Daytona

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by eric_appleby, Feb 16, 2004.

1. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Emotional win for Junior. He's not my favorite driver but he is poised to be a crossover sports icon.

2. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    WTF is DEI doing to their super speedway engines? It'd be nice if NASCAR could take Jr's engine and Tony Stewart's engine and tear them apart and see what makes the DEI engine stronger.

*throws on conspiracy hat*

Jr wins the first Twin 125 race, the 500 and yesterday's Busch race. If you were an anti-Jr. fan you could say that NASCAR wanted Jr. to win. How convenient is that? New title sponsor...their Super Bowl of races...trying to reach to a bigger audience...

3. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    WTF is DEI doing to their super speedway engines? It'd be nice if NASCAR could take Jr's engine and Tony Stewart's engine and tear them apart and see what makes the DEI engine stronger. You'd think that Hendricks or Gibbs would have the resources to make exceptional super speedway engines that are on par with DEI engines.

*throws on conspiracy hat*

Jr wins the first Twin 125 race, the 500 and yesterday's Busch race. If you were an anti-Jr. fan you could say that NASCAR wanted Jr. to win. How convenient is that? New title sponsor...their Super Bowl of races...trying to reach to a bigger audience...

4. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Daytona is hardly the "Superbowl" of the season now. It's not one of the 10 "playoff" races.

Here's a scenario for you. One of the poster boys, Junior or Gordon etc has a big lead after the first 26 races. That gets cut to 5 points over 2nd place for the final 10. Then gets unlucky, with a some dnfs, and someone 5-10 wins the championship.

5. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Yes, they should do this.

Except that with Tony Stewart, they'd be learning about the JOE GIBBS engine. Unless Tony and Bobby buy their engines from DEI-- because both the #18 and the #20 are owned by Gibbs, not DEI.

You might have been thinking about Michael Waltrip's car, which is a DEI car and has won Daytona twice over the last 3-4 years.

6. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. That sounds...unpleasant. There is another (former? I think actually not) NASCAR national series track that doubles as a highh school sports field. Definitely with football. Not sure about soccer or other sports. It's one of those mile-or-less ones, though.