DC Stadium news

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by greatscott, Oct 18, 2003.

1. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a DC fan and i just don't agree with you. have you ever thought that there attendance numbers are due in part to the digs that they are in right now? Would 15 thousand fans show up for a DC game if it were played at Dunbar High School? of course they wouldn't. we'd get terrible attendance too. as for San Jose, that team has been screwed around so bad recently, i feel sorry for 'em. they deserve stadiums because if they didn't have them, they wouldn't survive. I'm looking at the health of the league, not just the health of the team i root for ........ and that is not ridiculous. and the statement was "most deserve". I never said that everyone DIDN'T deserve one, but was just pointing to those who need it the most.

2. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree on the Snyder thought...although I think that raising prices while having a mediocre product on the field also fits AEG and the Galaxy this year.

So look for significantly more expensive tickets when United gets it's own stadium...and, given the last three years, also look for a mediocre product on the field...sadly.

3. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think, if we had enough fans with a pocket we could buy the team. I always thought it would be rad having a fan owned DC. oh well, i can dream.

4. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I recently quit smoking, so that's about [furrowed brow while doing the math, followed by look of dismay] oh, about a FREAKING GRAND I used to blow on cigarettes every year. I could certainly put that cash towards a much worthier cause...

Let's see, what is it--20 mil to buy a team? I can't remember at all what MLS is asking from new investors. Anybody know?

5. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    for those who have seen the new renderings-
    just leak one fact:
    does it have a roof?

6. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    Does it have bouncing bleachers?

If DCU gets a new stadium, and the seats don't bounce, it will be a crime.

7. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i havent seen the drawings but its supposedly like the Home Depot Center. But i would really like a roof like Hull's, with is a more wavy version of RFK's. Keep some of the traits of RFK which made dc stand out...

Bouncing stands arent that big of a deal to me, but it would be nice. But i also think that all the supporters clubs in the new stadium should be together. and wherever they are thats where the bouncing stands should be.

8. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Damn Straight!

:D

9. CrazyDCFan

CrazyDCFan Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Henan, China
    If Dan Snyder were to ever buy this team I would chalk one up in the "Never win another MLS Cup" column. He is a whiny, crybaby, little sissy who disrespected and then destroyed the pride and integrity of my beloved redskins and tried to turn them into the NFL's version of the Yankees. The only thing I can think of that would be worse for DC United is if Richie Pettibone became our manager. :)

10. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    I could not agree more.

11. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    Does anybody know what Pettibone has been doing lately? His huge stomach definitely rivals Sigi Schmid's.

12. hoop_crazy

hoop_crazy New Member

Oct 31, 2003
    Louisville
    SSS for DC United

All MLS teams deserve a SSS to play in. I think the stadium proposed for DC United should be similar to the one that Leister City or Reading play in in England. They are nice and square and completely enclosed, and also have poofs on them. Plus they are within the 25,000-30,000 seat range.

13. hoop_crazy

hoop_crazy New Member

Oct 31, 2003
    Louisville
    Eventhough A SSS in the USA would of course have many Americanized features not in common with stadiums in Europe. Because you know that us Yanks just have to be different than everyone else! And I'm tired of it.

14. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: SSS for DC United

Is this a typo, or a commentary on Leicester and Reading fans...? :)

15. hoop_crazy

hoop_crazy New Member

Oct 31, 2003
    Louisville
    Obviously a typo, roofs I meant to say. Any stadium built definately needs a roof on it. Roofs add flavor and excitement to the action on the pitch. Also, another type of stadium design that would be cool to see here in the USA would be a scaled down version of Ibrox in Glasgow. (Man it hurt to say that, I bleed Celtic green!)

16. KrazyKyle

KrazyKyle New Member

Aug 3, 2002
    Winter Park, CO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RFK

RFK had 56k for MLS CUP 97, sold out!

17. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sucks having our own identity doesn't it? :(

18. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    wasn't there the idientical line of bs, same topic same knee jerk reaction thread last week about this?

19. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    Re: Re: DC Stadium news

Depends what you mean by last week--check the date on the post.

20. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    18 Oct 2003 03:58 AM

what a jack@ss