DCU Golf Tournament Results

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Bill-DC, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    Post 'em here. I'd love to know if anyone on BS played. I couldn't make this year's event but last year's was a lot of fun. Red and Black, did you tee it up again this year? I know the SE's organized a foursome and played with Mike Petke.

2. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    Bump-anyone?

3. mikedett

mikedett New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Springfield, Va. USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Mark (ringer) Simpson's team won the event. A good time had by all....saw 4 of us there from big soccer.

4. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    He would have won last year if he didn't play with a bunch of hacks :)

Good deal, nice weather. Wish I could have made it out this year.

Bill

5. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    i played again and was with hristo and my group. we didn't do as well as last year--we did end up in the middle.

it was a good event. traffic was a nightmare that morning and it took me 2.5 hours to get there and this affected several folks so we got a bit of a late start.

the lunch was a massive improvement. it was pretty much as much filet mignon and chicken as one could eat. outback steakhouse catered the event and i tried to eat my weight :)

the course was nice, although i liked last years better, we were closer to other groups and were able to chat a bit last year.

it is nice to see how close the team is this year. they obviously all seem to get along very well. you could also tell they were tired. there is really a nice team vibe there.

i saw mike dett which was great.

had a chance to chat with ray, he said he is feeling much better from thursday. talked a bit with earnie, he is really excited about the "strech run".

by chance one of the holes is close to one of our company's largest competitor's headquarters. my normal trusty slice failed me and instead of heading out of the course far to the right (and thereby breaking their window) i actually hit a decent drive straight down the damn fairway.

6. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    My family and I played with the one and only John Harkes. He was a great guy to play with - he was joking with us the whole time.

We finished in fourth one stroke off third and if our second shots would have been better we would have finished in second.

A great outing again put on by Catherine and the DCU staff.

We were driving around after we finished and were lost on the course. Came across Etch and Chino and their group (who finished in last BTW) - Chino was playing and had one hand on the end of the club and one on the middle of the shaft and hitting it like a slapshot (a la Happy Gilmour). Funniest damn thing and Harkes was harassing him.

7. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina

Did you ask Harkes if it freaks him out when Sean Wheelock starts fawning over him?

8. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Simpson's Team 61
    Onalfo team and Namoff's team were second and theird with a 63 and a 64 but I forget which order.
    JH6 and JH 65
    Go, Mrs Go, Geoff Aunger and team 66

Food was great. Lots of good door prizes. That course is a bit long to play for many people. Many of the par 4 holes are over 400 yards from the middle set of tees. Catherine and her staff did a great job. All the players except Ben and Nick were there for lunch but I am not sure if Galin was there.

Also heard a rumor about two stadium sites in the district but not in an RFK lot. No more specifics than that. We'll have to see what happens there.

9. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    galin was supposed to ride with hristo and be part of our group (at least he was listed on the cart with hristo) and i asked hristo and he said galin had on of his last english classes that morning so he bailed on the golf.

10. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    Thanks for the excellent reports. Props to Catherine and staff for a cool outing. I had fun playing in Mark Simpson's group last year, but I'll bet playing golf with John Harkes must have been a blast. The SE's were teamed with Mike Petke, so I'll e-mail Matt for the scoop on his round.

11. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    btw--the "moment" of the tournament for me was when we were buried in a bunker (which were more like clay than sand) and hristo blasted a shot into the lip of the trap and then it bounced back in. he got so damn mad, kicked his ball about 30 meters, kicked all the sand and swore his ass of in spanish. i fell on the ground laughing. the folks in my group were not really soccer fans so they didn't know hristo's temper.

12. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    Funny story about Hristo and the trap. Good thing I missed him. He probably would have taken a driver to me if he found out I was a Real Madrid fan :)