PBP: DC United v Atlanta Silverbacks 9-20-23

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by song219, Sep 19, 2023.

1. QuietSide

QuietSide Member

Oct 18, 2002
    The penalty was disallowed because of an offside call.

You can see this play out in the way the VAR decision went down.

Ref calls handball (which I would call harsh but consistent with the way hand balls are called today).
    VAR checks and says no obvious error.
    Teams line up for penalty.
    Ref says hold on.
    At this point I believe VAR noticed the possible offside.
    Ref listens some more and then goes to the video.

When the cross was first played, Benteke and another player (I think it's Hines-Ike but not positive) appear to be offside although it's not 100% clear because there's a Atlanta player at the back of the pack.

Benteke goes toward the middle so he's not really involved but Hines-Ike (or whichever DC player it is) goes for the header.

Pines (who was clearly onside) also goes for the header and he is the one who wins the header.

The ball is deflected, drops to a DC player who rips a shot, hits the Atlanta player in the arm as he turns away, goes to Ku-di who shoots wide.

So as best I can tell they disallowed the PK because Hines-Ike or whoever was offside and "involved in the play."

This is a subjective call (which is partially why it took so long), and while I'm obviously bias for DCU, it seems like a bad one.

As far as I know if Pines had simply headed the ball directly into the goal it would have been fine. Cross comes in. Two players go for it - one offside and one onside but it's the onside guy who gets it and heads it in. I'm pretty sure that stands as a goal.

Why take away the PK when the offside guy wasn't the one who played it?

In any event, after coming away from the video and indicating no penalty the ref raises his hand to indicate its an offside call and you can also get that from where he indicated the kick should be taken...

All in all, I think the PK should have stood. Not sure Benteke would have made it though...

2. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    So some player who we can't identify and wasn't involved in the play was maybe marginally offside in the run up to the play and that's why the penalty was disallowed? It's simpler and makes more sense if you just say that a shadowy cabal in MLSHQ doesn't want unfashionable DC United in the playoffs.

Winoman and John L repped this.
  3. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clear and obvious is the rule. If it takes ten minutes to get the call correct, it’s not clear and obvious to overturn.
    So at minimum, the refs aren’t reffing by the rules. They should look once or twice, if they have to squint or look at it three more times, call on the field stands.
    So really VAR doesn’t get a chance to work efficiently when the rules MLS set up for it aren’t applied.

4. QuietSide

QuietSide Member

Oct 18, 2002
    I just watched it again and I really think it's a terrible call.
    Hines-Ike goes for it but never touches it and has no impact on the Atlanta player's ability to play the ball which Pines (who was onside) wins.

Also, looking to see if PRO had made any comment, I came across this Twitter feed which apparently provides an auto-generated explanation for every VAR decision in MLS. They confirm it was due to an offside on Hines-Ike.

https://x.com/MLSVAR/status/1704663713511559456?s=20

Chesco United repped this.
  5. QuietSide

QuietSide Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Also, with regard to this game, why did Rooney have Benteke playing out on the left wing? Put him in numerous positions where he was asked to beat someone 1v1. Let's just say that's not his strength and playing him there was, well, odd...

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  6. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trying to post him up on Lennon who he could physically dominate, which he did. Provides a good outlet but they weren’t using it until Benteke started yelling at Canouse to look up.

superdave and Winoman repped this.
  7. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Pirani's best feature is that he's a legit 10. I'm tired of watching us trying to shove dildo-shaped blocks into the giant round hole in our midfield. He's not a superstar 10 teams would line up to overpay for, but IMO, he's good enough to support a strong cast, and that's better than we've had up to now.

8. QuietSide

QuietSide Member

Oct 18, 2002
    I generally agree with this.
    If this was a 20 year old who had come up through our academy we'd be raving about him.
    The only reason he's available to us is that the final ball is not there (whether the final pass or the shot).
    It's possible that that could get better, which it would need to do for him to stick around for more than a year or so.
    Either way, he should not be wearing the #10 jersey right now. That's just an embarassment....

DCU repped this.
  9. QuietSide

QuietSide Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Seemed to me that it took him largely out of the game.

Benteke is basically two aspects to his game. He can win and keep long balls and get on the end of crosses in the box.

When you put him out on the wing, you lose one of those two.

And instead of Benteke taking the shot in the box or the skying for the header, you have Fajardo...

sitruc, Winoman, Hedbal and 2 others repped this.
  10. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    No. It's strangely appropriate. :(

DCU, Winoman and revelation repped this.
  11. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    So Fajardo was yet again the target player?

Yowza repped this.
  12. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Someone has to wear it. Better him than Durkin or Pines or Santos or Ruan or Benteke or Bono. Although Bono would be funny with the #10. Miller, you could maybe justify it...

anotherfan repped this.
  13. QuietSide

QuietSide Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Actually, no, someone doesn't have to wear it.

We didn't have a #10 on the roster before he arrived.

That jersey is earned. It's why Chelsea fans were so pissed off when it was giving to Pulisic for no reason other than marketing shirts to America.

For DCU to just hand it to some 20 year old prospect is embarrassing...

DCU repped this.
  14. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kid has to have some balls to grab the number ten, I like it.
    It’s funny the number ten still holds certain expectations. It’s interesting to me.

fatbastard, GlennAA11 and Winoman repped this.
  15. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dildos are shaped to go into holes. Aside from that the rest is gold.

PSURoss, Winoman and superdave repped this.
  16. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fajado scored 20+ goals in for his last (or thereabouts) so he can do it. I wouldn't give up quite yet.

Yowza repped this.
  17. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    It could have been a foul, but it really looked like the defender was just soft and easily dispossessed.
    It's easy to see he has something. He has a history of scoring. I want to believe he just had a horrible night. Unfortunately for him, he doesn't have long to impress if he wants to stay on this team.

Yowza and Winoman repped this.
  18. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    I just don't think we're doing much with this roster until we can offload our dead wood and there's a lot signed though 2024. This team needs a plan in the worst way and get DPs that support that plan
    He has scored goals in quantity for sure, but the bulk of them were in Panamanian & Peruvian leagues. He might just be the Panamanian Messi.
    Now we just need that strong cast ...:rolleyes:

GlennAA11 and revelation repped this.
  19. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Don't say that.
    upload_2023-9-22_10-52-47.jpeg

20. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    I'll betcha the guy in that pic, with the cast on, is better than some of the players on our roster right now.

Alejandro 10 repped this.
  21. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Just some??

PSURoss and Alejandro 10 repped this.
  22. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it's a photo of Josh Gros, I'll agree with you!

MattR, Yowza, song219 and 1 other person repped this.
  23. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    ¿Most?

Alejandro 10 repped this.