DC United and the World--2007-8 Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by JoeW, Nov 28, 2007.

1. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Once again, my work took me to the Great White North the past 3 weeks for various work-related trips. And once again, I wore some of my United gear. When I got to customs/passport control in Montreal, the official asked if my scarf was a "football scarf" and I indicated it was for my club DC United at which point he replied "ah yes, I've heard of them." That's actually pretty chatty for a custom's official.

Then outside waiting for a cab, the guy managing the taxi assignments say my scarf and said "DC United eh? Good season by you guys--too bad Toronto FC is crap." I told him that I'm sure TFC would be better in 2008 and our two clubs had the two best groups of fans in MLS at which point he beamed. Hey--no harm in being friendly in my international jaunts!

In Winnipeg, one of my clients saw my DC United baseball cap and said it looked "snazzy" and asked where he could get one (I referred him to the club website).

Now I'm here in Vancouver. I went out for a walk. As I walked down Westminster Highway here in Richmond, a car drove by me and honked the "DC United" rhythm as they drove past and I thought the driver waved (windows were closed--it was cold outside). Okay, maybe that's just chance but I don't hear Vancouver drivers honking much at each other so I don't think so. But then I walked into a soccer gear store and by golly if they didn't have a DC United jersey for sale (it was older, not the 2007 one) along with the host of other big name foreign clubs like ManU, Real, Arsenal, and so on. And finally, I was connecting with some people in my client organization and one of the guys (who's not a DC United fan, he's a local soccer player and coach who catches what games he can--got tickets for the 2006 WC through the Canadian FA for instance) told me that went to Seattle for the DCU-Real Madrid match and saw the boys play.

2. AMERICANS SC

AMERICANS SC New Member

Feb 1, 2005
    NICE!

I went to Disney World over the Thanksgiving holiday and wore DC United gear almost every day.

I got quite a few comments and stares from the British folks (quite a lot of them there, the most kits I saw were Liverpool (older fans) and Chelsea (younger fans), but a few years ago it was Liverpool (older fans) and Manchester United (younger fans), how times change! :D).

I wore my red DC United training jersey to Wolfgang Puck's and a couple from New York paid for our family's dinner (I don't think it was the jersey that did it, but what the hey!).

3. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC
    I left a Screaming Eagles jersey down with my brother in Guadalajara. Sadly, he has yet to wear it.

4. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    I see an assload of MLS jerseys here at JMU. Most are DCU, but I have seen LA, NE, and the Heifers.

5. Publius

Publius Member+

May 22, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I travelled to Sevilla with the Arsenal supporters for the Champions League game on Tuesday and while walking around town one of the English Arsenal supporters yelled "Hey, DC United!" at me when he saw my DC hoodie.

6. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wore United gear all over England this summer, including at Ewood...

[​IMG]
    ...and at the home opener of the Lincoln City Red Imps, where I was announced to the crowd at the half as the DC United supporter in the stands

[​IMG]
    That's BigSoccer member Lincoln_City_FC with me. He was a great host who made the introductions that led to the announcement. Great crew there.

I got many curious stares at the crest in England, but no recognition that it was DC United, other than at Ewood, of course, due to a certain captain of theirs.

7. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Those Tottenham guys were faking it :D

8. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Well done sir--well done!

9. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then let me follow that with this one...me on a bit of a throne in the Tower.

[​IMG]

Let no one say that DC United is not of a regal line...

I also wore the white and black versions of this great DC United polo shirt, but all of the pictures seemed to be of the red.

With the Red Imps, it was clear that red was appropriate.

The rest being red were pure chance.

And this is my favorite. That's the pennant that we exchanged with Blackburn when they lost to us in penalties at RFK. Being next to it was a special moment.

[​IMG]

10. ryano

ryano Member

Mar 9, 2000
    Huntsville, AL
    "And this is my favorite. That's the pennant that we exchanged with Blackburn when they lost to us in penalties at RFK. Being next to it was a special moment."

You know, DC should sell a version of that pennant. I picked up a Bayern one when I was in Munich and it's great for cubicle decorating. You listening, Kyle?

11. AMERICANS SC

AMERICANS SC New Member

Feb 1, 2005
    I'll second that!

Every team in the world has them in various sizes. I used to collect them for decorating my walls and they are GREAT!

12. PedroUnited

PedroUnited Member

Oct 16, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is me in Peru back around xmas 05', going back in a few weeks with steve "Fighting Amish" we plan on taking more pictures like these.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. BigWave

BigWave New Member

Nov 1, 2006
    Charlottesville
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice pics fellas! I'll be sure to wear DCU jersey when I'm at home in Seattle for the Holidays. It'll be interesting to see the looks I get:)