"Deal Or No Deal"

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by KCbus, Dec 19, 2005.

1. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anybody else watch this on NBC? Deal Or No Deal? I just got done watching it, and I was nervous as hell living vicariously through that lady. More nerve-racking than Millionaire ever was.

2. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    It was ok, but it was WAAAAAY too drawn out. I mean it took them 1 hour for 1 contestant. The Price is Right does 6 contestants, 2 "Wheels", and a Showcase Showdown in the same amount of time.

Im all for dramatic pauses and stuff but this was ridiculous. Millionaire was a bit like this too but after a while they started editing the game more where more contestants got on.

Ultimatley tho this was fun, and I bet its going to be fun for about 2 more episodes. Then its going to get old because its the same crap over and over again. Even with Millionaire it was the same, but atleast that had a bit more depth and strategy to it that it allowed for different outcomes to happen.

I wouldnt be surprised if people stopped watching the third episode in.

3. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, it was drawn out. But it worked on me.

There were two ways someone could look at it: Too long between important moments, or brilliantly suspenseful.

4. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I've been waiting to see an American version of this show after years of watching the Italian Version. They did a pretty decent job with it. I don't like Howie Mandel. I think they could've found someone better. Otherwise, it's pretty good. One thing that they introduced was this 'family help'. In the Italian version, they only allow the contestant to decide, no one is allowed to intervene. And the family made her lose $138,000....

5. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Didn't watch it, but I read that the reviews were horrible, and that it required no skill or intelligence. So no way I'm gonna watch it.

6. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the one where they have @20 boxes with different monetary amounts inside, correct?

I've seen this show in England, I wonder what the US-version is like.

7. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Yes, Noel Edmonds is presenting it....

:eek: :cool:

I've seen the French version (a prendre ou a laisser - take it or leave it), and over there its more like a prime-time and tends to be a bit more of a spectacular type quiz.

I think in the UK they went with the low-key, chilled out, tea-time post Countdowny quiz type thing and so far it works quite well.

I would heartly imagine that the US version is more like the French one than the UK version. Probably even more so, knowing American gameshows.

I believe in the US version, the boxes are held by glamorous models and not some hairy truck driver from Rotherham.

8. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What they do in Italy is have 20 cases, and models don't hold them. Since there are 20 regions in Italy, a representative from each region has a case. Also, there are 3 non-monetary prizes. You can win a salami, or a toothbrush, or even a traffic light! I still think that prime-time game shows won't ever work in America like they do in France, Italy, etc.

9. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a pretty sweet programme(UK version), I thought Noel Edmonds would be completely crap but he's OK.

"20 boxes, one contestant, the chance to win £250,000, and no questions, apart from one....................deal, or no deal" :cool:

10. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked it at least for one viewing. She was greedy to turn down that $138,000.Her family lost her a lot of money. She finally got smart and didn't listen to her family at the end took the $25,000 or she would have ended up with $500.

11. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    I'd like to see the Australian version. As many of us already have:

"Bust a deal, spin the wheel!"

12. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked it, but it seemed like something i could only watch once a month. I got pissed when she got greedy. :mad:

13. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul
    I liked it more than I thought I would.

The "offers" from the banker are based on the expected value of the payout based on the amounts left on the board. So when it gets down to the end, you are basically making a choice between taking the expected value of the gamble vs. keep going and hoping to get lucky (i.e., have chosen a big number initially) or pushing the EV higher by eliminating more low amounts.

While I'm no Howie Mandel fan, the first contestant's husband was the one who was annoying to me. I ended up hoping they would lose, just becaues he was being such an idiot--especially when he "made" her refuse the 138k.

I agree they need to pick up the pace a bit. They could easily get two contestants per show and not miss anything.

14. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    So how does this show work?