DC out of running for 2012 Olympics

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by weasel, Aug 27, 2002.

1. weasel

weasel Member

Oct 31, 2000
    NYC
    Will this help or hurt DCU's chances of getting a new stadium?

2. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or hurt? I really have no idea.

3. FootyMundo

FootyMundo New Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Minneapolis
    I would think it would hurt. Wasn't the intention to build a stadium for volleyball that would then be converted ala Atlanta's Turner Field into a SSS.

4. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Supposedly, but no one really knows the truth. Of course, that would mean that DC United would not have had control over that stadium the way the Crew have control over Crew Stadium.

Actually, the baseball question is more important than the Olympic question. If baseball comes to RFK, the push to build an SSS for United and Freedom will intensify.

Sachin

5. weasel

weasel Member

Oct 31, 2000
    NYC
    That was the plan, as I recall. I remember the Wash. Post saying that the city was only considering a stadium if they got the Olympics.

Others are saying the city has already allocated $20 million for a stadium on the RFK grounds, and AEG is the holdup.

I find the latter hard to believe. We've heard about stadium plans in DC, NY, KC, Dallas, Colorado, and Chicago. Results so far - zero, zip, nada...

6. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    It figures. Watch, the scum will get a stadium now, because you just know NY is gonna get the US bid, therefore the olympics. Life isn't fair.

7. FootyMundo

FootyMundo New Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Minneapolis
    NY getting the Olympics is a long shot. Competition includes SF (which supposedly has the best U.S. bid package) and a host of stiff international bid cities like Rome, etc.

8. Godot22

Godot22 New Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Waukegan
    Vancouver's the favorite for the 2010 Winter Olympics, and the IOC is supposedly reluctant to spend so much time in North America, so either US city is a long-shot.

Any chance that a NYC or Bay Area Olympics could pave the way for a Metro/Quake stadium?

9. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would hope DCU wouldn't have to wait until the 2013 season to get an SSS...granted, being soccer co-tenants in RFK ain't bad, but, with their number of potential supporters, I should think a 30,000 seat SSS in DC is possible, and would be perfect for our Nats, too.