davis - an upgrade from vanney

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by luvdagame, Jul 7, 2005.

1. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    just a suggestion. don't flame me.

my point is that they are both slow, but davis is faster, davis is younger, and davis has better attacking flair and sends in dangerous crosses.

i know he's not a left back, but at some point during this tournament, bruce should at least try him there for a few minutes to see if he can fit in.

a team like the following could be dangerous:

--------------------keller--------------------------

dolo-----------gooch------conrad-------davis

-------------------mastro---------------------

quaranta------------job---------------dmb

---------------ld------------casey-----------

2. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The devil's advocate says:

Don't give a guy his first shot at playing a new position in a tournament game.

But other than that, it sounds like a nice idea.

3. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Davis' weakness as a LM is his defense...I don't think he could play LB in MLS, let alone internationally. His future on the team is as the long-term replacement for Eddie Lewis.

4. robchap628

robchap628 New Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Atlanta
    the only thing thats not an upgrade from vanney is hejduk and hes on the roster too, but im interested to see what davis can do, although he may not have deserved the call up, im just not to worried about the result of the gold cup, i just wish it would be used to figure a few things out, instead of playing has beens and never will be's. best of luck to davis i hope he can show something

5. DCFAN96

DCFAN96 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Its worth I look I guess, but who isn't an uprade from Vanney?

6. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    hejduk is an upgrade from vanney speedwise, and speed is the operant word when you are playing the outside back position.

that's why arena uses him there as a stopgap - even when he has vanney available sometimes. it depends on the speed of the opposing team - and cuba has speed.

7. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004
    What do you mean? Didn't Vanney play in France! HE MUST BE GOOD!!!!

8. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    FWIW, after seeing the team practice for three days last week, Arena never played Davis @ left back. So I don't think this idea will come to pass. And to be comprehensive here, some folks a couple of weeks ago wondered if either Davis or Olsen might be tried @ left back and Olsen always played midfield as well, mainly centrally but a little on the wing.

9. USsoccerLA

USsoccerLA New Member

Feb 15, 2005
    Los Angeles

Why does everyone keep saying they dont care much for this cup? do u guys not realize this could be the one and only piece of silverware we will be able to pick up in quite a while. I mean the next tournament is the worldcup do u really think we will be able to win it, i thought so. after that is what copa america were not going to that either I mean the only tournaments we participate in are worldcup and gold cup I at least want to be able to say weve won something in the past 10 years

10. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Be assured: He most certainly deserves a call-up.

As luvdagame said in the opening post, he "sends in dangerous crosses." As big an understatement as you'll find on BigSoccer.

11. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Only one to score on that video at Ussoccer.com

He has quite a foot!

12. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Exact-a-mundo!

13. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Davis has poor defensive instincts... which doesnt mean technicly he cant handle it, hes very good in the tackle actually, its just that he doesnt read the game well on the defensive end.

Hes a midfielder with an emphasis on the attacking side of the ball, pure and simple, and a pretty good one.

14. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    perhaps we could've called this thread something else:

Moldy Cheese - an upgrade from Vanney
    An Inanimate Carbon Rod - and upgrade from Vanney

why should we worry about an upgrade from Vanney ... it's not like he's our first choice for big games? yeah, it'd be nice to have better depth, but if he gets tossed out there for a game against Cuba ... so what?

15. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IN honor of the former Galaxy defender who is so damn good his name escapes me :D :

A lefty orange traffic cone is an upgrade over Vanney....

16. clashcityrocker

Mar 12, 1999
    In the shadow of RFK
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Well, me, for one.

17. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA
    Based on Davis' performance against Cuba, do you still think so?

18. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Davis has a good touch and crosses the ball well, he is not fast, he can't defend and he is soft as butter. Vanney is not great physically but he gets a lot done with his experience and is outstanding on the ball. Davis is limited midfielder and Vanney is a limited defender, the only comparison is that they are but limited but effective in certain situations.