DC loses out on Olympic bid

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by 79United, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    It doesn't matter. ESPNews reports choices are NYC and San Francisco.

Sachin

2. weasel

weasel Member

Oct 31, 2000
    NYC
    Time for AEG and DCSEC to put up or shut up. No more excuses.

3. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    If the boards had not crashed, I would go back to early 2000 when I clearly stated: "Olympics in DC = Pipe-Dream." I have to say that this was a serious waste of time and money by DC and clearly slowed the process of building a new Soccer stadium. I might not "write" Tony in after all.

Tim

4. grumpydcu

grumpydcu Member

Jan 1, 2002
    MD
    AEG has been talking to DCSEC for years, how long does it take to tweak the numbers. Either build the damn SSS or stop blowing smoke up our butts.

5. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    Can I have your username "grumpydcu"? I'll trade you mine, Petter Villegas, and future considerations.

6. neilgrossman

neilgrossman New Member

May 12, 2000
    Hoboken, NJ
  7. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
  8. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK folks, no more Olympics BS to cloud the picture. Time to *************** or get off the pot.

9. weasel

weasel Member

Oct 31, 2000
    NYC
    There will be an annoucement within 30-60 days.

10. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Well if either of them does actually win the 2012 Olympics, it should be a golden opportunity to put an MLS team in a home of its own. Obviously the winning city would be much more willing to co-fund a SSS to be used for the Olympics if they had to build one anyway. Then it could be built prior to 2012, the MLS team move in (Quakes, Metros or an expansion NYC team such as the Cosmos :D) and then it could be converted to a beach volleyball or whatever stadium for the Olympics.

Also, it would be a great marketing opportunity for MLS. Just think about it. ... Now, live from Pele Stadium, home of Major League Soccer's New York Cosmos, Karch Kiraly and US Beach Volleyball.

OK, so maybe it wouldn't be such a great marketing opportunity, but everyone would see the MLS stuff etched into the walls and the big permanent signs on the outside.

Co-funding for a stadium, motivated local government to bless and expedite permitting and construction, and revenue-sharing for parking and concessions. I think that'd bring in an invester rather quickly! Maybe George Steinbrenner's son would want to run that, I heard he's a soccer nut like us.

-Tron

11. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    DC may not be an olympic city, but...

Washington is an international city, just like Tokyo, Nigeria or Israel.

12. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My thought exactly. No more delay about a SSS because the Olympics might be coming. And it looks like, as of Friday, baseball's going nowhere.

So all the excuses are falling by the wayside.

As to the Olympics, I actually hope the US doesn't get them in 2012. That would poison our chances of getting the 2012 World Cup.

13. DCFAN

DCFAN Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Time to build a soccer stadium!

14. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    3 pages and nobody mentioned that it was a joint bid between Baltimore and Washington.

You jerks.

;)

15. PSG Stunna

PSG Stunna New Member

Jul 16, 2002
    Darkness!!!

last time I checked there was no "israel city" or "nigeria city" either. Tel Aviv would count as an international city, though.

16. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Also, gullible is not in the dictionary.

17. SoccerEsq

SoccerEsq Member

Aug 28, 2000
    Maryland SoccerPlexish
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    O!

;)

18. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    Now that DC is not getting the Olympics, what about our SSS? Uncle Phil is in a little hot water with the feds while Quest retools there books. Quests stock is down to the one dollar and change range. I think one of the last things on his mind is ponying up big bucks for our SSS, at least not untill he gets straight with the feds.

19. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    damn, everyone is pretty quick to dictate how someone else should spend their money.

I'm sure AEG has a plan on the table and is working towards a solution. However, with the real Qwest issues hanging around, I'm sure Uncle Phil isn't really in the mood to just drop an extra $20m on the table to get a stadium built ASAP. IMO, when there is a winning team on the field RFK is still the best place to watch a game. The only problem is the lack of revenue going to the MLS and the potential baseball relocation. (hello DC Expos).

I would rather AEG drop an extra $2m into the team at this point so they would at least be interesting to watch. In fact, I would rather they drop some money into actually creating an avenue to be able to watch the team (or listen) without having to drive 3 hours to the game. But that is just me.

20. neilgrossman

neilgrossman New Member

May 12, 2000
    Hoboken, NJ
    I think our history of hosting the Olympics proves the US can handle large sporting events. I think that may be one of the reasons we got WC 94. I think our sucess with the Olympics (coupled with WC 94) is the best thing going for us as we bid for WC 2014.

21. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    This blows, I was looking forward to DC getting the Olys. Toronto got shafted last year in their bid for 2008 and now DC.

22. Colin Grabow

Colin Grabow New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, DC
    Personally I'm glad. This city has bigger things to worry about than the Olympics.

23. joshdcu

joshdcu New Member

Jun 29, 1999
    Washington, DC
    My sentiments exactly...

24. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Did anyone take the gridlock we enjoy around here on a regular basis into consideration?

25. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    What NY and SF don't have gridlock?

Hell, by 2012 we'll all be using the flying cars ala The Jetsons. It says so in the 1960 Year in Review Encyclopedia I found at my Mom's storage unit the other day. :)