DC United - San Jose (Saturday, 8/31) pregame/during-game/postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Aug 24, 2002.

1. Quake Crazy

Quake Crazy Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Ceres Califonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell will be if we can't win on the road this week.

2. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    That's where you're wrong. Hell will be if you can win on the road this week. :(

3. Quake Crazy

Quake Crazy Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Ceres Califonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC's hell, but heck, your pretty much already there.

4. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a scary, scary game. The Quakes need to win this one. End of story. But I'm not holding out hope without Joey AND it being an away game at the same time.

DC's playing for a play off spot. They want that more than anything. They're gonna be out for blood for that spot.

What are the Quakes playing for? The league title? Hmm.... When I asked one of them if they were shooting for the shield, the response was "sure that'd be nice, but I'd rather have a second Championship."

If the Quakes lose, and Dallas wins.... :eek:

If the Quakes lose and LA wins.... double :eek:

If the Quakes lose and LA AND Dallas win.... Too much to think. My brain hurts!!

5. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is gonna be a big weekend. Thought this might be interesting reading:
    http://www.mlsnet.com/content/02/weekly0827.html

Pay close attention to this part:
    "Los Angeles (12-9-3, 39 pts) – Having already eclipsed United’s maximum total, the Galaxy sit in much the same situation as Dallas. Any loss of points by New England will qualify the Galaxy for the postseason for the seventh consecutive year. With two head-to-head games remaining against San Jose to close the season, a good run of form could land the Galaxy the Western Conference crown and the likely #1 seed in the playoffs."

6. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    Sorry, Goodsie...didn't realize that's what you meant. In that case, maybe our lads can take a rocket across the Hudson.

7. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp But would they be able to do that without a Cannon? :confused:

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

8. sevana

sevana New Member

Aug 22, 2002
    Oakland, CALI
    i think they can

9. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like our chances of beating the road game curse.... unless Kevin Stott or Kevin Terry get assigned the game, in which case, little hope.

-KMJvet

10. Red Raider

Red Raider New Member

Feb 4, 2000
    Player attitude

In regard to the last post about the refs, I sure hope the players don't have this kind of attitude.

I watched the game on TV last evening, the Revolution against the Rapids. I was most impresssed that Twellman, who gets hacked and mauled as much as anyone, simply gets up and gets on with the game, whether the call is made or not. No arguing, no taunts directed at the officials.

What a role model for how the game is to be played. It sets the tone for professionalism; play the game, let the refs make the calls. That's a winning attitude.

11. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure the players play hard to win pretty much all the time (except perhaps certain circumstances in certain friendlies). We'd all expect nothing less no matter the luck, or lack there of, with referring assigments.
    But the stats and track record are what they are in terms of the Quakes' record with certain referrees. So, it can impact the analysis when one is predicting a game outcome, as much as injuires, travel, phase of the moon, or any other factor or superstition a fan wants to consider when making a predication.

-KMJvet

12. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    They'll just have to take the Conway into D.C. (or is that the beltway? I get so confused!)

13. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    Me thinks the "Ronnie & Richard" show will be playing all over El Diablo all match long. I wouldn't be suprised to see some Yellow between the three of them.

15. elainemichelle

elainemichelle New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Lordy, the Quakes need a win. They already have their playoff spot and everything but it will be so humiliating to lose to DC...

16. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is good news, sjqf! I pray to the soccer gods that this away-game jinx be broken. :)

17. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Fear not Quakes fans....

http://unitedmania.mlsfansites.com/story.php?news_ID=200784

Hudson is all but handing the match to you now..

Hudson, in his limited wisdom, has decided that he will drop Brandon Prideaux from the starting 11 in favor of Ivan McKinley out wide left..

After you good folk stop laughing you will of course realize that Prideaux has started every match for the 2nd best defensive team in MLS this season in favor of a guy who, when playing left back, is about as useless as tits on a mule...

If you read the above link, you will see clearly where Hudson states that he really like the central midfield tandem of McKinley/Williams during the last match against the Quakes, but for some reason unknown to any United supporter, he has decided to leave Richie Williams all alone to deal with Mulrooney and Ekelund.. Umm, I'd say that would be advantage Quakes.....

I was anticipating a well fought and exciting match, but with this moronic move on Hudson's part, I say it will end up blowout city in favor of the Quakes...

3-1 Quakes

18. elainemichelle

elainemichelle New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    We all need to say a prayer tonight anyway just in case...

19. jose8lo

jose8lo BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 9, 2002
    washington
    woo hoo!the cowboy is back on "D",boy do we need him badly in there,by the way is this game in the matchtracker?because is not in the shootout package damn it!go Quakes!

20. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it was originally scheduled in the Shootout Package (DishTV) for 4:30 p.m. PDT (real time) but that was pulled and only the 6:30 tape delay on FSBA is there now. Fox probably wouldn't let it go on the Shootout for the Bay Area and pulled it for the whole West Coast, and if you don't get a Fox outlet locally that carries the Quakes.......:(

21. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, Mr. Chopper of Weed, do you think that this implies favoritism for McKinley? I always thought that Ivan was one of Ray's favorite thugs at Miami.

22. jose8lo

jose8lo BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 9, 2002
    washington
    thanks albany58,i'll guess i will keep track of it on the live scoreboard on mlsnet.com.bump!

23. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp In any case, it'll be a tough game for the Quakes - they'll just have to grin and Barrett.

-G

24. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp I hope you're right. :)

-G

25. Anh Jung-Hwan

Anh Jung-Hwan New Member

Jul 1, 2002
    South Korea
    2-1 Quakes with Conrad having a strong game. Conway shaky, but gets the job done. Ariel Graziani gets yellow card for dissent.

Anh has predicted!