DCU - New nickname [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by LN - Dougg, Jul 23, 2005.

1. LN - Dougg

LN - Dougg Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Dale City, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    -NE Revs, had not lost all year.. who finally beat them? The Black and Red Machine.....

-SJ EQs... had not lost a game in the last seven.. who finally beat them? Your 4 time MLS Champions....

-LA Gax... had not lost at home since some time last year.... who finally beat them? DC MUTHA F'N UNITED!!!

Just when these teams start getting all f'n happy about their season... Just when they think this year might be "their year" Just when the whole MLS is starting to ride them to the MLS Cup, here comes DC United to remind them who their daddy is.. who the league belongs to... Who, without a shadow of a doubt will become a Penta-Campeon once this season is over.

Bow down to DCU, bitches! You got not choice! :D

2. Doctor Woo

Doctor Woo Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Newport, OR
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That occurred to me too. It shows you one of two things: either DCU can bring up their game to very high levels when called on, or there is so much parity in the league that truly anyone can beat anyone else at any time.

3. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    They took four points of a possible six on this road trip and are in third place.
    Just hope they can keep this momentum going after the all star break.

Nice results around the league overall :)

4. gnat

gnat New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Only time will tell with SanBlow and the Gals, but in NE's case they haven't been so hot since we beat them. I mean honestly, who loses to the Goats (before the rest of the Papa Goats get here anyway)? :eek:

I think it is a combination of parity and the team stepping up that makes this all happen. We all know we can play some absolute ********** games, but we also know that when they want to and put both their hearts and heads into it we can play some damn good football too.

Hopefully, like this time last year, these last three are a sign of things to come for the rest of the season.

-dave

5. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    We certianly seem to enjoy wearing the black hat in this league.

6. lkeniston

lkeniston Member

Mar 20, 2003
    Richmond, Va.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Resistance is futile"

7. Darth Norteño

Darth Norteño With Buddha In My Fists

The Arsenal
    Wales
    Dec 9, 2003
    laceyforest.arl.va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    DC United...you can't stop us, you can only hope to contain us.

8. Bwana

Bwana New Member

Oct 27, 2004
    Darnestown, MD
    Fixed your post. :p

9. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd rather DC United not be associated with an infectious disease.

10. LN - Dougg

LN - Dougg Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Dale City, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    MOD fixed (that's what they call it) my title.. but the nickname I had put in the subject line was "Streak Enders"

This thread might make a little more sense now..

f'n mods... all you had to do was put the [R] but nooooo..

11. Darth Norteño

Darth Norteño With Buddha In My Fists

The Arsenal
    Wales
    Dec 9, 2003
    laceyforest.arl.va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    I'd say that's better associated with Galaxhite or the Scum...they flare up every now and again, but can be easily repressed.

12. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just hope FC Meatlovers has some sort of streak going when we beat them in Frisco in November :D

13. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    That wasn't the case. "Streak Enders" was the spoiler. That alone gave away the weekend's results. Adding an [R] without deleting "Streak Enders" wouldn't have eliminated the spoiler. However, for some reason I thought you'd put your streak enders suggestion in the main post too. Apparently you didn't. I probably should have copied that over to the post when I edited the thread title. It was an oversight.

14. Hunter R

Hunter R New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Me, Myself and I
    Club:
    DC United
    I know this is a long shot but I like "The End to End Boys"

That kinda symbolizes our play this year... Gros, Wilson, Prideaux

Also refers to what you were talking about Dougg... sorta lol

15. NYAustinite

NYAustinite Member

May 9, 2005
    LIC
    Judging by the wacky world of sports that happened this weekend, I'm thinking parity might be the answer. Chivas beat the Revs without their reinforcements, is that right?

16. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I disagree. There isn't a lot of parity. Colorado, RSL, Columbus and especially Chivas have been dreck for most of the year. Nor is it a case of us "raising our game." I don't think we were especially impressive against LA. We hung tough and got some magic at the end.

My take on DCU this year is that we've been incredibly consistent. Forget the results and just look at how we've played on the field.

--our defense had some growing pains. We've had some sloppy matches (win and loss to Chicago, 4-3 loss to NE at RFK) were we just didn't mark AND we were slow to play the ball out of the back. But the defense has grown. We're not the best in the MLS. But it's a good defense.
    --we're one of the better possession teams in MLS. No, I don't mean possession in terms of backpassing and the defenders kicking the ball around. I mean in terms of both attacking yet not playing kick-ball.
    --we pressure other teams. Even when we're defensive, we get in their faces and don't give them space. We look to create turnovers.
    --we can generally be counted on to show at least a few clever attacking moves every game.
    --we work harder than any other team in MLS.
    --unlike even NE, Chicago, LA, SJ and Dallas can claim, we've had only one game this season where we just had our butts thoroughly kicked, we lost and deserved to lose and looked really bad in losing. Every team in the league has had a couple of games where they just stunk. We've only had one--against Dallas at RFK. Which means we've been arguably the most consistent team in the league this year.

We work hard, we bring it every game. We often times fail to finish. Sometimes our game plan isn't translated to play on the field and we look confused in the attacking third. Sometimes our young defenders don't mark and get disorganized. Don't get me wrong, I"m not saying we're the best or most talented team in MLS. But contrary to our record, we're the most consistent. And combined with a clever coach and a high work ethic, that means we give EVERYONE a match. And if you don't show up to play OR get really lucky (ie: Zach Wells stands on his head, Clint Dempsey is on fire) and have a player who is hot, we'll beat you.

If DCU wins the MLS Cup again, we're going to hear another off-season by non-DCU fans (and probably a few of our own fans) talking about how we "got hot" at the right time. Ridiculous repetition of rubbish and wrong-headed reasoning. DCU has been very inconsistent in terms of results. But I'd argue that over the past 1.5 years, if you judge the teams by the play on the field, we've been the most consistent team (at good play--Columbus has been consistently outpossessed with Colorado close behind) with KC close to us. Every game we're there. Every game we bring it. Every game we work hard.

It does a real disserve to the work ethic of this team to argue that they play well against good teams but don't try or care or work as hard against lesser teams or in lesser games.