Dax McCarty and allocation $ to DCU

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Heist, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Good move by both teams. Portland needs MLS-level players, and they get that with Wallace and potentially in the draft pick.

DC gets the best player, Dax is a baller.

4. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't realize he was only 23. That makes this an even better deal in my opinion.

5. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm really excited about this move. Dax is still getting better and he truly is a two way midfielder DC United craves.

6. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, he's still got lots of good stuff in front of him. Turns 24 after next season starts (4/30/87 DOB).

7. Sockey

Sockey Member

Jan 13, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McCarty brings what King and Morsink tried to bring alongside Boskovic all year: good defense with the smarts to help out the attack. He's a very good, very intelligent player all over the field.

8. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I like the allocation money part of the deal.

9. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now as the team is currently constructed, does this addition mean that we put a pretty bow on Clyde and send Christmas cards to every team in the league?

10. Shiver_Me

Shiver_Me Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing as y'all appear to have skinned us, hung us up and left our bloody corpses for the cats to bat about, mind telling us something about Wallace? Spencer and Wilkinson seem to think they can use him as a midfielder. Should we be getting the pitchforks nice and pointy and the torches nice and hot?

11. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I'd like to see Clyde become a reserve centerback and center mid. He's a good player, but hasn't played like a starter in this league for a couple of seasons. If his salary is too high he just might be heading elsewhere.

12. dbchcknmn

dbchcknmn New Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Baltimore, Md
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like this trade a lot. Our central midfield play last year was a glaring weakness. All those games that King and Morsink started together made that pretty clear. Sorry to lose Rodney, but I like this pickup.

13. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I think Wallace is much better as a left mid. He's very good going forward and needs work on his defensive responsibilities. The guy is REALLY fast. I think you'll be happy. I don't know if it's a rip off. Wallace made about 105K/yr and Dax is around 145K/yr. I bet the allocation is ~40K to even those out. The draft pick? probably worthless. DCU benefits from this perhpas more than Portland because there is a bigger need at center mid for us, but good left sided green card holders are hard to find. We just happened to have a decent LB and LM and Wallace was expendable. It's probably easier for you guys to justify higher dollars on a center mid. Additionally, I think Adam Moffat is a stud. You are really going to like that guy. If he can just stay healthy...

14. itwasi

itwasi Member+

May 9, 2008
    I don't know
    Club:
    DC United
    He's a nice guy. Has a twitter account.
    He played LM and DM in 2009. LB for 11 games this year before getting his leg broke. He has some speed. Not the best crosser of the ball or best defender. I think most of us look at him for potentially being good or very good at one position, but since he hasn't really played one position for a long enough its hard to say.

15. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree. He had some ups and downs here at DC. He could turn out to be a good player. Its not a horrible trade for Portland, just a good one for DC. We could use some good news in these parts.

16. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This move ... makes sense.

Someone hold me.

1 person likes this.
  17. emanon

emanon Member

Aug 17, 2007
    MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Doesn't McCarty primarily play central mid? Could this be a sign that the experiment with Boskovic in the center is done, and he will be moving to the wing (where he plays on the national team) ?

18. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I think the two could pair nicely. Dax playing a bit more of the 'anchor midfield role'. I'm ready to give up on Boskovic in the middle just yet.

19. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I really liked Wallace. There was a time him and Pontius were each making a case for ROTY before he got hurt. If healthy I think you'll really get to like him. He has nothing but upside IMHO.

20. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    You guys need to stop taking advantage of the new kids.

Come on, play nice.

Congrats on a good pick up today. DC is the clear winners in the expansion draft, at least in my mind.

21. cowtown

cowtown Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am a little confused about Dax for Wallace. I'm REALLY confused by Dallas not working something out with you guys. A fourth-round pick alone would have been (slightly) better than nothing.

22. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    He does, but he also doesn't have a set position. He was good at LM, but now we have others that could play there (Pontius, Boskovic, and Quaranta), while he wasn't much of a defender as a LB. I think both teams got what they needed, and DC did well to get an allocation out of the deal.

23. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    I imagine it's $100k, as that's what most allocation portions are dealt out in nowadays.
    Maybe, but him going to Portland certainly opens up the possibility of Columbus needing some midfield help...

24. DCU1984

DCU1984 Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kasper sure does love Burch, but i suppose you have to give up quality to get quality. Its an upgrade over Simms will be interesting to see if we start both Simms and Dax.

25. Diceson

Diceson Member

Dec 21, 1999
    I'm wondering if Simms is on the trading block?

I also wonder if Wallace's injury had something to do with the trade. Maybe there's some lingering effects? Maybe a loss of some speed?