DCU 2005 Player Salaries

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by cherno, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Grasscutter

Grasscutter Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Atlantis
    Club:
    DC United
    Can you post a link to that Wohl article--thanks.

Also, I'm guessing Wohl is calculating "payroll" but not cap. We lose most of Fred's payroll #, but Metros are likely applying all of their Big 5 to cap.

2. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/grant_wahl/07/13/salaries.rankings/index.html

Yes - Wahl is just summing salaries to show who is getting the most preferential treatment. In order to get cap figures you would need to max at $280k and eliminate developmental and Adidas players.

3. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That min wage should be adjusted with a local bonus. 28k in DC is a lot different than 28k in KC.

What is the situation for development players? Some of the wages quoted are just too low for anything like a full time job.

4. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those wondering about the guys on the lower end of the pay scale, here's a little glimpse from Kuykendall:

http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20050713&content_id=36451&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp

Of course, he's probably living at his folks house, with some friends from school, or K's got some SE money set aside to keep AU Alums from being homeless. ;)

5. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Kuykendall is from Vienna, no? My guess is he's at his house for now with mom and dad.

6. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I can't say for sure if you're going crazy or not, but I'm definitely experiencing "Salary thread" Deja Vu...

One thing people need to remember about Freddy's salary - it's really not a salary. It's a big part of the MLS marketing budget. Of course, that's my opinion - I really have no idea how this whole byzantine MLSalary program works - but being in the government, I can certainly agree with "Pay for performance!"

Oh yeah, these guys also get perdiem when they travel, so the guys at the bottom end are certainly getting little bit more - and I'm pretty sure most of them get fed by the team - nutritional requirements and all that. Didn't I read somewhere that at an after party they said the team would show up after they got done eating? At least they're not eating beans out of a can. Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;)

7. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Some kind of locality differential like the government does might work. I think what would work best is if the teams are allowed to pay for some fringes like housing for some players. It wouldn't be that much money for the teams and would help the players out. If a team were to lease out or buy a few condos and just move players in and out of them as they come or leave the team.

8. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    We will never know exactly what the annual compensation for any of the players really is. The lower paid players may get money from suppliers (adidas, etc.), they coach on the side and may get other perks. Given that MLS is the "top", if those salaries really were close to actual annual compensation, then the A-League and lower divisions must be paying to play.

Nevertheless, these salary figures clearly demonstrate that soccer in America is a "niche" minor league sport. As much as all of us love the game, we are a very small minority.

9. Frog Boy

Frog Boy Member

Jul 14, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Minor correction: The number next to Stokes' name is the amount that he pays DC to be on the team.

10. LN - Dougg

LN - Dougg Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Dale City, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Booo!

Stokes hata!!

:D

11. wolverine_95

wolverine_95 New Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Downtown
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So who's making the "900 Kay for running away" banner the next time LA comes to town?

12. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But Matt, doesn't that also involve taking out the trash and washing her car? :p

13. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone asked this question of Peter Wilt of the Chitcago Fire, here was his answer:

14. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    It is sad that that we have MLS players who are eligible for food stamps and free cheese, but if that's what it takes to keep our league from going bankrupt, so be it.