Davide Somma - Hero @ Leeds

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by FUAEG, Aug 22, 2010.

1. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEVRI_AeuQw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEVRI_AeuQw[/ame]

2. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Good on him.

3. AndrePirloRules

Jan 11, 2008
    Always likes Davide's game when he was with the Quakes.. I knew when he left he'll make a name for himself with clubs he'll be playing for in the future.. Wish Davide all the best.

4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  5. morgan1906ultras

morgan1906ultras New Member

Apr 9, 2008
  6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This must mean either the MLS is really good, or he must have improved tremendously! He is probably thinking to himself, thank God they cut me.

7. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still not great, but a little bit better video

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwJaLTfx2p0"]YouTube- Leeds United Vs Millwall Highlights[/ame]

8. Horror Show

Horror Show Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Fullerton, CA
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe it's a little bit of both. I've been following his progress, and his stint at Lincoln City, gave him bags of confidence. He also had a manager in Chris Sutton, who as a striker himself, understood the mentality needed to nurture a successful forward, though Somma also appeared to have been gifted the natural ability to finish according to this: http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/leedsunited/Leeds-United-Somma-a-natural.6484636.jp

What I'm absolutely sure of was that it was worth waking up at 4:30 am on a Saturday and listening to Leeds thump Millwall with an ex 'Quake scoring the winning goals. Shame he wasn't given the chance to build his confidence here, but it really could be that MLS is just that much better than the Championship...or perhaps the San Jose coaching staff was just flat out clueless on how to properly utilize him

9. SCQuakes408

SCQuakes408 Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Santa Clara, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my god...his second goal is something you hardly see in the MLS. Hope Leeds gets promoted and we start seeing him every weekend

10. Balompie

Balompie Member

Jul 3, 2000
    Bay Area, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Guessing this fellow would be a South African national teamer (if he ever gets to that level of course)?

11. sko16

sko16 New Member

May 2, 2007
    Israel
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Or maybe Italy?

12. leocal

leocal Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Fog City
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^ this.
    he looked ok to me the few times he played. sometimes it takes someone to believe in you and give you minutes. glad for him.

13. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Ah, yes, the curious case of Davide Somma. He had a very good off-season between 2008-2009 as a late call to the Gen Adidas team in their tour of England (hope I got that right), and I thought he was really going to be a contributor to the team in 2009. But he played a few times in pre-season, and didn't look that great, and then gone. Sadly he was probably a casualty of the great Cam Weaver era of Quakes history.

As for the those goals, meh, first one was a chip in, and the second was well taken, but not very impressive defense there.

14. dakotajoe

dakotajoe Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Medford, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Put Cornell Glenn in those spots and he hits the post with the chip in and sends the second over the bar.

15. Horror Show

Horror Show Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Fullerton, CA
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better quality 2nd half highlights from LUTV.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq6ZHfBHLIk"]YouTube- VTS 01 11[/ame]

We get a little more of the build up before the goals and you can just see how good his first touch is as well as his ability to hold the ball up while waiting for support. It may just be one game, but he shows a lot of promise.

Here's what he had to say after the match.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV1kfzT0r_c"]YouTube- POST MILLWALL SOMMA 2[/ame]

16. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Somma has been prolific since leaving us, and I think his previous season at Lincoln shows that this most recent performance isn't a fluke. He's a serious goal scorer (something that we could really use lately).

17. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Davide is definitely the hero du jour for Leeds fans at the moment; much is expected of him after that performance on Saturday!

I don't know what led to him getting away from you all but I think its worked out for the best.

18. Horror Show

Horror Show Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Fullerton, CA
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He wasn't exactly doing too well while on loan at Chesterfield, so I'd say it was Chris Sutton who was able to mold him into a prolific lower league (and possibly a Championship caliber) striker. I'd say the reason the 'Quakes let him go was because he was unpolished, and arguably, a completely different player during his stint here.

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I can not make out his accent. I guess going to high school in Florida killed his South African drawl. Never knew it was Darren Huckerby, who encouraged Somma to find a new club in England. Guess his signing and getting cut by the Quakes worked out to be a mixed blessing.

20. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just scored again against Leicester in the Carling Cup -- he's on fire!

21. Horror Show

Horror Show Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Fullerton, CA
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somma continues to build his legend at Elland Road. Won his first start at Leeds and he's fired in the opening goal in the Carling Cup against Leicester. 3 goals in 2 games against Championship opposition. Highly unlikely that he'll keep up this form, but still an unbelievable start for him.

22. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably the same reason that Ramón Sanchez and Javier Robles didn't do well here.

Not ready to start, but he gave us good sub minutes in late 2008.

Frank (¿and JD?) were grooming him to be an attacking midfielder for us. Perhaps they should just have focused on making him a good striker? Even so, he looked decent for us at a-mid in late 2008, he then had a good stint with the Gen Adidas team in Enguland between seasons. In 2009, he played all of four minutes for us (at striker) and then we cut him.

I think that Davide somehow found his way to the doghouse, and that the end of his career here was not related to his quality or effort. Frank enjoys a well earned reputation for not developing young talent.

I'm not saying that Davide would have been great had he stayed. What I am saying is that the Frank & JD regime have a marked tendency to get rid of or lose promising young players.

Stupidity is what led us to let him get away.

This may be so. It still doesn't excuse our failure to work with him.

GO QUAKES!! :D

- Mark

23. Horror Show

Horror Show Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Fullerton, CA
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @markmcf8 - I agree. And just for the sake of clarification, that wasn't meant to be an excuse for our coaching staff. I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong should the team make the playoffs, but their personnel decisions over the last year-and-a-half haven't done much to instill confidence in me that they know what they're doing.

24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Good for him. Wonder if Frank & John are taking note?

25. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001
    I'm really happy that "Somma, Somma, Sommatime" is the song for him. Any Fresh Prince reference is welcome in my book.