Deadliest Warrior (Spike TV)

Discussion in 'History' started by PhillyQuakesFan, Apr 13, 2009.

1. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I absolutely agree. I'm honestly thinking of just skipping the modern warrior ones from now on.

2. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Sun Tsu was completely ripped off. Terrible analysis, IMO. No way, Sun ever gets caught with his pants down against Vlad.

3. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Agreed.

Is it me, or are there alot of repeats being played? Which nights are the newest season? (perhaps I am just catching the wrong nights.)

4. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The season finale is on Tuesday.

5. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    How exactly did Sun Tsu get caught with his pants down?

6. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    He was sitting in an unfortified camp having tea when Vlad copped a march on him. Not in a million years, even if Sun didnt know there was a war on.

7. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    IF one takes the re-enactment of the results, then one misses the whole point of the show to begin with.

8. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Which is, of course, hitting dead pigs with claymores.

9. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    Maybe he was distracted, because he was thinking about writing a book.

10. FormerGermanGuy

Mar 1, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nonsense. What would some old Chinese guy know that would ever be worth putting into a book?

11. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Season finale in 3! 2! 1!...

US Seals vs Israeli Commandos. Its about time.

12. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Has anybody ever gone that psycho as the SEAL with the knife?

13. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like some of the weapon testing but the rest of the show is just silly. It is interesting to see how particular weapons fare against various types of armor but it seems clear that they have no idea how to use even that part of the data in their sim. If you note the numbers killed by weapon it is often obvious that they don't match the results shown during the rest of the show. The addition of horses and chariots was pretty sketchy. Of course that is nit picking when the sim also can't deal with tactics, discipline, non-lethal blows, etc. It often boils down to which of the "experts" is actually skilled and fit enough to use the weapon properly. I saw that they've now made a game based on the show but I haven't tried it yet. Any review of it?

14. Yaroni

Yaroni Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Tel Aviv
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    great shout

i mean... vlad vs. sun tzu? (facepalm)

15. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The show was interesting when they had actual historical fighters/warriors/military members, whatever, face-off.
    I stopped watching it when they started putting on organized crime entities like the American Mafia, Yakuza etc, that's just grasing at straws imo.
    If you're pitting groups against each other then you're pitting fighting styles and techniques, what the hell fighting style does a mafia member have? lol
    You see my point?

16. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    That actually wouldn't even be close. Samurai, unless very highly ranked, were usually not mounted, while knights almost always were. The knight's advantage would be enormous.

17. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Wait, how the hell is that even remotely fair? Vlad lived nearly two thousand years after Sun Tzu. No matter how much better Sun Tzu was as a strategist, it's a huge handicap to try and overcome Renaissance weaponry and equipment with Iron Age counterparts.

18. Yaroni

Yaroni Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Tel Aviv
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    I think you misunderstood me, my point was that they're incomparable, the facepalm wasn't to say one was better than the other, but that the bout itself was stupid.

Although i disagree on you argument on renaissance weaponry vs that of the iron age.

The comparison is still foolish, but for discussion sake:

First, weaponry had little to do with it, Vlad was very much a militant that relied of fortitude (he was a master architect), and funnily enough Sun Tzu was an expert in taking down cities.

I could also provide the example of Genghis Khan who obliterated city after city far more advanced than his own culture.

Second, the weaponry Sun Tzu had was almost as advanced as Vlads, in fact the renaissance borrowed most of those very technologies from the eastern culture almost 1500 years later.

Edit: cowboy bebop!!!! remember when they used to make good shit, not everything sucks.

19. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Heh, it's been my avatar for nearly a decade now (yes, I've been on BigSoccer way too long) and I still get the occasional comment about it. Cowboy Bebop was, indeed, good stuff. Although I do rather like your avatar as well. :D

(Hell, I'm a New Yorker, how could I NOT love Jewish girls?)

And regarding the Vlad/Sun Tzu thing, yeah, I guess you're right. I agree that it's sort of a silly comparison, although I'm disappointed at Spike's portrayed outcome given that I'm a huge Chinese homer.

20. Yaroni

Yaroni Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Tel Aviv
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    meh, its spike tv, i think were both being a bit pretentious, who really expected a thoughtful analysis.

21. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Israel has some massively beautiful women. The come in all shades and varieties as well. Once I was waiting for a bus in Haifa. Every bus stop had a soldier assigned to it. The one at my bus stop was an unbelievable blond. I actually skipped a bus to try to talk to her. She had no sense of humor and shot me down like a Libyan MIG.

22. Yaroni

Yaroni Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Tel Aviv
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    you're lucky she didnt break your thumb, it happened to me

23. Tom_Heywood

Tom_Heywood New Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2009/aug/08/screen-burn-deadliest-warrior

Charlie Brooker's take on this show.

Personally, I thought it was like a bunch of men acting like 13 year olds, but with a slightly manic bloodlust when they're testing the weapons. Immature, often in bad taste but a complete laugh.

Who won between the SEAL and the Israeli? And was it staged on a Turkish boat?

24. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That show is a joke now, totally unwatchable, and to be honest some of the former teams (SEAL) and Army SF guys really didn't impress me all that much.
    Now the Spetznaz guys on the other hand.................................

25. Yaroni

Yaroni Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Tel Aviv
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    i love charlie brooker

Like all the other comaparissons on this moronic show, the comparison of any SF unit from the US, Russia, England Israel etc is retarded.

they are all special breeds and are all similarily exceptional, the only way we would know which is better is if through an actual fight, or ones that our respective governments havent told us about :D