DC United vs Toronto FC Post Game Thread (R)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Cweedchop, Aug 25, 2007.

1. jimsmith9999

jimsmith9999 Member

Mar 30, 2006
    You drowned out a section of mostly soccer mom types. You can't really get a sense of the noise that the supporters end makes from were you were sitting. Still, good show.

2. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

3. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Indeed. During the first half I was shooting at the TFC supporters end (away from the DC support) and it was thunderous.

It's a bit sad, in a way. There are so many fans so eager to cheer and let loose. I just wish their team would give them a bit more to cheer about. Still, it's an expansion club, and has to go through this pain.

4. Xerxes

Xerxes New Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Arlington VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

5. Blondie4DCU

Blondie4DCU New Member

Aug 25, 2005
    DC
    :eek:

Sweet Jesus.

6. moreno9

moreno9 Member+

Aug 24, 2002
    Henrico
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to hear all the positive stories coming from the traveling supporters. While I haven't been there for a match yet I have been to Toronto prior and was greeted as kindly as everyone spoke above. Great place and look forward to heading up next year. I've experienced the same acoustic issues at various stadiums around the country. Sat on the quiet side at RFK the first few seasons and could hear almost nothing from the bouncy side but could see the madness. Now I sit over there and can still see the game just fine :p Three points on the road is nothing but a good thing so kudos to the Boyz for pulling it off.

7. KGDG2005

KGDG2005 Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Arlington VA
    Actually, what I found interesting was that the crowd make up was NOT that chock full of soccer mom types - even in the relatively "quiet zones".

And "quiet" really is a relative term here. Compared to most venues the quiet sections would be considered raucous indeed.

The biggest shift from the first away match that we came to was that the number of "beautiful people" who were in evidence at the first match who clearly were there only to be seen at an "event" had been supplanted by those more interested in the match itself.

[​IMG]

An expansion club with such an abysmal record that still has fans who are clearly this enthusiastic is nothing but a positive for the league. It certainly bodes well for the future.

Some folks noted that there may have been empty seats at the ground here and there, but after the weather earlier in the day, the "Ex", etc. it was a very very good showing (something that NYRB fans, for instance would just dream about). I was still shocked by the scalpers blatantly hawking seats for $100 within 50ft. of the ticket windows :eek:

KGDG
    Come On United (States and DC)
    www.screaming-eagles.com
    This is no Mistake by the Lake

8. soccerkitty

soccerkitty New Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Northern Va
    Hmmmm... "soccer mom types" huh. Well, I wonder if I fit in that category. :p

9. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    How are you with orange slices?

10. soccerkitty

soccerkitty New Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Northern Va

Haha... that's one of the jobs we all have to do here and there. I took a large bag of green grapes last weekend & one of those little misting fans. :rolleyes:

11. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Next time make a batch of Bloody Marys or Mimosas. Bet you'd be the most popular soccer mom around!

(If questioned, you could extol the virtues of fresh juice...)

12. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very popular soccer mom around here if she could kick out a batch of fresh Carlos Mimosas. ;)

Well, Boz might not be too happy about it.

13. KGDG2005

KGDG2005 Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Arlington VA
    This is NOT to denigrate soccer moms in any way... I was just alluding to a prior post that attempted to explain how we might have been louder than surrounding sections because they were filled with soccer moms or something to that effect.

[​IMG]

The implication was that perhaps he desired more of these fans in attendance.

I would argue, of course, that what the league needs is a healthy mix of fans of all types (as long as they are passionate about their club) and that Toronto without question has those apparently in abundance.

If they are already discussing ways of expanding BMO to accomodate more fans - all the better!

KGDG
    Come On United (States and DC)
    www.screaming-eagles.com
    No negative comments directed at soccer moms here (attempting to avoid the sharp elbow from the better half) ;)

14. tatgirl

tatgirl New Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Toronto
    Matt & Stacey- are u out there....??? PM me. I got pics for you.

15. alexintoronto

alexintoronto New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Did you guys like the Giant Jersey the Northend Elite unveiled after the anthems?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. dadman

dadman Yo soy un papa

DC United
    United States
    Apr 13, 2001
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was rolled out back in May, too, and travelled halfway around the stands from the U-Sector. I like it, though I'd hate to be under it if a goal was scored (a' la RSL last night).

Looks like it's picked up a few beer stains in the intervening months. :)

17. alexintoronto

alexintoronto New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    You're thinking of the Toronto FC flag that was paid for and made by Toronto FC (or a sponsor?) and passed from the main Red Patch Boys section to the main U-Sector section then around the south and west stands of the stadium to the Northend Elite.

The pictures I posted are of a jersey we (a supporters group called The Northend Elite) made. We paid for all the materials, had it sewn together and attached everything on the jersey.

The 'beer stains' are actually from some wet weather we had earlier in the day. This wasn't passed around, it was held in that same section (the main section of the Northend Elite)

The Toronto FC flag:
    [​IMG]

18. soccerkitty

soccerkitty New Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Northern Va

I'm just messing with you anyway. I personally do not fit into any category. :D

19. soccerkitty

soccerkitty New Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Northern Va

Maybe to the DC games, but not to the kids games. Besides I think these people like me when their sober ; ). Imagine that... I know sounds a little crazy. Now at RFK they may need a few.

20. soccerkitty

soccerkitty New Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Northern Va

You lost me on that one... on both accounts. :confused: Let's start with what is a "Carlos Mimosa"?

21. moreno9

moreno9 Member+

Aug 24, 2002
    Henrico
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Carlos Llamosa beats Cobi Jones in MLS Cup 1999"

[​IMG]

:D

22. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Been there, done that. I loves me some soccer mamas! At least the ones who graze with the unwashed here on BS!! :D

GM

23. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a stretched play on words.

Such as, the difference between ya mosa, and my mosa... groan. :rolleyes:

24. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    You KNOW you should never explain bad puns, right?

If it means anything, I laughed out loud. I don't know what that says about me...

25. soccerkitty

soccerkitty New Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Northern Va
    Okay, now I'm laughing too. Thanks guys!!! :)