DC United vs Columbus PRE Match Press (W. Times, W. Post)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Jose L. Couso, Oct 3, 2003.

1. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Washington Post-DC United (10/4)

DC United

"But the real key may be veteran midfielder Marco Etcheverry, who Hudson said will be relied on "heavily, home and away" down the stretch and may have to recapture some of the form that inspired United to win three MLS titles in the 1990s."

"I still think if we're going to need a player to provide that magic dust, Marco is the one that carries that real touch," Hudson said. "He's still the highest paid player in the league. He's still the biggest creative threat we have, but it's got to be really brought to a boil now."

2. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    That he's still the highest paid player in the league is utterly ridiculous.

3. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    hopefully he'll have an impact sealing the game away as a late sub after we have the lead. I would like to see Earnie running the show with Cerritos and Martins up top..oh well.

4. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--
    Re: Washington Post-DC United (10/4)

"Magic dust"? I thought in DC they called it "loveboat."

5. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Outside of the fact that he helped build this league, maybe you can grace us with a player that deserves maximun salary....

6. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Injuries devastate United - Washington Times, John Haydon
    United Steels Itself for Stretch Run - Washington Post, Brian Straus

I guess Steven Goff is still on WWC duty.

7. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    Marco will remind the Crew who there daddy is tonight (and it ain't ben olsen).

8. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia

Any excuse to be in Portland rather than Washington. :)

9. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If I had a dollar for every time I've read some version of this statement over the last two years, I could retire.

Or finance a stadium.

10. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    i think a motivated marco can have a real impact in the second half of a match. it is similar to stoichkov. on wednesday when hristo came in, he played all out cause he was only out there 30 minutes, he played tired defenders and was able to do well.

i could see the same thing happening with marco. i think marco can still provide a lot of magic, especially in more limited time on the field. the crew doesn't have the hardest working and defensive minded midfield in the league and i really think stewart, martins, cerritos, cheyo can find space against their defenders.

i realize we are short handed but you can't tell me we can't put out 11 or 13 guys who can put one on this columbus team. we will have some opportunities today and guys need to step and get them. a guy like marco or convey could step up and shut up a bunch of critics. a stokes or a namoff can make a name.

11. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    From the Times article:

"Only two of the U.S. team's 12 goals have come in the run of play; the others all came from set plays. Five of the American goals have come off corners, three off free kicks and two from penalty kicks."

When the WWC is over, maybe DCU can hire their coach and work on corner kicks!

Seriously, it's discouraging to hear Ray sounding so pessimistic. Hope it doesn't rub off on the team.

12. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    I wholeheartedly agree.

Over the pond careers are made of situations such as this one.

If Stokes or Namoff can fight for their lives and score a timely goal, it would be very hard to leave them on the bench in future games (Even Ray will have a very hard time sitting someone who has scored a winning goal in a critical game).

They need to be hungry for such opportunities and show it.