DC United youth team on Fox Sports World today!!

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Cweedchop, Sep 1, 2002.

1. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Highlights from the 5 championship Super Y League matches will be on FSW today at 6pm Eastern..

DC United is in the U-17 championship match..

I don't know how much of this match will be shown but look for our youth team to kick some butt today..

2. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Dangit! Comcast needs to get that Fox Sports World channel pronto! All this cool stuff I cannot watch.

Hey Cweedchop, would you mind giving us an in-depth scouting report on these guys if/when you get to see very much of it?

Thanks in advance,

-Tron

3. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    DC United lost 2-1 to CASL United of Raliegh, NC..

They only showed edited highlights of the match and it looked as if DC had most of the play and CASL sat back and countered for most of the match..

CASL went ahead 2-0 and basically sat back and absorbed the DC pressure..

DC scored in the 93rd minute to make it respectable..

A couple of players for United stood out.. #10 Hassen (the goal scorer) looked a pretty decent player.. #5 in defense also looked pretty good.. #23 - a big goofy white guy up front looked completely out of his depth with the smaller guys buzzing around him constantly..

That's about it I'm afraid....

4. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Oh well, thanks for the scouting report Cweedchop. Aren't the U-17's the ones that went to England and did so well? I wonder what the EPL teams thought about the American team that beat them couldn't even win it's US leage. Heh.

-Tron

5. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that's the problem with us big goofy white guys...can't jump either :D

6. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    It was weird seeing DC United #23 being worn by a big, goofy white guy playing forward...

Dave

7. Bird

Bird Member

Sep 16, 2000
    San Mateo, California
    Caught the game and would agree that the junior Black-and-Red controlled the run of play. The two CASL goals were both well deserved, however.

The guys who stood out for me were Houssem El Amri (lanky #10, appeared to have good vision, distribution, work rate and finishing skills, but faded in and out of the game) and two of the defenders. One was Jacob Martenson and the other one was the guy with dreadlocks (possibly William Sanford?). Both showed good athleticism and tackled pretty well, although one or the other was probably to blame for not closing down the striker on the first CASL goal (a diving header from just outside the goal box). There was also another midfielder (possibly Phillip Ferraiuolo?) who was all over the field and had several good touches. I agree with Cweed, the really big white guy, #23, looked really out of place late in the game. IIRC (and haven't confused the goals from the different games), #5 got the assist on the DCU goal by making a good run to the end line and crossing the ball back into the goal box for Houssem to clean up.

Alas, the FSW announcers (Feldman and Bruce Murray, ex-Nat) were messing up the names quite regularly, so it was a little hard to figure out who was who. BTW, easily the best part of the broadcast was when they cut to the bench during the U-14 or U-15 match and focused in on a white kid (IIRC, from the Cleveland Crunch) with a huge conched-out hairdo. Feldman immediately started laying into Murray about some of the mullets from his past.

For more information about the U-17s, check out the following:

Section of the Official Senior DCU Site
    DCU Junior Team Pages
    Super Y League Championship Site

8. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like the Raleigh boys did us proud.
    Red & Black or CASL, either way the good guys won.

9. Bird

Bird Member

Sep 16, 2000
    San Mateo, California
    O.K., just rewatched it again and I butchered the names pretty badly.

The two central defenders who played pretty well were Jacob Martenson and a guy named Kargoo, who sported the dreadlocks and is not listed on the DCU site.

The two midfielders who caught me eye were listed as Hassen (who I assume was Houssem El Amri per the DCU site) and Nathaniel Burkey.

The assist on the goal went to the right back, Bobby Moges.

The big white guy was William Sanford, who on second viewing played pretty well throughout the game, but looked completely blown by the end (temp on the field was between 95 and 100 degrees F according to the announcers).

10. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Albright played for the U17 team?? ;)

11. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kind of an annoying broadcast, with Bruce Murray saying "no question" every ten seconds. And who was the 14 year old they had doing the sideline interviews? I kept waiting for his voice to crack.

Still though, it was pretty cool that they put the games on the air.