DC United vs Chicago Fire POST Match Press [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  2. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bobby COnvey - Class Act

"He was just standing over the guy -- we needed to keep playing and not focus on the little stuff," Convey said. "We try to play a certain way and it doesn't work out like that. I don't want to be a jerk because this is my first time in the playoffs, but I want to win. . . . We let them score and then everyone is all over the place."

From the Post story

3. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Goff: For DC, It's Open Season (11/10)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A19550-2003Nov9.html

Goff's write up, of interest is Convey's take on the shoving incident.

It also mentions that Scum assistant Mo Johnston is one of the leaders to repalce Hudson.

4. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    Just MORE proof that HS is a psycho with no redeeming qualities and should never have been given a spot that some young American could take.

If this guy comes back, DC is a joke.

5. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Excellent article. One thing about Goff is that he always knows more than he tells, so you can read between the lines and surmise that Goff has spoken with Payne (most likely) or another high ranking DC United official who has indicated that Hudson & co. will be leaving. I hope so, because I do not like what DC United has become--a non-scoring thuggish team that is the laughing stock of the league. Ray is a natural as an announcer, I hope he moves into the booth. Trask has some ability, but not at the head level, he needs to be a defense-only assistant somewhere that has a strong-willed and tactically savvy head coach. Hristo needs to retire or move on.

Hopefully, this is a step towards Convey taking over this team. Put the keys in his hands and let him learn to drive. Surround him with speedy, one-touch-passing midfielders. He will create a ton of chances for our strikers. I believe that with Rimando, Petke and Reyes we have the makings of a superb defense. Even if Nelsen leaves or Prideaux is traded, we should be solid in the back. Now we just need a coach who has a plan to come in and get our players all on the same page. Oh yeah, and another striker or two wouldn't hurt.

Excellent article SG.

-Digital

6. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Honestly, this is exactly what I wanted to hear from Goff, and I fully second your post DT, except I think Hristo needs to retire and move on.

I hope though that Johnston or whoever will be on the same page with Kaspar and Payne when the big personnel decisions are made. I do think Hudson has been hurt by those above him and if the new coach has the same problems then his task will be very tough.

7. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I merged the various news thread because 1) most of the articles tread basically the same ground and 2) it's easier to mitigate against spoilers this way.

Check out Wright's article in the Times though. Amongst other things it features this nugget ...

8. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    Just what exactly is it you wanted to hear from Goff and that you think you actually heard?

Do you think Goff truly has the pulse of the team in terms of his opinions? I'd be curious to know why as none of the quotes, nor any of the available information support that.

As for United's future, if anyone somehow thinks turning over the keys to Convey is somehow going to save DC United, I want some of what you're smoking. Not that he doesn't have the talent or potential to do it, but what honestly makes you think he's going to be any better as an A-mid than his paltry record as a wide MF'er? Other than blind devotion that is.

9. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    From Hudson:
    "If we had started out that first game at RFK, in front of our fans, as we had started out tonight, it may have been different."

The hell?! There was nothing in the opening minutes that showed we were even close to making this series any different.

10. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    Watch the game again.

There was Marco making numerous threatening passes that were wasted. There was Earnie manuevering for a wide open shot from the 18 that he hit right at Fat Zach. There was Quaranta torpedoing a header right past the Upper 90 after a lovely cross by Marco.

United had the two best chances of the first half. The fact that Ralph made more of his half chance by beating our best defender from 25 yards out and cracking a wicked bullet into the upper 90 to score the only goal of the half, doesn't mean United didn't deserve to be in the lead.

A rookie made his one shot count. Earnie and Quaranta didn't. If either of them scored and Ralph doesn't connect on a world class goal, it's quite a different game. Had United done that in RFK, it's quite a different series. Hudson is right.

11. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    I agree that it could have been a different game IF things had been different.

However, in you arguments you continually state "could have been", "should have been" (this was with respect to the overtime games in the other thread), etc.

And you are somewhat right.

However, when a team continues to make the same mistakes over and over without changing the outcome, then it is the coaches fault (as he should have learned from those mistakes).

While this team did not disintegrate at the end of games like it did in the recent past, it still got into the bad habit of losing focus at the end of games. Games (if the results had been different) would have changed the complexity of season.

A coach should also show confidence in his players, by playing them even if it is for a few minutes at the end of games. When Yallop sticks in Roner with less than two minutes left (no disrespect, but who the heck is he!?!) and he scores the tying goal after being down 0-4, one knows that the coach has confidence in his players, and is rewarded by his players for that confidence.

While I like Hudson's passion for the sport and his love of soccer in general (I also supported him to the very end), I do not have faith in his ability to turn DC United around.

12. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Threatening passes?????? Would those be the numerous long high useless ball that the Chicago defenders easily handled? Or the helium ballon like corner kicks he lofted into Thornton's hands??? Please stop suggesting others are smoking things until you take off the Marco blinders.

United was sleep walking the entire game, Convey, Marco, et al, played horrible games as if they were simply looking to "play out the string".

13. Victory

Victory Member

Sep 20, 2000
    RFK LOT 8
    "Forwards Thiago Martins and Alecko Eskandarian were scratched. . . ."

WHY. There better be a dam good reason we scratched two strikers when we needed goals. Before I say anything else was this due to injury or sickness or what.

14. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    I thought Martins would get the start and go the full 90. I'm disappointed in that decision unless there was some kind of injury Martins had we don't know about.

15. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  16. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    Wonder if he actually went to the game or phoned in his article from his living room....

17. gunner_21

gunner_21 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Cumberland, Maryland
    From the Post:
    Ryan Nelsen-
    "Once it got to two goals," Nelsen said, "we knew it was going to be awfully tough."

Now there's the understatement of the year.

18. stevengoff

stevengoff New Member

Feb 13, 2000
    Washington DC
    LOL!

Yes, Brooke (aka Sandon) actually showed up for this one. No sign of Jayson Blair, though.

Attorneys can be disbarred, but disgraced journalists just keep reinventing themselves. Hell of a business, ain't it?

19. Serie Zed

Serie Zed Member

Jul 14, 2000
    Arlington
    See Marc Fisher today for someone with something to say on this same subject.

20. stevengoff

stevengoff New Member

Feb 13, 2000
    Washington DC
  21. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia

The same prediciment didn't phase San Jose, did it? At least we know one MLS organization has molded their squad into a fist of a team...

22. Anyone care to elaborate on the Brooke Tunstall story (if there is one) ? I remember the guy from a few years back, IIRC he wrote for the Times.

23. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    No kidding! I've been really tempted to start a thread asking whether or not DC United ever was the "fist of a team" that Hudson claimed. As I saw it we were a terribly soft team that mailed it in half the time and then bitched and complained and fouled because the other team didn't roll over and die for us anyway.

But San Jose ... THE SMURFS ... who'd have thunk it - that was a fist of a team!