DC United vs LA[R]

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by houstondynamofan, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Kosh

Kosh "We are all Kosh"

Aug 1, 2006
    Harrisburg, PA
    No we won't. Look we had a bad night (LA's had like what...10 of them? this season) and we're in one hell of a slump. We'll wiggle out of it, rather it happen now than later. LA fans can talk all the crap they want now, heck they have every right to. But let's not kid ourselves, they have one hell of a battle to MAKE the playoffs and even if they sneak in it will be at the cost of a sizeable amout of energy. There is no title game in the cards for this LA team...and if there fans would dare admit it, there does not deserve to be. It was one bad night...laugh it up, enjoy it, we deserved what came our way, but let's no kid ourselves here, you guys have left it all a bit too late.

Plus it's all good right...you guys embarrass us in the regular season and we own you in the post season (ah fukc it that's all I have, man this sucks) I hate LA...I don'y know what pisses me off more, LA's win or Red Stool's...ah fukc it, lets just write it off as an off night, one stinging and painful off night.

2. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    We've played terrible, had a terrible coach a good chunk of the season, but under Yallop we've been one of the top teams in the leagues (RSL's 6 wins in a row surpassing us).

If we manage to get into the playoffs and manage another great run to get to the title game we deserve it just as much as any other team in MLS Cup ever, just as much as the Fire team that spanked you guys in 98, just as much as the Galaxy team last year, every team knows the rules, every team knows the ultimate goal is MLS Cup, and if you burn yourselves out winning a bunch of games early, then stumble in the playoffs, you have to live with it, end of story. The galaxy did it in losing to the above Fire team in 98, San Jose felt it last year, and who knows how many other teams will fall in the future.

Obviously DC has been far, far superior over the course of the season so far, but in the end it doesn't really matter, LA hasn't had a good team since 2002, but we've finally got a good coach with a proven track record, so even if we don't make the playoffs, we have a very bright future, and anything is better then looking forward to another season of brilliant Steve Sampson signings and backwards tactics.

3. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Oh the delusions of grandeur. :rolleyes:

Do you know why so few ppl cheered in ecstasy when SJ lost to LAG last season?

B/c despite plaguing the boards w/ their conspiracy theories, SJ fans were relatively mellow and not flamboyant in their delusions of grandeur.

Unlike DCU fans.

THAT's why ppl are smiling that you guys have to eat crow.

4. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For losing a game in the regular season, while leading the league? Without realizing it, you've made RFrancis' point.

5. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
  6. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    # of titles this millenium: 1

From 2000-2003, DCU sucked. Badly. They've won one title in the last 6 seasons.

Hardly an evil empire

7. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    :rolleyes:

It wasn't just a loss. DC got outclassed last night.

And it's the fact that so many DC fans have been so smug about their team this season that to see them get manhandled and smacked down, it's just kinda funny.

Again. It's not some "evil empire". It's not "jealousy" of a "dynasty in the making". It's not "jealousy" of a quality team.

It's the fact that DCU fans are smug as hell.

They're not the Yankees of MLS.

Their fans think they are. But they're not.

8. DSM1

DSM1 New Member

Apr 9, 2005
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    Still can't get over 'Cakes actually challenging the Barra Brava and Screaming Eagles. Unfortunately his bravery is two months too late and his quotes after the match are mostly hot air. I'm not buying the "new" 'Cakes until he plays like this at the Azteca or in a meaningful match in Europe.

9. Neutral Fan

Neutral Fan New Member

Dec 27, 2000
    Yes, he is a third rate player and his bio proves it. :rolleyes: http://www.ussoccerplayers.com/players/landon_donovan/

Aaron

10. United_Caps_Fan

United_Caps_Fan New Member

Apr 25, 2004
    Alexandria,VA 134/35
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Spot on good call! he sure did. Ill bet if it were any other team that has such a storied and decorated and celebrated history as United, thier fans would be hated just as much.

The yankess are by far, the single most loved, and most hated team, and fans in baseball. The same can be said about DC United. Per capita, nation wide, DC United probably has far and away the most fans sprinkled throughout, just as do the NYY.

THe more visible a team and its fans are, especially by virtue of winning championships, the more hated they will be by the masses of other teams fans. I just is a fact of life.

DC United is in a slump at the moment, and I dont think it could come at a better time. This will be a true wake up call for the stretch run. Congrats to LA on the win, however we all should remember that LA faced a very tired, and knicked up / injured United side, that was without two of its star players.

I dont think youll see this kind of result for united for the remainder of the season.

IM fairly confident that the slump will be coming to a dramatic end, and very soon.

11. L.A. SOCCER NATION

L.A. SOCCER NATION ONLY IN L.A.

Jun 17, 2005
    LOS ANGELES
    The Galaxy is the Yankees, Lakers and Raiders of MLS. If it would not have been for us (L.A.) you guys would not have pulled in 24,000 in attendance. Let me put it in the simplest words:

MLS without DC= who cares:p

MLS without L.A. = End of MLS, Don Garber commits suicide, Beckham gets quoted saying "F*U*C*K Coming to America Now"

Where ever we go "WE" draw the biggest crowds, You know it, I know it , Everybody knows it "So why act stupid" Only in L.A.:cool:

12. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Get over yourself.

You've had, what... 4 good seasons?

Ooooooh. Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

:rolleyes:

Red Sox fans are starting to put themselves up there.

Link to evidence that would show that when DC comes to town, the fans come out to watch?

Outside of 2004 and the Freddy Effect, it's negligible.

How about tv ratings on ESPN and ABC?

How does DC rank in attendance?

Oh yeah. They're behind LA Galaxy. :rolleyes:
    Link?

What's a sad fact of life is the following:

DCU fans leave The Ppl's Republic of Knavistan in droves, troll other boards w/ their absurd absolutisms (like your entire post) and then go running back to their boards where they are protected by their fascist mods.

This season, DC fans have been utterly obnoxious in their bragging.

THAT's why ppl are throwing it in their faces.

:eek:

Ummmm.

LA played a total of 130 minutes on Wed., as opposed to DCU, who played 94. And that was on 2 days rest, as opposed to DC's 3 days.

And don't even get started on the injury comparison. Outside of C'bus (setting the all-time standard in injuries), you'll be hard-pressed to find a team that has been more adversely affected by injuries.

We're starting Peter Vagenas at a-mid, for God's sake, instead of the top a-mid in the country (LD) b/c Cornell Glenn has been unavailable since mid-May (WC and injuries).

13. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cue the violins.
    LA had just played a 120 minute OC game in which we didn't get to rest our "star players" and then traveled 3,000 miles to play in your house with a field roster of about 15 players due to our own enormous season-ending injuries - and we freakin' owned you.

Why can't you guys just accept defeat gracefully? Anything else, you're just embarrassing yourselves.

14. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes: And LA hasn't gotten owned this year as well? It's still one game, in the regular season, with DC 19 points (now 16) up on the nearest competitor in the East. Celebrating like you won MLS Cup when your team isn't even in a playoff position proves the point that you are trying to defend against. If DC was just another team, you wouldn't be celebrating like it was 1999. Oh, and having a galaxy fan talk about smugness is quite funny. Good one ucla ....... I needed the laugh.

15. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    congrats to LA, hope the 3 points helps them get into the playoffs, but with a very strong West, it may be tough for them to fight their way in. Though i'm sure DC will go about beating their rivals (look for DC to bounce back with a win at ChivasUSA on 9/3).

but does LA have what it takes to get into the postseason (a place for which DC will wrap up home-field advantage with just about 6 more points this season). i've got faith that LA can earn a playoff spot, after all 2 of their top 5 players have significant DC United experience. they should be fine. :D

if the '04 and '05 MLS Cup winners could meet at the '06 MLS Cup final in Frisco, that would make for a great game, but I have a feeling at least one of the teams might struggle to make and/or advance though the playoffs.

16. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By all means, please do...

17. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    Re: DC United is a paper tiger

I'm not saying you wouldn't have beaten our 1st team but that wasn't our 1st team. Jolley and Graham our not our starting central defenders, etc.

...was that a bottle thrown at RFK? Stunning.

18. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's a bit early in MLS' history to start comparing DCU, LA, or anyone else to NYY.

19. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    :D
    If this loss against LA marks the bottom of the slide DC is on and as a result they do turn around and start winning again. It benefits your team greatly.
    I believe that is irony in it's purest form.

*big heaving sigh*

20. L.A. SOCCER NATION

L.A. SOCCER NATION ONLY IN L.A.

Jun 17, 2005
    LOS ANGELES
    Give me a break! Nobody hates DC:mad: L.A. like with all of its team are the most hated teams in the nation and that includes the Galaxy aswell.

Chivas Fans hate us because of the inner city rivalry

San Jose doesnt even have a team no more and we are still hated up north.

Houston hates us aswell because their team was from San Jose and they feel that they can get another rivalry going due to past history.

DC United "NOW" hate us even more because we went to their house and Landon schooled them all.

We have the most hated player in US history in Landon Donovan due to his poor World Cup performance. He is so hated that people actually pay money to go see him and makes other teams attendance increase just so they can have the chance of putting signs and bad mouth him. Now you tell me who is the most hated team in America? In addition, when DC comes to L.A., Believe me! it does not help increase attendance at all:p unlike how we helped your team pull in 24K. We are the hated Yankees, Lakers and Raiders of MLS. Quit trying to make your team seem like they are cool cause their not. I think its the other way around "You guys hate yourselves because the attention "We" get all the time you wish you guys would have one day"

21. KCWiz

KCWiz New Member

May 8, 2003
    Manhattan, Kansas
    I don't hate LA.

With me, it's anybody bu DC, LA Chivas, and Ef See Dallas.

22. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    [​IMG]

23. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    That's really besides the point.

Ppl are "celebrating" b/c the resounding nature of the loss forces DC's peanut gallery to shut UP.

Again. We're not celebrating b/c beating DC is like some magical accomplishment.

Most MLS fans are "celebrating" b/c it's at least one week of DC fans shutting up. Changing their ridiculous signatures. Stopping to ... you know... think, which is something that YOU yourself have pointed out isn't exactly tolerated in The Ppl's Republic of Knavistan. (I especially enjoyed your salient comment on how any notion of "resting" older, key starters was promptly struck down and ridiculed. I could practically envision the posts in response to that legitimate and necessary posture: "We are DC United. We do not rest for anybody.")

Um. Yes. We LA fans would.

It wasn't that it was DC United.

It's that we have suffered since 2003 w/ scant examples of decent soccer. Each season, a game here or there. Last season only in the US Open Cup and for 4 games in the playoffs. That's IT.

And then this season. Five consecutive shutout losses to start out a string of 7 losses. The worst coach in the history of US soccer. A coach that experimented w/ lineups willy nilly to the point of absurdity.

We were devasted by injuries and WC call-ups, and a key player (Cornell Glenn) who would've allowed LD to drop back and play a-mid, gets injured in the WC, comes back last week for 35+ minutes and is out for the season.

We were starting a horrific midfield for almost 2 months: Nagamura d-mid, Gardner and Kirk on the wings, and Peter Vagenas at a-mid.

But even still, we were improving.

Then the 19 year old Sturgis comes back from surgery and immediately earns a starting gig over one of thee top man-markers in MLS: Nagamura. Sturgis adds the offensive vision that Nags lacks.

Then Cobi finally gets to be 100% and gives us a legit winger, sending Gardner (great upside!!) to the bench.

And we get Quaranta, who has breathed new life into the team.

And LD... begins to play very well.

If the game on 8/26/06 had been played at KC, C'bus, Chicago or Timbuktu... LA fans would've been celebrating 5 goals in our team's best in-season performance since 2002.

The fact that arrogant DC fans have to eat crow... icing on the cake. :D

24. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very true, we are waiting for the day where we can hate you even more.:D When, the Quakes return, I imagine the first game for LA in San Jose will be an incredibly intense and emotional one, escpecially if Donovan is playing.:cool:

25. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very good points. I'd expect other Cali cities to not like you because of regional rivalries. When I first watched MLS, Houston didn't have a team, and I couldn't bring it upon myself to root for Dallas. It would be against every fiber of my being to root for a Dallas team.

I don't hate LA because I'm supposed to. I hate LA because of Donovan. I thoroughly enjoyed yelling at him at the recent LA game. I think even LA fans secretly hate Donovan.