DC United - San Jose (Saturday, 8/31) pregame/during-game/postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Aug 24, 2002.

1. TerremotoFan

TerremotoFan New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    San Jose, Ca
    Yup, that's how it looked to me. It's not just Conway the Quakes let it happen more than anything. and L.D.s' yellow card dive , what the hell is the matter with that guy?!!! How many yellow cards is it for him, 3??

2. TerremotoFan

TerremotoFan New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    San Jose, Ca
    Yes it's a clear offsides no question. With the original camera it's not so clear but with the replay shown from a higher more direct angle you can see Nelson offside when Pope flicks the header.

3. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Did Pope touch the ball? I was in section 334 at the game, and I thought it hit the defender, not Pope. But I guess it's tougher to see live.

As for the officiating, anyone who compares this guy to Kenney clearly didn't see the KC-DC game.

RS

4. Ugluk

Ugluk New Member

Nov 15, 1999
    The ball hit Dayak, not Pope. It's clear on the replay. San Jose didn't challenge it, nor did your announcers calling the game. Had Pope contacted the ball, it would have been offside. But he just missed, keeping Nelson onside. No need to fire the ref yet. San Jose may have outplayed DC for some of the game but the officiating was definitely adequate. Kenny's blunder had nothing to do with calling the run of play, and the officials showed no reluctance to blow the whistle, like the first four fouls that went against DC.

5. TerremotoFan

TerremotoFan New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    San Jose, Ca
    Yeah, looks like your right, Pope makes the flick but the ball seems to deflect off Dayaks' head. I hate being wrong.

6. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    JESUZZ! This is like watching a car crash in slow motion! The quakes started walking after those two stops by Rimando, and Frank is too damn slow to sub players!

Anyway, my vote for MOTM is Jimmy Conrad - I normally love the guy, but he absolutely GAVE the match to DC.

I'm disgusted!h

7. TerremotoFan

TerremotoFan New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    San Jose, Ca
    Pope DID get the ball first.

8. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp 4-2, Quakes lose. :(

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

9. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I have a very bad feeling about the rest of the season. If the Quakes can't prevent three unanswered goals from DC, I don't see how we can progress through the playoffs. This is a team in trouble.

10. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    "wrong way" Conway (R)

This guy shouldn't be playing in Major league soccer. He gives up two easy slop goals that Cannon would probably have saved and at times looked like a deer caught in the headlights. He was out of his element on the pitch tonight as a starter and it showed. No leadership qualities what so ever.
    Don't get me started on the ref, four yellows on us and none for DC? What about that push from Reyes just outside the box? The official sucked s*** tonight and should be shot at dawn along with Conway.Aaaarrgh!!!!!!! What a f***ing joke all the way around.

11. perfectpitch

perfectpitch New Member

Jun 13, 2001
    where in the hell did frank get this defence from.......i know that robinson has not played that well the last two games, but i think he might have made some difference

12. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    BTW - Reyes clearly deserved a yellow - we got an appropriate 'play on' when we won the ball and play continued, but his tackle on Coralles (I think) was at least as bad as Zak's. Unfortunately, this ref seems to have the attention span of a gnat and promptly forgot all about it. Reyes should have been shown the yellow at the next stoppage.

Also, I don't know what Donovan has to do to get a break!? I mean, Marco trips him in the box and he doesn't get a call, he gets roughed up week after week with no calls, and every time he embellishes, he's shown a yellow?

I'm starting to think that he SHOULD go back to Germany. At least he won't have to deal with these M o t h e r f * c k i n g lousy excuses for refs we've been seeing lately!

13. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    First of all: CONWAY SUCKS!
    Second of all the officiating was pure shite, four yellows to none and that non-call on Reyes for the push was crap! The bias was evident from the start of the match and this idiot shouldn't work another MLS game as long as he lives. This game was bulls*** from start to finish with the exception of Landon's goals.

Third and last: CONWAY SUCKS! Allowing two slop goals from DC that Joe would have stopped does not recommend his sorry ass as a starter.

14. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Spot on analysis, Beerking; but, what do you think about Conway?

15. Deuteron19omy

Deuteron19omy New Member

Jun 16, 2002
    California
    i know everyone thinks donovan is such a great player but lately he has not done SHNIT!!!! he doesn't move to the ball, yeah tongiht he scored 2 goals but if he would have moved to more balls he could have many many more...

16. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp SHNIT? :confused:

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

17. Deuteron19omy

Deuteron19omy New Member

Jun 16, 2002
    California
    SHNIT= ***************

I'm not going to put it all up there

18. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    "wrong way" Conway (R)

1) Maybe if I'd been drinking beer instead of Australian wine I might feel the same way. But I thought there was only one goal (Zambrano) that Cannon might have done better with. No, dear Brutus, the fault was not with our keeper, but with our back-line and midfield. I might be jumping to a hasty conclusion, but I think it might be time for our grizzled veterans to step aside in favor of Conrad-Barrett-Robinson-Corrales.

2) So that's a Jair Marrufo? You are correct, oh mighty Beerking, he was indeed el-stinko. It feels to me (in the "waah-waah" department) that all calls are going against the defending champs, and against Donovan in particular. Doyle & Shrader hit the nail on the head...they're giving Donovan the "anti-superstar" treatment.

3) Conway isn't a forceful leader. Not like Joe. And it appears he's having trouble communicating with his back line. It really reminded me of the original Quakes in 1982 when Mike Hewitt was hurt and the Quakes acquired Paul Coffey from Chicago Sting -- who had been one of the league's best keepers. But he just didn't mesh with the Quakes back line and didn't take charge of the defensive effort. When Hewitt returned the difference was immediately evident in his leadership abilities.... Expect the same from Joe when he returns Saturday.

19. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    So, basically, all a playoff opponent will need to do is win game 1 in San Jose (if it's even here), and the series is over... :( ...really, this road performance has got to get better.

My biggest question is "whatever happened to passing?" Although there were a couple nice Landon goals and a couple crosses that almost reached their intended targets, there were a few other times that either Landon or Graz could've sent through balls to open guys and didn't.

Oh, well, DC showed a lot of heart tonight and deserve the win.

20. TexanSoccer06

TexanSoccer06 New Member

I would blame poor midfield play and very poor, sloppy defensive play in the final 20 minutes of the match INSTEAD of the officiating. How many of you even watched the game? SJ got totally outplayed from the 70th minute on, and deserved to lose this match.

21. Deuteron19omy

Deuteron19omy New Member

Jun 16, 2002
    California
    i agree that they gave up in the last 20 mins... and they did deserve to lose... but as far as the defense goes, i think dayak kicked total butt considering the last game he played was on july 4th!!!! GOOOOO DAYAK!!!!!!

I think that on saturdays game we should all stand up and chant "dayak,dayak, dayak, dayak, dayak, dayak"

we need agoos and dayak in the back with barrett and conrad and cannon!!!!!

and landon needs to sit the bench until he decides to start giving a ************ about playing!!!!!!!

22. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    The LA-NY game is on tape delay at 10 PM, but unless you're a masochist, you won't watch it...(R-alert...)

LA 3:0 NY/NJ

We're in a tie for first, folks. Better root hard for the Rapids tomorrow... :(

23. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC really wanted this game more. They really started to push the ball forward towards the end of the game. They had the lead going into the half, and when it was lost they didn't pack it in.

Can't call it on the refs--it's merely that DC looked like the organized team, while the Quakes blew the chance to hold on the lead.

Conway merely isn't ready for prime time, and doesn't seem to galvanize the troops. I'd rather have a Joe Clone than someone who plays the game different. All right, he did win against KC, but the team except Donovan for the two goals looked like crap. Dayak did his job--Conway didn't...

We'll see how the Final three games go... right now it looks like the Quakes could go two and out in the first round...

24. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pathetic game. Finally, the team plays with composure for first 70 minutes, but then they decide to sit back and hold the lead!!!

I love Lagoos, but he needs to sit. The first goal was his fault (lost the ball and DC countered) and he is just not working well with the rest of the team. Richard's passing is hurting the team. Unless it improves, he may not stay long on the National Team. Ecklund is my co-MVP, but he is either hurt or physically unable to complete a game. He kill us in the last 20 minutes with him standing around on defense. Conrad didn't even jump on the corner and was just too inconsistant. Agoos and Dayak will need to return for us to have any chance in the playoffs...

Fact: This team has lost confidence and can no longer play a complete game. Unless they win on the road in LA, they will not make it to the MLS Cup.

Lastly, I'm starting to side with some of the foreign players that have been saying the officating is terrible in the MLS. In my opinion, at this moment, this is the weakest area of the league...

25. Deuteron19omy

Deuteron19omy New Member

Jun 16, 2002
    California
    Well said QuakeAttack

I agree with you 100%