

21. Georgio

Georgio New Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Canada
    Because they chose John Kerry, a man who Karl Rove wanted to win the Democratic Nomination - and some might argue helped orchestrate Kerry's DNC victory.

They didn't want to go against Dean because it would have been a real choice for the voters, someone who would have been in true opposition to the Repubs and Neocons, not a Washington insider easily painted as a flip flopper who voted for Bush's War.

22. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The parties in the US are NOT dues-paying organizations. So there's no such thing as "party paying members."

23. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Just what the repubs want: Another Northeasterner leading the dems that will alienate "red" america.

24. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JUST THE THING FOR THE DEMOCRAT PARTY! A FAR LEFT LIBERAL!
    yup... Dean for the DNC!

That will help Jeb Bush in 2008!

IntheNet
    Jeb Bush in 2008!

25. eneste

eneste Member

Mar 24, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I think the above needs posted again.