DC United - San Jose (Saturday, 8/31) pregame/during-game/postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Aug 24, 2002.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Will the defending champs cross the Hudson by prevailing in the nation's capital without its big Cannon?

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Will the home team stand United and not fall as if hit by a series of Earthquakes?

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp San Jose rebounding from the Mile High dousing it received in the Rapids? DC successfully helping to determine the Supporter's Shield race without being a part of it themselves?

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Discuss.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

2. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001
    Oh crap. An away game. 2-0 DC.

Sean

3. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC has been playing well since the game against the Quakes.

The big test will come tomorrow with their match against the Metros. It could now be that one of those teams will be on the outside looking in, given that all the Western teams have a chance of making the MLS Cup tournament.

If anything, pending the Metros-DC result it could determine the balance of the East.

United with Rocket Ray is going to play the Quakes very tough.

If Conway performs well in this one, it might push Cannon to do even better.

I love goalkeeper controversies!

Cheers!

4. bpc

bpc Member+

Jul 21, 1999
    Silicon Valley
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Is there some reason why the postgame thread can't be a separate thread? That way when the game is over folks don't have to sift through dozens of posts about what channel the game will be on, what the expected player and injury lineups will be, game predictions and flamewars with supporters of the other team, a countdown as to how many days and hours until the game, various and sundry smalltalk to pass the time, etc etc etc.

5. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to be at the Metros game in LA next weekend.

The addict part of me hates that I'm going to miss this game. Even though I'm going to tape it.

But honestly.... No Joe.... It's a road game.... And after today's showing.... I honestly can't say I care that I'm gonna miss this one.

6. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Frankly, I'm glad FY's gotten Conway some p/t so now that Jon's in a must-play situation he won't be rusty (see last year vs. KC).

A full week's rest, Conway training with the first unit all week, and their backs against the wall...

DC 1:2 SJ

7. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp On paper, if there had to be a road game that Joe Cannon had to miss, this one would be it.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Of course, I emphasize: on paper... :(

-G

8. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    First of all, not to be nit-picky but the Quakes would REALLY have road woes if they are trying to get to DC by crossing the Hudson (unless they are going by way of NYC.) It's the Potomac that we have to cross.

This one is setting up rather ugly. DCU must have this game and they are playing at home. They will be the hungrier side. They did earn the draw in SJ, so confidence will be high. Conway in net and Agoos in doubt. Not lookin' too promising if things continue to go the way they've gone lately.

If the road psyche is going to turn, it had better turn in this game. Doing it in L.A. on 9/14 is possible but will be a lot harder (though if the Quakes did it, that would be a much greater springboard.)

I'm hoping for a win. I'll settle for a draw. A loss would just suck. I don't want to see us have to play from behind for the division lead this late in the season.

9. Gandalf21

Gandalf21 Member

May 22, 2001
    Livermore, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a very important game for the Quakes. Perhaps not a must win, but only 3 left and 2 of those against the Galaxy. And their 2 remaining home games aren't "gimmes", Columbus plays them very tough - it took a 3 goal comeback with the game winner in the 90th minute to beat them at home and the Crew has beat them twice in Columbus. The other home game is v LA. Difficult final 3 games.

They have led the league most of the year and it is critical that they stay there. With the way they play on the road, home field advantage through the playoffs is vitally important.

It will be very tough, DC is playing better and no Cannon, Dayak and probably no Agoos.

10. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    With Joe out and "wrong way" Conway in goal our chances are not good. DC played us hard in our stadium and will be very tough at home. This could get ugly, very quickly. Final score:

Quakes-0
    United-3

11. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp But the Earthquakes aren't in any danger of crossing/angering Ray Potomac. :p

-G

12. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you think up this stuff? I love it!

13. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: DC United - San Jose (Saturday, 8/31) pregame/during-game/postgame thread [R]

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Dedication and hard work. ;)

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Thank you for the kind words, Yalpstel! :)

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!!

-G

14. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But, I thought since he went to DC, he changed his name to Ray Potomac. Couldn't get a job working on the Hudson.

15. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp I guess he was able to keep his old name in DC since the fans there consider him a Ray of sunshine (as did Miami fans last season)... although some of his more eccentric comments could cause people to instead consider him a Ray of moonshine.

-G

16. sevana

sevana New Member

Aug 22, 2002
    Oakland, CALI
    Have some confidence in Connway!!! The Quakes'll do fine!!!

17. sevana

sevana New Member

Aug 22, 2002
    Oakland, CALI
    Conway*** (typed too fast)

18. elainemichelle

elainemichelle New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Did YOU see the game on Saturday? I did...

Don't really have to have confidence in any of them... just gotta APPRECIATE them (which has a COMPLETELY different meaning...).

I appreciate that we have more than one goalie... therefore I appreciate Joe. See...makes sense, non? Oui?

19. DouginSJ

DouginSJ New Member

Mar 15, 2000
    San Jose, CA USA
    This makes absolutely no sense, but I appreciate that you're a Quakes fan.

20. elainemichelle

Jul 20, 2002
    Thank you. I appreciate that I'm a Quakes fan too (although I could probably annoy the Galaxy fans enough to keep them from going to the Galaxy games out of fear of me being there which could get rid of the WHOLE Galaxy team...now there's a strategy... hahahaha...might work too).

Even when you think hell would have to freeze over for the Quakes to win (hope we never have that slim of a chance however), you have to APPRECIATE the fact that they are still IN San Jose or at least be happy they MOVE on the field (even when they don't do anything).

Which all means: LOVE THEM EVEN WHEN THEY DON'T DO CRAP.

Which means: BE LOYAL.

(sorry that my posts are taking so long to get to the point but it's been a long day and I'm thinking report-fluff)

21. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    History has seen such moments. ;)

22. elainemichelle

Jul 20, 2002
    And that is why I put that in there.

23. sevana

sevana New Member

Aug 22, 2002
    Oakland, CALI
    not confidence i meant faith or i meant both.

24. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    ...just remember that Hell is just a town in Norway.

You could look it up!

25. Aimer. Northend Diva

Dec 7, 2000
    Hollywood
    hell is also a town in michigan.