DC United: USA's most widely supported American team?

Discussion in 'Supporters Abroad' started by deadhead, Aug 29, 2005.

1. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    Where did you get this?

2. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    I'm waiting until the end of the season when they come out with the 5-star models.

Thx,

Jay!

3. d1dad

d1dad New Member

Aug 14, 2004
    We watch all of DCU's games in Montgomery County, Pa. Maybe DCU could come up and play a game in Philadelphia?

4. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Aside from Chivas (they don't count cos they have mother club, cheaters ;) ) there's no team in MLS that's supported on road if supporters don't travel from home city. There's no Barra Brava Chicago or LARS Boston or Section 8 Maryland, we're just not at that level yet.

There are fans in other cities that come to game and wear a jersey, and I guess in literal sense that is support. I suppose then as far as DC, any team that has Honduran, El Sal, Guatemalan or Mexican players has support :D

5. ArieBombarie

ArieBombarie New Member

Aug 26, 2005
    Wish I could see some games from the MSL for a change, can find plenty of other leagues (stream etc.) and have some good eredivisie stream availble for people interested.

6. gosh1976

gosh1976 Member

May 29, 2005
    atlanta

7. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I thought almost every game from season is on mlsnet.com?

8. gosh1976

gosh1976 Member

May 29, 2005
    atlanta
    yeah almost everygame.
    I think they do have audio for every single game but sometimes it's only in spanish... I don't know if the video is always available live or if sometimes just afterwards...

9. Colonial717

Colonial717 New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    Every game that is televised and that is not the ESPN 2 game.

10. gosh1976

gosh1976 Member

May 29, 2005
    atlanta
    ah ha I wondered what the determining factor was

11. deadhead

deadhead New Member

Jul 3, 2005
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    is there some way we can move this thread to the MLS:General forum?
    i havn't been here that long and i'm still not exactly sure how everything works around here.
    i results and banter could be interesting

12. Darth Norteño

Darth Norteño With Buddha In My Fists

The Arsenal
    Wales
    Dec 9, 2003
    laceyforest.arl.va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Don't screw with a winning formula. As for logos, the only one that matters is the crest and the stars above it; fu¢k all the rest. And having a team name plastered all over the front in addition to their crests like they're sponsoring themselves is hardly what I call exciting.

13. Monarch Bay Beachbum

Apr 5, 2004
    The OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My son wears his DC United jersey and DC United Adu t-shirt all the time here in The OC. He also got a "Go United" comment from a guy at Edinburgh castle in Scottland last summer.

I also saw a drunk with a DC United t-shirt in Santa monica about a month ago. I just assumed it was Knave and threw a dollar in his hat.

14. Darth Norteño

Darth Norteño With Buddha In My Fists

The Arsenal
    Wales
    Dec 9, 2003
    laceyforest.arl.va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    If you tried that at RFK, you'd run out of money real damn quick. ;)

15. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    A month ago, huh ...

If only I'd been in town that could have been MY DOLLAR.

... anyway, where the hell is my t-shirt?

16. Monarch Bay Beachbum

Apr 5, 2004
    The OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He had a bottle of Knob Creek.

Who else could it have been????

17. oldkeepersneverdie

oldkeepersneverdie New Member

Feb 11, 2000
    Vegas Baby!!!
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, they have a supporter in Las Vegas! It probably didn't hurt that I grew up in PA and lived in metro DC for about 5 years.

There's a few people out here in the soccer black hole that recognize DC United. Actually ran into someone in one of the shops that claimed he was related to Nick Rimando. Even if he was lying, still it's nice to know that people know that MLS exists.

18. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    rimando had over 100 cousins at the 04 MLS Cup, so my guess is they probably were telling the truth.

19. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

That's why we call it "flyover country." :D

20. bilmalk7

bilmalk7 New Member

Nov 29, 2001
    Eastern Pennsylvania
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    never ever ever compare DC United to the Dallas Cowboys; we never had a head coach named barry packing heat in an airport

21. jlo

jlo New Member

May 18, 2000
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I have an away jersey I bought in 2000. I would still wear it around Greensboro, but I've gained so much weight that I look ridiculous in it now.

22. Monarch Bay Beachbum

Apr 5, 2004
    The OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw a little kid, maybe 4 years old, with a DC United shirt on at a youth soccer tournament this past weekend. They had a small stand selling replica jerseys and some other merchandise. They had 4 scarves for sale; USMNT, Arsenal, Manchester United and DC United. That struck me as odd since we were in Irvine, CA.

23. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As part of the LA/Socal Contigent and from my time up in San Francisco I think the DC fans in California are a top bunch and make the games quite enjoyable. We have singlehandedly (well not really - but if you buy into the group as a whole thing.....) out cheered Earthquake fans (all) and LA Fans (they put us in the kids and families (handsitters) section). When Knave destroyed the Cobi Bobblehead mid-match people started to leave our section - I'm sure children cried.

Back to the point - a small group of rabid DC fans is all it usually takes to make away MLS Matches more interesting. It also brings out the voices in usually quite opposition fans (though it usually involves chanting "sucks!" at the end of the "DC United" chant.

james

24. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    God, shouting out "sucks!" at the end of another team's chant is seriously the weakest of all sauces in sports chants. :rolleyes:

I hate it in all sports.

25. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    That wasn't me. That was DCU.

Those kids stole my Cobi bobblehead before I could deposit it in an HDC urinal.