DC United @ Chivas USA Thurs 9/6/07 Post-Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Riz, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Publius

Publius Member+

May 22, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a tiny blurb in Goff's chat where a poster said that Emilio gave an interview to a Honduran newspaper about looking to go to Europe in December.

2. Huwiler's Odoreaters

Apr 10, 2007
    I'm shocked that he doesn't want to bathe forever in the lukewarm tradition of the Black and Red.

That was the worst offside call in MLS history.

3. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    I'll complain about the ref in as much as he let Chivas get away with numerous pushes. How the hell can Namoff, Vanney, and Fred (among others) get pushed down and not get a call? The same thing happened against TFC, and it's frankly embarassing how inconsistent the refs can be. Hell, Stott couldn't keep his players straight, much less figure out whether a player is fouled or not.

4. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    Godfather the guy... Make him an offer he can't refuse (pay wise).

Oh, and get him a strike partner, or a third forward at least.

We need Emilio to stay!

5. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Stott is a bad ref. He did not cost the match but his lack of calls for DC United help Chivas keep their momentum.

6. s0ccerm0m

s0ccerm0m New Member

May 8, 2005
    Chivas has NEVER come back to win a match in which they gave up the first goal.

7. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: DC United @ Chivas USA Thurs 9/6/07 Post-Match Thread

We started playing like shit on a stick well before the second half started.

8. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    That was a very tired team wearing black in the second half. Chivas scored two fluke goals, but were unlucky not to score another. I'm disappointed we didn't win after our great start, but feel fortunate we got a point.

The draw puts us a point clear of New England, and as important, gives us the a win for the season series with Chivas.

I'm very concerned about our ability to recover for Sunday. Let's hope for a large and loud crowd to give the lads a boost.

asitis

9. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In this thread almost off the first page now.

10. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    As we were in road white and they play in red and white and Stott wore yellow, which team exactly was in black? But yes, we were tired.:)

11. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    Oops.:eek: It's well past my bedtime. Goodnight all.

asitis

12. s0ccerm0m

s0ccerm0m New Member

May 8, 2005
    I wonder why our free kicks are just so ineffective. I know Burch hits a moving ball much better than a stationary one, so we can't use him, but Gomez seems to have lost his FK touch, Benny isn't getting it done, Vanney hasn't really had very many opportunities......but can't anyone hit a decent FK?

13. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We looked tired as hell for half the first half and nearly all of the second. Tired, tired, tired. So we didn't fight for 50-50 balls, we telegraphed and weakly sent passes, and we got outrun. If Chivas had actually played well themselves, and/or hadn't been screwed by the linesman on that last offside call, they would have crushed us. And they would have deserved to.

Fred, Gomez, Moreno, and Perkins all had really, really bad nights. Only Emilio played arguably well.

And the sad thing is, if we looked that exhausted tonight, there's every reason to believe we're going to be just as exhausted in 2 1/2 days when we square up against a New England side that'll be very well rested.

Dammit. It's not the draw -- I expected this to be a tough match, and going in I would have been happy with a draw. It's not the draw. It's how we looked, which was lethargic and disinterested. And we have a must-not-lose game in less than 72 hours, and then another match 3 days after that.

14. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    ESPN put a major damper on my enthusiasm for tonight's game.

Definitely a blown call on the stoppage time offsides for Panchito. But that doesn't mean it cost Chivas the game. Mendoza's not exactly a scoring machine and Troy's very good coming off his line.

Perkins had a terrible brain fart but still was better than Guzan who bobbles too many low shots right at him. We were awesome for the 20 minutes after the 4-hour football game ended. Jaime involved in both of Emilio's goals, Gomez almost scores from beyond midfield and beautiful passing and movement from just about anyone. Then Troy tries to clear a ball through Razov's hip.

You can flush the rest of the game down the toilet but the ESPN crap would probably clog it up.

15. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: DC United @ Chivas USA Thurs 9/6/07 Post-Match Thread

I must have thought the same thing as you, at the same time. Just about the time that they would go for "station identification" and commercials, they figure they can't halt a soccer match, so there is 5 - 6 minutes of "technical difficulties" where they break for "station identification" and commercials. [Church Lady]How conveeeenient![/Church Lady]

After Troy pulled that goal out of Razov's ass, the team didn't look the same. I'm glad we got the point, but we could have won, with more intelligent play at all positions (not just ragging on Troy).

16. cwnunited

cwnunited Member

May 9, 2004
    If we're getting results on the left coast, as exhausted as we were tonight, I'd say that's a big plus.

Question: Why wasn't benny subbed in the 60th when it was obvious he was spent? He's having arguably his best season ever AND its back on the wing (which we needed SO BADLY early in the year) but i'm paranoid we're going to burn him out and those bone spurs are going to keep him out when we really need him....

Another huge plus is we have our defender of the year back! Bobby has been lights out since getting benched and I think he really handled this whole thing well, especially when you consider the bs trade rumors and crap that surrounded it. He's my MOTM because we needed a strong central defense to hold on to that result, not to take anything away from Emillio for one great goal and one opportunistic goal.

Speaking of defense, I thought they played excellent as a unit tonight. Names was strong as ever (any chance he's in the running for defender of the year??), Burch balled out yet again, and even Vaney had some nice plays in the box although I would have killed him if that temper earned him a red.

Funday Sunday, let's go!!

17. Grasscutter

Grasscutter Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Atlantis
    Club:
    DC United
    And there's going to be more where that came from Sunday. I hope to see three or four different starters from tonight. And for the love of God, why didn't Sohn sub out Gomez? Is he channelling Nowak? We have two more games in the next six days, and he didn't use the third sub.

Overall, good effort and a decent result. This should mean we win any possible tiebreaker against Chivas for SS, CCC, Superliga or playoff home field advantage--not that I think it will come to that :D.

18. Publius

Publius Member+

May 22, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I don't disagree with your assessment, Fred was the ONLY DC player to be able to control and possess the ball in the second half.

19. beergorila

beergorila Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Of all the crap that surrounded tonight's telecast, the thing that pissed me off the MOST was the announcer's remark as soon as the "technical difficulties" subsided:

"Welcome back, you haven't missed a thing."

Are you F'ing serious?!? From what I saw before (along with everyone else, unfortunately NOT the 1st goal) and after, I find this comment to be extremely hard to believe.

(the name is DU-mas)

20. Publius

Publius Member+

May 22, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought they played well too considering the midfield did nothing to hinder Chivas's attack where their players ran unopposed straight at DC's defenders the whole match. It's no wonder the back line picked up three yellow cards.

21. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md

United has the tiebreaker on every team in the league, except for Real Salt Lake if you can believe it. I don't think we have to worry about them in terms of tie breakers.

However, you saw a tired team out there tonight. Against any other team in the league and United just may have walked out with 3 points. Chivas is tough at home (we doubled their goals allowed) and while it wasn't pretty, it was an effect of tiredness.

I was frankly shocked to see the same starting X1 from the Dallas game out there. This was an opportunity to give some players some rest and depend on your now quality depth. Not saying it would have worked, but now we may pay for it on Sunday and on Wednesday without Moreno.

22. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two things really disturb me about this United team. First, the ability to choke in big games with really stupid mistakes, and second how quickly they come apart once the tide turns.

If Perkins keeps these bonehead plays up despite stretches of excellent play he going to be DC's version of Calamity James.

From a game that started out as what should have been an easy win to a game that Chivas can rightly say they were robbed from given an opportunity to go up 3-2 because of a very bad Offside Call from the AR.

23. Colonial717

Colonial717 New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    Couldn't agree more. I went on a three minute rant after that jewel.

24. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    I'm copasetic about this game.

- We got 4 of 6 points from two away games vs good opponents. That's great.

- We scored two goals on Chivas. Come on folks, all together! How many goals had Chivas given up at home all year until tonight? What's that? Two? You are correct.

- We were tired. Honestly- can anyone expect otherwise? No. This is still the regular season where we have a ton of games. Against a good defensive team we're gonna look tired when we play away. Chivas, like Toronto only two games ago, out-hustled us. I think being at home will invigorate us.

- In the race for the supporters shield, the result is that Chivas fell back. Before the game they were 6 points back with two games in hand. Now they still have two games in hand but are 7 points back. Cool.

25. SavannahFan

SavannahFan New Member

Nov 8, 2005
    RFK Section 135
    Club:
    DC United
    Bootsy and Cweed are on the money, the main thing that went wrong with this game was that they were tired, meaning they wanted to get a two goal lead, and then bunker, but that bad luck rebound put Chivas right back in the game.

At that point our boys knew that they could not just wind the clock down, and would have to fight, and Chivas smelled blood.

As soon as the scoreline was 2-1, Chivas became pumped, and fought harder, ran faster, and pushed DC onto it's heels for the remainder of the match. :(

It is almost if they saw that the Soccer Gods had gifted them a goal, and that they felt "FINALLY we can beat DC"...

IMO we did well to hold off such a determined opponent, much as in the same fashion as we held off TFC's desperate fight to score a goal. Which is good to see in our team, but the question remains...

Will we have anything left to tackle the Revs in a few days...? :confused: