DC United front office, or lack thereof

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by NattyBo, Apr 23, 2015.

1. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Perry Kitchen

2. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course. I should have known that. I always liked his play when he was here.

3. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was straight trash on the Galaxy though - not that I have a problem with that.

griffin1108 repped this.
  4. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    IIRC, he left on a free (expired contract - dc made an offer but he didnt accept) so DC retained his "rights" in MLS; when he returned to the laxatives DC got $300k in mixed calvinball bucks.

dadman and Winoman repped this.
  5. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    So that's reasonable for his rights under the system that's in place. Now someone explain why we paid anything for Arriola, to me.

6. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Because we had to.

sitruc, tallguy and John L repped this.
  7. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's pretty much the same thing. Galaxy offered him a deal, he went to Tijuana and when he wanted to come back they had his rights.

Winoman repped this.
  8. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has the DMV slipped in terms of youth talent? I'm wondering why our youth development is so lowly rated based on the number of potential impact candidates, see this discussion.

Winoman repped this.
  9. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is plenty of youth talent in the DMV and even on our roster. DC United didn't care about youth development until recently so there is some ground to make up in the community. Look at a guy like Niko Gioacchini he was essentially kicked to the curb at our academy but now has 3 USMNT appearances with 2 goals.

bigredfutbol and Eastern Bear repped this.
  10. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Investing in youth talent seems like a no brainer, with increasing sales to cost ratios for American youth going to Europe. I don't get this organization at all - no pride, no commitment, no balls/ovaries (not both at the same time, although I'm fine with it).

11. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    There was some hope when they brought in Sonny Silooy but they never gave him support to build anything. They wanted him for his reputation. He was disgusted and left. Heard through another coached i worked with who lives in Netherlands.

Eastern Bear, yabo and Alejandro 10 repped this.
  12. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    This organization has almost nothing to do with soccer. Soccer is just a front for a REIT or something similar. We fans are truly an inconvenience to that business, yet having some number of us will represent the potential that they're selling to their real estate customers.

And as far as the academy goes, I think we're light years behind teams like Philly, NJ, Dallas, Orlando who are selling players for 8 figures. Durkin was worth what? $1.5M and I am not sure we've seen that much potential in anyone other than maybe Moses Neyman. That's still a long way from $10M+.

Eastern Bear, United1, yabo and 2 others repped this.
  13. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Not THIS organization anymore. New President and new GM are serious about turning things around. It just won’t happen overnight.

dadman and Winoman repped this.
  14. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Stiamo a vedere.

Winoman repped this.
  15. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They just recently stopped the "Pay to Play" schtick, and then Covid hit. It will take DCU a while to catch up with the rest of the league.

bigredfutbol, dadman, yabo and 1 other person repped this.
  16. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    A bit of willing blindness in the first statement: in addition to Winoman's comments, they broke ground this winter on the multi-million dollar, 30-acre new training complex that will also be used for the academy. And there is significant investment into staff at the academy.

Could the organization do better? Of course. But to imply they are doing nothing and have no commitment doesnt bear up.

dadman and John L repped this.
  17. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    I do wonder about locating the academy and training facilities 50 miles outside of the city when it's historically been in the city. I know getting downtown is no walk in the park, but at least it was somewhat central to a lot of people. By moving it out to Leesburg, I feel like you're totally cutting off Prince Georges and a lot of Montgomery and probably a lot of kids in the District. Keep in mind all the junior players go to school until 4. That's put the parents out in rush hour traffic to get there and probably gets the kids home late with homework still to be done. I can't imagine there are too many people choosing to relocate for their 14 year olds soccer aspirations when you have good programs like Alexandria and Bethesda with strong offerings and not to mention USSDA has programs in conjuntion with Potomac and Arlington. I don't think we had or currently have a residency program. It's a big drive from Alexandria and Prince William. They've got to be practicing 3-5 days a week. 3 is what garden variety travel does.

I don't know what pro players look for when they're choosing to move to a team anywhere, London, Frankfort, Houston, or DC, but it seems to me that most young guys want access to what the city has to offer. I know Birnbaum lives in Bethesda, Arriola & Asad have posted from Arlington. They've got 45-60 min rides in optimal conditions. I'd be surprised if Hamid didn't live in the District. That's a long haul every day

dadman, Yowza and Winoman repped this.
  18. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

All the cool old-timey great United players live out Loudoun way since the original United training center (imo the biggest reason we ruled the first 5 years) used to be out in Herndon

dadman, Yowza and Winoman repped this.
  19. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    oh man, being located at the old deadskins park was definitely a major factor in all sorts of ways. As important as it was, I suspect BA was a slightly more important factor....like jettisoning Suarez. :)

dadman and John L repped this.
  20. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure about willing, may be senility. Investing in property in a high value real estate market seems to be following the REIT model. Did they bring in well respected coaches and scouts known for the youth development chops? If you have that knowledge please share it. I understand being a homer and wanting to see the best in your team. They haven't shown they are really committed to developing talent. Until then your support sounds more like corporate sales.

21. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is a matter of belief. There is new leadership both at the Top of the organization and at the GM role. Will they prioritize academy development? I hope so. I think they will. Maybe not this season but once things get more stable I think they will.

bigredfutbol and Winoman repped this.
  22. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    My question is what prompted this shift in momentum from ownership?

Now they decided to stop phoning it in an run this like a real soccer club? New President, new GM, new coach. It's obvious something has changed but to what degree remains to be seen.

I hope this indicates we will be willing and able to spend sufficient money to get back to the big boy table. My fear is they are trying to still be one of the more thrifty clubs but overachieve, but I'm not sure that all these new hires would have signed up if the owners didn't commit to certain investment.

yabo repped this.
  23. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree in that either they get the benefit of the doubt or not. In my mind, they have patterned themselves after Snyder, above all make money. There's a fine line between that type of ownership and the ones that commit to the mythic elements of the sport - team culture, winning, tradition of excellence, etc... Yes that also gets created by corporate sales, but it's either real or not. You see it on the field, the respect for the crest.

24. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Until I see fans treated differently I will stay on the side of doubt. This is still just a Real Estate venture.

United1 repped this.