DC United logo

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Michael CM1, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Michael CM1

Michael CM1 New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Atlanta, Georgia: US
    This is mainly directed to the DCU die-hards on here (like the Barra Brava and Screaming Eagles). Do the three stars above the DCU logo represent the 3 MLS Cups?

2. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, next year it will be 4.

3. Michael CM1

Michael CM1 New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Atlanta, Georgia: US
    What does the star on the Metros logo stand for? They haven't won squat. :D

4. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    You know how even the kids who sucked at field day got "partcipation" ribbons just for showing up while the cool kids got all the trophies and big awards?

That's what you're seeing with the Metros logo. It's to celebrate their glorious acheivement in the "Thanks For Comin' Out..." Cup

5. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    Duh. The Metrostars' famous 2000 Eastern Division Title.

6. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the number of coaches since Arena ;)

7. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the MetroStar. How unique

8. Ricky_DCU

Ricky_DCU New Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    I know we've had a million threads about this, but count me confused (still).
    Technically, we already have four stars- three above the crest and one inside the crest. I always thought the three stars had something to do with the three stars on the DC flag, and the star within the crest is a vestige of when we had no stars above the crest.

9. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Three stars = three MLS Cups.

No need to be confused.

However, during the '00 season, which was the first time any stars were on the uniform, there were only two stars. The front office said that the star in the logo represented on Cup, and the two stars above the logo represented the other two.

I think someone screwed up and the front office was just trying to cover it up. In '01, I don't think they had any on the uniform. It was either last year or '02 when they put three stars above the badge.

10. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    So if United continues to win championships are they going to keep going all around like the CD Guadalajara logo? Do they stop eventually?

11. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Eventually, years down the road.....

1 star will = 5 MLS Cups

Even many more years down the road.....

1 star will = 10 MLS Cups

12. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll just use different colors like an abacus. 2 silver stars and 4 gold stars = 24 MLS Cups.

13. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    American Flag

14. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
  15. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
  16. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Well, its obvious the original three stars had nothing to do with MLS Cups, nobody had played for a MLS Cup yet in 96.

But does anyone know if those original three stars came from the DC flag?

Or, could the designer of the original logo have thought, "I think we will eventually win three MLS Cups so I will put in three stars."

If so, the designer may have, (without knowing), cursed DC to only win three MLS Cups. Is the "Curse of the Three Stars" real? We will find out Sunday.

17. supa

supa New Member

Mar 15, 2000
    united states
    i think that if a club wins more than 5 cups that what they should do to avoid a mass of stars on the jersey is to have a shoulder patch that designates the number of cups that the club as one. i got this idea after watching a champion's league match several years ago and one of the teams had something like that...the kits had a shoulder patch with a silhoutte of the champion's league cup and a number 'inside' the silhoutte, designating how many times they've won. it's a thought...

18. tabramos10

tabramos10 New Member

Jul 1, 2001
    SLC
    I think that they shouldn't use stars to represent cups at all until they win 10. I'm sure they had a "great idea" when they made the recent unis that they could make the three stars represent the three cups that they've won. It's kinda sweet, but you can just mess around with the math once MLS and DC United finally do have a significant history to look back on. Oh wait, now that we've won 5, let's just have one star. But then what happens with 6? No no no, you can't put 6 stars on. You can't put 9 stars on either. They should've waited until they had 10 to put one star (which may be a long time, I know, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. I love this league but it shouldn't be pretending to have some longstanding tradition).
    Whatever, I guess it's not that big of a deal. Good luck to both teams in the cup final on Sunday. They can have their glory until next year when RSL wins it baby!

19. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, look at CD Guadalajara, they've got a ring of 10 stars below their logo and could easily fit 4 more without it looking too cluttered. Not to mention as the league expands to 12, 14...eventually 18 (or more) teams it is unlikely that more than one team, if any, will have more than 10 stars during the league's first 50 years.

20. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aren't these two sentences contradictory???

I'm confused.

21. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    In 96, they had nothing to do with cups (The three stars inside the logo).
    Now, the three stars represent three cups.

Much like San Jose's two stars above their crest.

22. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    Stars inside a badge are for decoration. Stars outside the badge are for championships.

23. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I seem to remember that the original logo had the three soccer balls (with stars on each) to represent the three parts of the region "United" for DC. Those being The District of Columbia, Maryland, and Virginia.

24. Ricky_DCU

Ricky_DCU New Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    That's blasphemy! I figure that at the end of the league's 50th season we'll have won 45 MLS Cups :)

Oh, and thanks for clearing up the significance of the stars, Mike. Count me no longer confused.

25. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is correct. like he said Maryland and VA are "united" by DC as a soccer area aka DC United.

now the 4 stars outside are for championships