DC United front office, or lack thereof

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by NattyBo, Apr 23, 2015.

1. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since 1975 it's been owned by a range of breweries. No longer even brewed in B'more:
    Canadian brewer Carling
    G. Heileman Brewing Company
    Stroh Brewery Company
    Pabst Brewing Company

2. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cases of 14 oz. cans from the PX Class 6 store! :thumbsup:

shawn12011 repped this.
  3. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    where's my frosty mug?

dadman and shawn12011 repped this.
  5. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    [​IMG]
    this was Friday night living on a hs allowance...saving up weekly lunch money to get an awesome Saturday headache

Winoman and PSURoss repped this.
  6. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Mabel

dadman, song219, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  7. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I also remember drinking Ballantine IPA before IPA’s became a thing.

Winoman repped this.
  8. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
  9. The Ghost of Hamdi Salihi

DC United, Brighton
    Scotland
    Jan 17, 2020
    Pleasant Plains, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    [​IMG]

"Generic Beer," circa 1983. For one tasteless year at VCU, Iron City was out and Generic Beer was in. And then Old Mil came along.

Winoman repped this.
  10. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    At roughly the same time this was the cheap beer of choice at UMBC. By 1984 Milwaukee's Best had pushed it out.
    upload_2022-6-24_22-16-53.jpeg

dadman and Winoman repped this.
  11. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Maybe Ryan Martin should be considered for manager. He is certainly doing things with Loudoun United.

Winoman repped this.
  12. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bottom half of the easter conference table - Tradition.

PSURoss, Winoman and Alejandro 10 repped this.
  13. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    TRASH

PSURoss repped this.
  14. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A near total lack of soccer talent and IQ. I'm totally disgusted with the staff and the players.

15. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As poorly as he botched the relationship part of things, I strongly suspect we'd be pushing for a playoff spot if Losada was still in charge. That is to say, I think the talent level is what it is, which is OK - far better than we are displaying - if the coach can take advantage of it.

I've managed to stay invested in DCU for 20+ years now, but I didn't even want to watch the end of the last two games. The product really is trash. I'm glad we gave Ashton a chance, but I don't see a path forward for the club unless it pulls a New England and hires a coach/gm with the authority to remake the club from the inside out.

16. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    If we didn't have to "stay in our lane," I would be a bit more optimistic about turning it around at some point.

bigredfutbol and Winoman repped this.
  17. Daniel le Rouge2

Apr 16, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    #5617 Daniel le Rouge2, Jun 26, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
    Is it really, though? An ok talent level? Setting aside how low that sets the expectation level, I’ve got serious questions in my mind whether that’s even accurate.

Goalkeeper: one could argue that Bill Hamid, on his day, demonstrated top-tier talent. The last time he did so was three years ago. Higginbotham noted that the DCU brain trust thinks Romo is MLS #1 level. If that’s the case, I haven’t seen it.

Defense: At centerback, we’ve got Birnbaum (see Hamid above) and Hines-Ike (less than impressive since last season’s injury). At backups, we’ve got Pines and Alfaro. Don’t get me started.

On the right flank, we’ve got a converted Najar and Gressel. Neither particularly noted for their defensive acumen, as Higginbotham also noted. We were getting lit up down the right side all game. Our backups there require a shift in formation, since technically, Andy IS the backup there.

On the left there’s Smith, who wasn’t that good at Seattle and whose form has dropped off a cliff since joining DCU. I’m on the hook for saying he’s an improvement over playing with ten men — I’m no longer sure. Do we even have a healthy backup on the left right now?

Midfield: Canouse is a fine complementary player with nothing to complement. And he’s off form. Durkin has struck me as slow and clumsy. He might actually be better suited in defense where his foot speed is less of a disadvantage and his size can be used to better advantage. Djeffal is simply better than any of the alternatives. He’s a kid with serious upside, but he needs to sit and watch a true game-dominating #8 to grow into that kind of role. He won’t get that here.

Don’t get me started on the backups. I will say I like Skundrich’s attitude towards the game, but at 26, he really doesn’t belong on a MLS roster.

Forwards: Taxi is the genuine article. Best player on the roster by a country mile. And yet two turnovers from him ended up in our net yesterday. He needs something to work with. Kamara has been good recently, but has looked lost this year. The lack of decent service, plus the way the front office had treated him as surplus to requirements must have him thinking about retirement.

The backups … well, we need help.

So while you’re not wrong — the whole is less than the sum of the parts — I’ve become increasingly convinced that my assessment at the beginning of the season was incorrect. This team’s ceiling isn’t #8 in the conference and flirting with the playoff line. It’s significantly lower. Eleventh, tenth at best. And because the team’s underperforming badly even by that low standard, we’re actually a serious spoon contender.

EDIT: To bring this back on topic, the disastrous shape of the roster is on the front office. I’m not sure it’s fair to lay the blame at Lucy Rushton’s feet, but after a year, her only significant moves are adding Taxi and subtracting Flores. Then again, maybe she needs a LOT of time to rectify previous mistakes.

sitruc, usadcu, bigredfutbol and 3 others repped this.
  18. dadman

dadman Yo soy un papa

DC United
    United States
    Apr 13, 2001
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wiedemann's is what I used to bait slugs in the backyard when we lived in Winchester. A six was $1.79 at the IGA down the block, sometimes on sale for $1.49.

song219 and Winoman repped this.
  19. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Really agree with your post!

Let’s us also not forget the Kittel debacle. My guess is that we were going to add Kittel and Rodriguez, then call it a day. Perhaps maybe one other move, but not a DP-level move. I truly wonder if we have a plan B? Who would even want to come here?

20. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I had misread how well Loudoun was doing.

21. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was the dizzying heights. Could happen to any one.

Alejandro 10 repped this.
  22. The Ghost of Hamdi Salihi

DC United, Brighton
    Scotland
    Jan 17, 2020
    Pleasant Plains, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Since Losada's last game, when players were dropping by the minute, our injury situation has actually stabilized in a way I can't remember in years. There's Bill's sickness, but I'm not aware of any soft-tissue injuries since Losada left, or really any significant injuries. Of course, that's what you get when players get to go to the beach instead of playing Open Cup matches, and that's what you get when they don't press, track back or accelerate to speeds over 5 miles an hour.

If Losada stays, we'd be pressing and we'd be fitter, but no way we'd have a healthy (if still crap) roster. The team I saw at the end of last year and the first six games of this year, playing a creampuff schedule, was never going to push for the playoffs, especially after the collapse against Austin.

bigredfutbol and Alejandro 10 repped this.
  23. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on the form after Austin we've gotten worse.

Alejandro 10 repped this.
  24. The Ghost of Hamdi Salihi

DC United, Brighton
    Scotland
    Jan 17, 2020
    Pleasant Plains, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I don't disagree. At this point, I'd rather see the powers turn the reins over to Frutose and send Ashton packing. I can't think of any other possible short-term solution, and if it confuses the players and pricks their fragile self-confidence, it wouldn't bother me. Yesterday, they looked like they were playing to get Ashton fired.

Alejandro 10 and United1 repped this.
  25. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ashton should be mercy fired. He can only say 'we gotta be better' 20 times in post game pressers. At least he looks like it upsets him, but he's grasping completely.
    Maybe Brillant can be some kind of miracle worker. Ashton is getting exposed and in the long run that's a good thing I guess.

Winoman and Alejandro 10 repped this.