DC - VW sponsor & now, what about the Revs?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by dl, May 6, 2008.

1. dl

dl New Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Cambridge, MA
    Any word on whether the Revs are even working on a shirt sponsor? Seems unlike the Krafts to ignore a potential revenue stream.

2. The Perfesser

The Perfesser New Member

May 23, 1999
    AthensGA/NewburyptMA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A year ago, someone from the front office said that they were "waiting for the right opportunity and didn't want to rush into anything."

I believe the second part of that goal has been completely fulfilled:(

3. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ya, this seems like a no brainer. Up and coming youth academy, possible DP on the horzion, what better way to help pay for this stuff? Its mind boggling....no wait, its Revsboggling

4. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    The Revs were waiting until after DC announced to give us news on this. You can start holding your breath, I'll time you.:)

5. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

6. jass

jass Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Club:
    Parana Curitiba
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I dont get why you want an ad on the shirt. I like the jersey clean. And its not like the revs need the money, they're not exactly big spenders.

7. moonrise

moonrise Member

May 7, 2003
    Concord, MA
    Maybe potential sponsors aren't all that interested in the Revs... Given the limited amount of marketing and merchandise, it's pretty hard to see a jersey except at a game.

8. wolfp10

wolfp10 Member

Sep 25, 2005
  9. RedRevs

RedRevs Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Cambridge
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kraft also has plenty of money to spend, its not like we're waiting on a sponsor in order to have any money.

If there is no need for a sponsor then we shouldn't get one. Barcelona used to never have a shirt sponsor until the current Unicef jersey but that is a charity.

Not all foreign soccer traditions are good ones.

10. jass

jass Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Club:
    Parana Curitiba
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Especially after seeing the new DC United one, yuck.

Revs fans should be proud that we're one of the teams WITHOUT a massive ad on the jersey ruining the design.

11. wolfp10

wolfp10 Member

Sep 25, 2005
    Instead, we have a wordmark written in vintage 1990s font.

12. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is their jersey clean? Got "Revolution" sprawled across the front. I'd be OK with a clean (blank) jersey. DCU used to do it, and it looked great. But, NER needs a sponsor, and frankly, this is a sport where they look nice on a uniform.

13. cbuscat

cbuscat New Member

Nov 17, 2005
    Beijing
    Does Chevy still have this slogan? You guys could get the best of both worlds :D

[​IMG]

14. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    I asked Craig at Meet the Coach and he said that no one's biting on what they're asking for, but said that it's in the same range as other MLS sponsors. Whether or not that was some PR or legit, I can't say, but he seemed frustrated that no one is coming, so who knows.

My personal feelings are that we'll be getting one this season, and I'm holding off on getting the new jersey until we get a sponsor.

15. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not understand why people are so determined to have a sponsor on the shirts. Kraft is a wealthy man and does not need the extra few hundred thousand a year.
    I cant imagine many sponsor logos that would look any better on our jerseys than current design. People seem to think that the Revs can just call Sam Adams tomorrow and sign a contract and put there logo on our shirts. It's not that simple. Maybe, just maybe, they have big plans for the future and don't want to get tied into a lower contract now when they could get more money next year when they have a stadium deal and DP. Unlikely I know, but there in charge.

I find amusing when I see people state on these boards that they "will not buy any Revs jersey until there is a sponsor logo on it". I wanna slap them across the face and put them on a raft towards england.

16. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly what I was going to say. What's the rush, people?

17. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    I don't think anyone believes it's as easy as going to a company and getting the sponsor, but I think what people are arguing (and this is the case with the stadium and youth academy as well) is that more than half the league is beating us to the punch on all these.

The money isn't just to be used on players. Even if we don't spend it, we're making a profit. However, I hope that the money gained from a sponsor would be going towards scouting trips, luring bigger clubs (like the Celtic friendly), establishing links with other clubs (LA-Chelsea), advertising/marketing, player development (youth academies basically), etc.

18. Agrippa93

Agrippa93 Member

May 27, 2007
    CT
    They can take their sweet time. I can't stand jersey sponsors. I think they're tacky and cheapens the sport. I get that they pay the bills, but what is wrong with having the team name on the front? I wear a Revs jersey to support the team, not be a walking billboard. Chicago Best Buys? DC Volkswagens? New England Taco Bell? No thanks.

19. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    Taco Bell...hmmmm...that would be good! Both are cheap and both involve shit (whether it be the on-field product or the other kind).:D

20. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Taco Hell based in NE? I know Dunkin Donuts is.

21. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    Kentucky. My aunt used to work for Tricon, they owned KFC, Taco Bell....Chick-Fil-A I want to say, can't remember. I remember I used to get the promotional crap before it would hit the restaurants, I had so many ****ing Taco Bell dogs:p

[EDIT] I'm wrong. Taco Bell are in California, but their owner, Yum Brands (formerly Tricon) are based in Kentucky.

22. The Perfesser

The Perfesser New Member

May 23, 1999
    AthensGA/NewburyptMA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People, a shirt sponsor does several things:

• It's a revenue stream that brings in money you don't have now. This has been SOP in soccer for decades. If Kraft is a smart businessman, he should be maximizing his revenue. If he's not, then .....?
    • With about 2/3 of MLS teams having shirt sponsors, it suggests that sponsors want to be associated with our teams. If a the Revs don't have a sponsor, by comparison, it suggests that nobody wants their logo on our shirts, or alternatively, nobody wants one on our shirts at the price that Kraft wants. Now, since I believe we are in a market economy, the value of the shirt sponsorship is lower than Kraft thinks it's worth.
    • Much as some of you don't like it, a shirt sponsorship is a soccer tradition all over the world, not just in Europe. Basically it says we "get it" as a soccer club.

23. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Barcelona didn't "get it" until 2006? :rolleyes:

24. The Perfesser

The Perfesser New Member

May 23, 1999
    AthensGA/NewburyptMA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's because FC Barcelona has a membership base of somewhere near 100,000 and -- unlike almost any other team -- they didn't think they needed the money.

What they did do was to put Unicef on their jersey for free as an act of global citizenship.

Last time I looked, the Revs didn't have 100,000 members (I believe we have considerably fewer than 10,000 season ticket holders). And I think it's highly unlikely that Kraft will put Unicef on the team's jersey for free anytime soon. :rolleyes:

25. IRguy

IRguy Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Tradition? I would not use that word it's more like a standard practice around the world. Form what i understand "kit" sponsors where not greeted warmly when they first appeared but fans got use to them after awhile and accepted it. There are also draw backs to having Shirt sponsor such as branding and it's a total rip off for fans who pay top dollar to be walking bill boards.

We "get it" huh i think we need more then just a shirt Sponsor for that I'm thinking a corruption scandal and a in game riot for we can really say we get it;)