Pre-match: DCU @ Chicago Fire 7/20/13

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by NattyBo, Jul 18, 2013.

1. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't even know what there is left to talk about with this team before games, but, uh, have at it...

2. La Barra Blonde

Oct 21, 2007
    Section 135
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pajoy offside contest?
    Will Ruiz play after scoring against the Papa Goats?
    How many goals will Magee score (per half)?

Just a few topics to start.

James

4. West Coast Futbol

May 7, 2008
    The Beach
    Some details:

Round: Match 20
    Who: DC v Fired; not!
    Where: Chicago
    When: Saturday July 20 @ 8:30pm EDT
    Broadcast: CSN

At the current run rate, we only need 2.95 points per match the rest of the way to take the current final position in the playoffs. Is this the match?

While I had hoped to hear of changes in the two weeks between MLS matches, all we got were changes at the youth level and the transfer of part of the expensive part of the payroll. I would say the FO has decided to go the youth route but then there was Najar. This is just a mess! The FO silence is deafening.

NattyBo repped this.
  5. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, not that I'm all polly anna excited about the team now, and I'm sure my mindset is not the new marketing plan, but with all the potential youth that could hit the field now, I've never (this year) been more anxious to watch the team play.

That's my coach-side talking of course, and I know that doesn't "do it" for everyone.

But I'm really hoping we get to see a lot of these guys the rest of the way.

West Coast Futbol repped this.
  6. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Well I usually go to watch DC in Chicago (and KC) since its driving distance ... But I dunno I might have to sit this one out.

Can't justify using two tanks of gas and driving overnight to get back to work on Sunday to watch this crapfest.

7. West Coast Futbol

May 7, 2008
    The Beach
    I am flying in from LA for the 9/15 match ...

8. West Coast Futbol

May 7, 2008
    The Beach
    I watched the 1979 Oakland A's (look up futility and see their picture). the A's usually were in the game and you could talent all over the place; just no cohesion. The very next year, Billy Martin made a run with the same group at a division title, it was amazing. This is MLS where a turn-around (both good and bad) happen every year. This is as good of time as any to start.

Barbieri repped this.
  9. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Sweet jesus. First beer in RFK on me, man.

tallguy and West Coast Futbol repped this.
  10. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll buy him a beer at the tailgate :D

tallguy and NattyBo repped this.
  11. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Just don't buy him a Natty Bo. We want him to come back

12. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    The importance of this game is not winning, but to prepare for the USOC match in early August.

Chicago generally plays their 1st team in USOC. Now, in this match, because Sean Johnson is with the USMNT, DCU will face the 2nd string GK, Italian GK that doesn't move appreciably well (lacks athletic ability), but has been trained to cover much of the goal.

sorry - dinner time

13. West Coast Futbol

May 7, 2008
    The Beach
    Wow! Well I will be there! I am bringing my wife and adult daughter. I little background, my wife loves the opponent that night. She also thinks Beckham will be playing; shhhh. Oh and the last time I got thrown out of a match was because SHE was bad mouthing the ref.

I will drink to that!

Barbieri, Murr and Winoman repped this.
  14. West Coast Futbol

May 7, 2008
    The Beach
    Hey, not to get ahead of myself (but it is my birthday today), I can just buy a ticket and then join the supports group inside, right?

Similar to how this board dislikes the red cows, I dislike the Gals. Traveling to yell at the Gals is ALWAYS good fun.

Q*bert Jones III and Winoman repped this.
  15. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you Mike Mejido in disguise? :)

16. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Gonna sit in van with 7 people for 24 hours to get there and back and I can already see it's gonna be abortion of a game :)

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  17. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    I abhor having to hear foul-mouthed people. :oops:

bigredfutbol and revelation repped this.
  18. SuziQue

SuziQue Member

Jun 2, 2004
    NW Burbs - Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you get here early enough you could catch the first half of the Washington Spirit - Chicago Red Stars game at Benedictine University (about 20 minutes from Toyota Park). At least the parking there is free. That game starts at 6PM CST.

19. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I think we'll go check out sears tower or something instead :D

Boloni86 repped this.
  20. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    You know if you swear a lot and really loud, you hardly notice them.

shawn12011 and Winoman repped this.
  21. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    Thorir? is supposed to be closing in on the purchase of Inter; foughly 75% at $300M or maybe it's in euros, pounds or whatever Indonesia's currency is. We didn't pay top dollar for a DP so we will have to wait until other moves are made so we can claim so decent scraps off the market. It would be nice to see some offensive weapons added

22. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    So this is our open cup preview.

I would say something nice about the team, but then Ben will start Pajoy this weekend because of it.

Friday morning lineup guess:

------------------------Slick Willie

Klobber'n Korb---White Lightn'-- Wooly---?Why Riley?

DeLeino--Kitchen Sink--- Supa Silva-- Porter Ale

----------------MaPlesario----Punishin'Ponti

I would comment on the bench, but I haven't found a training report since the one DCU provided on Tuesday.

Boloni86 repped this.
  23. Barbieri

Barbieri Member+

Jul 8, 2004
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm actually ready to "enjoy" the season now.

I came in to this season saying, "we'll be very competitive". When the wheels feel off that, and sifting through the tea leaves here, I have come to think that last season was an aberration from new FO standpoint.

I think the goal is Ajax, with the our academy becoming recognized as a place to procure future US talent. Concurrent, I have no qualm with having the backbone of any US team being built here, Barcelona is fine for me.

Is this moneyball, sure. Is this glass half-full, sure. Is this because is a "Major League" thing, possibly. But I can be patient with a long term strategy, because its us. But I need see that. And tentatively, I am. YMMV

24. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Long term strategy requires more than just collecting a bunch of young players and putting them on the field.

When dealing with young players especially you need a strong tactical teacher. You need a technical development program where you can see players improve from one year to the next.

Are our young players really improving? I don't see much more from Kitchen compared to last year. I didn't see that much more from Najar last year compared to 2010. I'm not sure Ethan White is that much stronger compared to 2011.

I guess I could see some slight gains. But most of that seems just the natural comfort level and confidence of a player getting older. I'm not sure if I'm seeing technical or tactical maturation.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  25. West Coast Futbol

May 7, 2008
    The Beach
    Joe - Not sure why you referenced my post but I said "bad mouthing" not foul mouthing. She is actually quite clever and had the sidelines in stiches. As the region's head ref, the center looked to me to shut the "woman" up. When I told the center that I had no idea how to, he then threw me out! It was actually very funny. Sometimes in life you just have to grin and bear it.

I do agree profane people that pronounce their ignorance in loud volumes are annoying.