Pre-match: De Rosario-DeLeon International Friendship Cup: DC United at Toronto

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by usadcu, Mar 18, 2022.

1. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a long season no one should throw in the towel yet. I thought we needed to win 3 of the first 4, that didn't happen but it's not a disaster.
    I do think this season we'll really get to see what Losada can do, because he's going to have to make it happen. All eyes on him now. I was told there would be more chances for goals created. Let's do that.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  2. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Positives? I have a hard time coming up with one.

3. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Losada needs to adjust to other teams trying to mark Gressel out of the game. He needs to use that against them by using Gressel as a decoy to pull defenses out of position. Then occupy that space with Najar and give him free rein.
    Get Gressel really wide and deep. Play the ball to him out there a couple of times so the defense knows they have to mark him. Then use that space underneath.

GumbyG repped this.
  4. Daniel le Rouge2

Apr 16, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Gressel is playing through a knock. Remember that he was subbed off at the half against Cincinnati. I’m less concerned about him and more concerned about his targets, who’ve been only sporadically effective. Except for Flores, who hasn’t been effective at all.

Teams can blanket Gressel, knowing that Smith is on the left, rather than Paredes. That’s an easy decision. Smith isn’t turning anyone on the dribble, he’s not beating anyone for pace and his crossing has left a great deal to be desired. Teams can leave him alone out there and double up on the other side. And because our forwards aren’t pressing effectively, there’s no one open to punish the defense.

Canouse and Djeffal are an improvement over what we’ve seen so far, but that’s a pretty low bar.

While it’s true Losada didn’t say “We need five starters,” it’s a largely accurate assessment.
    1. Hamid needs someone pushing him to stay sharp,
    2. We need a second pivot to take pressure off of Canouse,
    3. We need an upgrade on left wing,
    4. We need a replacement for Flores,
    5. We need a striker.
    Durkin, if we get him, fills #2, and we’re praying Taxi fills #5. That still leaves us three slots. And that assumes everyone else stays healthy.

anotherfan, dcu n bntwn, song219 and 2 others repped this.
  5. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Well, that was a better performance than the one against Chicago -- low bar I know. My takes:
    Djeffal has the job until he's injured. He can turn and dribble through pressure, he can change the point of attack and his defense is OK, but could improve.
    Canouse was fine for his first game. Nice run into space for the goal.
    Hamid - fine
    Birnbaum - fine
    BHI - fine
    Najar - he can get very lazy defending. I'm not sure that he is a long term answer as the 3rd CB. Teams are attacking him because they believe he is defensively suspect. Maybe Losada will just ride with that, or he will push Najar up the field. Which brings me to the next point.
    Smith -- mediocre on a good day. Lacks pace and is, at best, adequate defensively. Maybe he should sit and Najar should slide up to his spot. Less defensive responsibility and he is higher up the field. Najar can beat folks on the dribble, Smith can't.
    Gressel -- teams focus on him, he's carrying a knock. There are limitations to his game that get exposed when others are playing like shit. He's not the problem.
    Robertha -- can't get a read on him yet. Probably a rotation player and late sub, but his cross to Canouse was inch perfect.
    Kamara -- puts in the effort, sort of like a Zardes with a better touch and soccer IQ.
    Flores -- can someone steal his visa when he's in Peru? Just a waste of space. Watching him get knocked off the ball, like an 8 year old playing with teenagers by Pozuelo, of all people, took the cake. Really, just play Yow or TKdP instead. They at least have some energy and are willing to try things. The worst of Kasper's many poor international signings over the years.
    Taxi -- DCU's fanbase turns its desperate eyes to you.

6. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Welp, the return of Dave Johnson hasn’t fixed the amateur hour pregame. Sound mix is a joke!

Winoman repped this.
  7. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    OMG! ITs the PA at Audi Field bleeding into the DCU broadcast. Tell me it doesn’t go one the whole game. Couldn’t they have broadcast from Bethesda?

Winoman repped this.
  8. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    DC United scored. Isn’t that a DC United tie?

9. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Djeffal was the only player in the final 3rd who has any vision or thought to where a pass should go.

Losing Arriola and Paredes has destroyed this team. It has impacted our play going forward, and has killed our width in possession. Perhaps Taxi can help, but it will surely not happen overnight.

GumbyG, PSURoss and Winoman repped this.
  10. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    I really doubt a second rate player from a second rate league is going to matter, but I mean why not.

GlennAA11 repped this.
  11. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Surprised that Pozuelo goal wasn't an OG.

Thx,

Jay!

12. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    But Brad Smith was an upgrade, LOL

The only position upgraded was backup striker. When the other striker shows up, we’ll have two backup strikers better than last season.

Thx,

Jay!

13. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unloading Arriola is looking better and better, amirite?

Sigh.

14. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also think losing Arriola has had a huge impact on the locker room. He was a leader on this team, and there is nobody to fill his shoes in that regard.

15. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    The problem isn’t losing Arriola or Paredes, it’s that we did nothing to make the team better after they left. Par for the course really. We got loser Estrada and likely ******** man Taxi.

The reality is that we didn’t lose those guys though, they escaped and they got a bag for their trouble. They wanted to leave.

16. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    You just can't sell your most dynamic players and not replace them, and still expect to hold your head above water
    Home team scorer making the decisions. I hope OG isn't going to make a run at the scoring title for us this year.
    I feel like you could have used this assessment each of the prior games.

DCU and Alejandro 10 repped this.
  17. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think by appearances, this is spot on. I think we fix a lot of this is if we go back to swarming pressure more often. That's not going to work against every team and it might not have worked against Toronto, but I'd rather lose 5-4 than 2-1. We've suddenly become very concerned about letting in goals, as evidenced by the positions we take up on the field. We are constituted for a more aggressive style. We have Bill "freaking" Hamid. Let 'em shoot.

It hasn't been noted in this thread, but Toronto has some high-end talent, and Bob "substitution" Bradley is now their coach. I knew we were screwed when I saw him talking to Posuelo on the sideline in the middle of the first half. They will be a better team this year.

And, in part, it's that we aren't hitting on all cylinders yet. We're still trying to establish our central mid and forward starting group. But I can tell you this much - as long as our wingbacks are spending more time in our half than the opponent's, we will continue to struggle and drop points. I hope Losada isn't regressing to the MLS mean.

DCU, griffin1108 and Winoman repped this.
  18. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    This, a perfect one sentence description of DCU's season so far.

MattR, sitruc, fatbastard and 3 others repped this.