DC United - San Jose (Saturday, 8/31) pregame/during-game/postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Aug 24, 2002.

1. jose8lo

jose8lo BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 9, 2002
    washington
    I did not watch or heard the game but from what i've seen on all the posts the team were content to hold a 2-1 lead and fell apart after that. I don't know what's the f*****g problem on the road but against L.A. they need to fix it and quickly or we're not even going to survive the first round come playoff time.the scum won today so we're tie for first depending on the burn-rapids game tomorrow.I'm feeling very crappy right now,we need to win at least 2 out of 3 to go in the playoffs with some kind of momentum.I guess go rapids tomorrow!

2. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not comparing him to Noel Kinney. I am saying that because of Noel Kinney being dismissed, the refs are very gunshy about calling anything that might disadvantage DC in any way because of the stink they made over the Noel Kinney issue. I suspected this in the last Quakes-DC game, when the blatent push by Prideaux on Donovan was ignored due to Prideaux's already carrying a card. After this game, now I'm sure we're seeing the refs demonstrating the fear of suffering the same fate as Kinney so they're making sure the calls all go DC's way. It's pathetic, really.

-KMJvet

3. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I firmly believe if they don't give up the 2nd goal, they don't give up the 3rd or the 4th. And the fact of the matter is, they didn't really give up the 2nd goal, it was a clear offsides when the ball hit Pope's head. Officials make the correct call on that play, and the outcome is very likely different. No one can say that for sure; but what you can say is that the 2nd goal, which wasn't, completely will change the way the last 20 minutes is played.

-KMJvet

4. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you think it's right for the refs to spot DC a free goal in the 74th minute because they wanted it more?... and the Quakes blew it because they didn't somehow stop an offsides goal?

-KMJvet

5. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    *sigh*
    Didn't see the game but reading about it ruined my good (up untill 5 mintutse ago) day..

God damn I hate when our 'Quakes lose..

I have a pretty bad feeling about 2 weeks in LA, but we need to get it together :(

I think we have seen the end of our dominance over the league :(

GO 'QUAKES!!

I hope there was a really bitter feeling in the locker room instead of an oh-well type of feeling..
    Like I stated I didn't see the game, but from reading about it I understand Landon got a pretty much gimme-goal and Lagos Conrad n Conway had poor games?

6. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I like you..

7. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were some blatant miscalls, ones that should have gone against DC. I'm thinking first of the slam on Mulrooney. And if Landon gets booked for diving, why didn't DC's Salvadoran kid get booked for doing the same thing?

8. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, Landon's goals were both quite nice. Very pretty, not gimmes at all. Conway had some nice saves, is terrific at distribution (better than joe!) but 2 of the 3 real goals would be stopped by Joe or Rimando. Conrad hasn't played well for months... this performance was no better. Lagos worked hard, but he made too many mistakes as always. Actually with the exception of Landon's theatrics that earned him the yellow, he had quite a good game. He was absolutely fouled by Pope on that play, but rather than simply fall he launched himself and threw his head back and basically made as ass of himself.... but the goals were beautiful.

-KMJvet

9. TexanSoccer06

TexanSoccer06 New Member

Dayak had his head up his ass and instead of tracking back on Villegas' goal he kept trying to mess with Marco. I doubt DC scores that goal if he actually follows the play.

Did you watch the match? Replays clearly showed the ball going off Dayaks head. It was the right call. And even if they did take away the goal, the way you guys were playing, DC would've scored again anyways. Quake attack is right on when he says the Quakes have lost confidence. Last years team (or even the squad earlier in the season) would've continued to attack even after being up 2 goals. The team looked like they lost the desire to play (sans Barrett who is massively underrated). All I know is my Burn is rolling, and you guys seem to be headed in the opposite direction. It should be an interesting conclusion to the season.

10. chales

chales Member

May 21, 2001
    Sunnyvale
    I still think it the goal is offsides. Dayak was there to clear the ball but Pope flicked it off his head which then glazed off Dayak's. DC used their offiside positioning to gain an advantage off a DC pass (flick). A ball that glazes off a defender to a forward in an offside position when the ball was initially passed means that the player is offside.

11. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Hi Beerking!! :D

I was at the game and they counted the 2nd goal for DC so it must not have been offside.

12. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    I never mentioned the obvious offside, I just said the first two DC goals were slop,and they were. Cannon probably could have stopped those, conway was out of his element.Period! Now piss off troll.

13. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Oh yeah, I forgot. You are allowed to troll and we are not.

Run by Moreno through defense, pass to Convey, shot off the far post is surely one of the sloppiest goals I have seen also.

Cannon was not on the field from where I was sitting.

14. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

Dayak is a punk. Donovan scored both of your goals. Either, you've got some Pele like expectations for Baby Jesus, or you're really dumb.

15. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.mlsnet.com/games/02/0831sjdc.html
    DC - Nelsen (Pope, Villegas) 74

Yes, I watched it. It did play off Dayak after Pope, but the offsides call still applies because it's the position of Nelson when it's played by Pope. There is one view where it looks like Pope tries for and misses the ball and one view where it looks like he touches it, but the scorer gave the assist to Pope, so the official scorers appear to have replays that show him touching it. Perhaps it does absolve the AR a little though if it was difficult to see the touch by Pope. Perhaps one of the refs on this board will comment on whether a dummy play is a play of the ball, even if you don't touch it, or if it's a handy way around the offsides rule.

But I disagree completely that Quakes have lost confidence, except perhaps in the referrees. They were very much outplaying DC until the last 15 minutes. The Quakes were never up two goals, so did you watch the game?

-KMJvet

16. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    The slow-developing nightmare has come true. The team that had a 10 point lead on the rest of the league and led in every significant catagory a month ago has managed to officially pi$$ it away.

I do acknowledge that they played a lot better on the road for the majority of this game, so there is some hope. Dayak was a welcome sight. Seems like this team has suddenly lost its cohesiveness as a unit. When Goos and LD were out, it was very plain that the offense ran through Graziani and they succeeded. Last night, the offense was running through Donovan--a great thing since he is the supremely talented player he is but now Graziani is out of the flow, like LD was when he first returned. They need to somehow find a way for BOTH of these guys to be involved in the offense together.

Still, the big problem is our defense. What has happened? Neither SuperJoe nor Conway could stop teams if they are allowed to walk in like they have been the last few weeks.

I am still heart and soul in the Quakes' corner but I have to voice shaken confidence after witnessing what has gone on the last month. Our last 3 games are TOUGH. Dallas has 3 of the easiest teams in the league the rest of the way and LA would love nothing more than to bury us now. I won't panic but I am trying to get as comfortable as I can with the idea of a 3 or 4-seed in the playoffs. VERY disappointing! The only way this swings is if we pick up solid wins the last 3 games.

I'm not counting on it.

17. TexanSoccer06

TexanSoccer06 New Member

Colorado 3 - San Jose 0

I did indeed watch the match, and all I can say is that if you want to blame the loss on the refs, go right ahead. The rest of us in the real world know that crappy midfield and defensive play by the Quakes, along with good attacking football by DCU are the REAL reason yall lost.

18. LizAFC

LizAFC New Member

Jun 14, 2000
    San Jose
    Re: Re: DC United - San Jose (Saturday, 8/31) pregame/during-game/postgame thread [R]

Huzzah! Friend, you are so totally 100% right!

Face it people, we sucked big ones last night. We have sucked in our past who knows how many games. Refs can't be blamed for our own incompetency.

I even sort of hope Dallas wins tonight because maybe then we'll realize we need to wake up and get our act together, or else we'll be watchin' MLS Cup from our couches at home. And plus, if Dallas wins, Moose might wear his sexy pants.

19. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feel the same way about Arse too given their play today... incompetent? Hoping Spurs beat Fulham too just to give the Woolwich Wanderers a bit of a wake-up call?

And no, refs can only be blamed for their own incompetency.

-KMJvet

20. LizAFC

LizAFC New Member

Jun 14, 2000
    San Jose
    Being that it's only the beginning of the season, I find it a little more excusable. And Paddy V needs to keep his emotions in check. I'm not going to defend his actions because he got exactly what he deserved.

Arsenal played like crap today, just like they did against WHU, and in the second half against WBA.

At least I can admit when my team plays like crap.

No, because I could less about teams' performances that don't affect me, Arsenal, or the Quakes.

And truth be told, I could give a flying ************ about S*urs at all.

Can't argue this.

21. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:eek:

I was out of town this weekend and, even though I set my VCR, the game didn't record!!!! Does anyone have a copy of this game they can bring to the next tailgate for me? Please, please, please!!! I don't want this to be the first game I miss this season! :(

I'll reimburse any cost or return the tape after I watch the game. Whatever works!

22. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    > Better root hard for the Rapids tomorrow

I sure will!

BTW - what is the Quake's playoff situation?

23. TexanSoccer06

TexanSoccer06 New Member

Well you people dodged a bullet tonight as Jeffries decided to rest the big guns. Each team's remaining fixtures:

SJ: Columbus (9/7), at LA (9/14), Club America (9/18; friendly), LA (9/21)

Dallas: at LA (9/3; USOC), NY/NJ (9/5), NE (9/14), at DCU (9/19)

LA: Dallas (9/3; USOC), at Chi (9/7), SJ (9/14), at SJ (9/21)

Crunch time folks.

24. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you try to ask Bill? He has been on vacation but should be back now, and hopefully he should have the game.

Good luck.

25. Deuteron19omy

Deuteron19omy New Member

Jun 16, 2002
    California

Yeah Donovan scored two goals but if he would have given a ************ about playing hard he would have scored a few more, but no his lazy ass didn't even try!!!!

And don't even diss on Dayak... Hes 10 times better than you cause thats right i don't see your ass out there... oh yeah thats right cause YOU SUCK!!!!! Dayak played a awesome game considering it was his first game back since july 4th... and considering he's playing on a torn groin!!!