Dealing with other officials

Discussion in 'Referee' started by spectre013, Sep 7, 2007.

1. spectre013

spectre013 Member

Sep 5, 2007
    Colorado
    Just want to get some opinions on dealing with other officials that tend to take over for no real reason.

We had an official that came into our area from a larger market, he is a an older official (nothing wrong with that just that he is) and has a lot to offer but some times don't know when to be quiet and listen. He also tends to over evaluate every rule and every situation to the point of making it more confusing then it needs to be.

Just this week I had 2 games with this official and both times he really stepped on the centers toes, taking over the pre-game, halftime and post game.

How would you approach this situation. Been refereeing for 7 years and this is kinda new to me as I have never really worked with another referee that I didn't get a long with.

2. refereejoe

refereejoe New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Bay Area - Cal North
    You deal with it tactfully.

If you both are ARs and he tries to take over, just ask the referee directly what his instructions are.

If you're the referee and he is your AR, you tell him something along the lines of, "I appreciate your willingness to help out, you certainly have a lot of experience. Think you could observe how I handle things and provide feedback afterward?"

Try to find ways to appeal to his ego without challenging him. Those "type" of guys won't ever respond well no matter how much they deserve it. So long as he is a good referee and contributes to the game, it's better to put up with his ego than lose a good referee. If he's a terrible referee and refuses to be open-minded and courteous then you just have to approach your coordinator and hope others do the same.

3. njref

njref Member

Mar 29, 2003
    New Jersey
    When you refer to the pregame, halftime, and postgame, I am not clear if you mean meetings of the referee team or discussions with players or coaches.

An AR "who doesn't know his place" is really showing up the CR and undermining his authority if he does it in front of others. If that is the case, he needs a serious and immediate talking to. If the CR doesn't do it, the other AR should.

If it is a meeting of the ref team, I think a more experienced AR can do more talking, or even most of the talking, as long as he is deferential about it. A senior AR is not in a position to give orders though, and if he starts throwing his weight around, the CR or other AR should give him a polite cuffing. It may be a little awkward for a senior AR to defer to a new CR, especially if the new CR is screwing up or isn't listening, but that is the way it has to be.

I have had much more senior officials as ARs, and they have made polite corrections to my technique and made suggestions to improve the team interaction in a very nice way, and I really appreciated both their tact and their comments. In fact, I specifically solicited their input. I also had a senior official refer to me in a patronizing way in front of a team before a game, as though he was training me. Every comment he made that day went into my mental circular file.

4. spectre013

spectre013 Member

Sep 5, 2007
    Colorado
    njref,

Was referring to the officials time to go over the game. He is an ok official.

I think the 2 things that set me off was we had a long ball sent down and all the players pulled up as did I around mid-field, and for some reason the keeper decided to play it and miss played it and gave the other team a corner and my trouble AR just would not let this go its all he talked about at half and just wouldn't let any one talk.

Then after the game he was still going on about the play in the first half and then on the walk off the field I get "You know if it wasn't for me you would have lost control of the game" This really shocked me as the game went well and all he called in the second half was a couple off side plays.

Think its time to write a nice letter to him and CC the assignors cause at this point something needs to be said.

5. refereejoe

refereejoe New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Bay Area - Cal North
    Saying, "if it wasn't for me you would have lost control of the game" is ludicrous from any official. I wouldn't CC him on anything you decide to write, though. Just communicate with those responsible and let them handle it.

Biggest suggestion I can make is to remain professional. Try not to come across as whiney :)

If all else fails, just tell the assignor that when you work with this particular official he is too distracting for you to focus on your responsibilities. See if he'll agree to not putting you on the same games.

6. njref

njref Member

Mar 29, 2003
    New Jersey
    Sorry I misunderstood your scenario. This is not someone who talks too much, this is someone who is a jerk and talks too much.