Pre-match: DCU vs teh Kittehs.

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Jul 31, 2022.

1. DCU

DCU Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Bay Area, CA
    Kimarni Smith, that was one badass cross. Put that one in the memory bank.

what a goal.

superdave, sitruc, smakawhat and 3 others repped this.
  2. Daniel le Rouge2

Apr 16, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    By-the-by, WTF with the Gallese head slap on Hopkins in the closing minutes going unpunished? Shoulda been straight red for violent conduct. If the Disciplinary Committee had the balls of a eunuch (Hah! As if.), he’d get a two-game suspension out of that.

John L and Winoman repped this.
  3. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I thought in real time but IIRC there was a reply that showed he shoved him on the shoulder not the head?

Could be wrong about that.

superdave repped this.
  4. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I presume it was Rooney's idea, but those short passing sequences involving Romo, Hines-Ike and Birnbaum just about stopped my heart. Yes, it drew attackers into our end, but we came awfully close to giving up the ball in terrible places. Romo is no Nick Rimando. Maybe this new guy Ochoa is better with the ball at his feet. Let's hope so.

5. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    there is more to this F1 analogy then at first blush. In that race Ferrari snatched defeat from the jaws of victory - gave away two podium places much as DC has regularly given up late goals over the past 3 seasons. So we did nothing but shrug our shoulders and say, "yeah yeah, wait for it - there is still time left....."

But to everyone's surprise, somehow Wazzah magic came up with another last minute goal against Orlando. Stoopid. But I just might be a believer again.

Alejandro 10 and ImNumberTen repped this.
  6. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    The difference is that Ferrari Ferraried it up as usual. Red Bull changed strategy on the fly and always looked a step ahead. Sure, Rooney told the boys at the half to play quicker, but that first half should have ended 3-0 Orlando. Would have been like Verstappen did his 360 on the 5th lap or so, that would have knackered his race. As the late great Bill Russel used to say, "I'd rather be good than lucky, but I'll take lucky." Red Bull were good, DCU was ********ing lucky.

Alejandro 10 repped this.
  7. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    My biggest hope after this one: DC plays like they did in the second half more than like they did in the first, but Rooney doesn't allow the FO to say "good enough" if the team picks up the points needed to contend for the last playoff spots. We get a full off-season with Rooney contributing to the scouting/acquisition process, and next year we end up with a team that looks like it belongs in the league's playoffs.

bigredfutbol, TowsonDad and Alejandro 10 repped this.