David Villa Spain National Team Call up

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Gamecock14, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    That's unfortunate.

2. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Who knew the English were so thin skinned? Next they'll be saying that Rooney really wasn't all that.

3. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    What does the team's ranking in 2017 have to do whether it was a top team or not in 2009?

4. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe being consistently in the top ten since FIFA rankings would be a better qualification. Of course England are generally in the top ten prior to major competitions due to their excellent record in the qualifiers (unbeaten since 2009) and sink into the teens thereafter. Are we off-topic?

5. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    World class stars by English media standards.

World class stars by rest of the world real soccer standards...eh.

The EPL hurt England a lot. In the past coaches/media from other countries would mock the English press and their overhype for their team and the abilities of it's players. Not anymore....why?

Money. Are you gonna poke fun at a country where you can earn a boatload of cash compared to almost anywhere else? Of course not.

The media propaganda has of course worked to hurt our country, and it's understanding of the world game also. To many buy in.

Talk to experienced Spaniards, Germans, Italians, SA's, French, Dutch, Croats (teams with real tactical understanding and skill) and get them off record and the tune changes.

Pop music is pop music however, and the likes of Taylor Swift are super popular....just like the English and the EPL. Doesn't mean it isn't a lot veneer and fluff....there is some talent there, don't get me wrong, but the masses do enjoy lapping it up.

Safest bet since 1970....when the English play any type of tactically sound, well coached team, with decent talent in a major comp bet against them. I am not a betting man, but it paid for a good part of my sons first and second year of college. You can argue and believe whatever BS u need to....I'll keep cashing in. English "loyalty" wagering makes the odds even better every time. Funny stuff. Loads of world class players, ha......then many other countries had cruise liners full of them. Just goes to show how little people know, and what they are willing to be told.

6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    10 years ago Gerrard, Lampard, Cole, Beckham, Ferdinand, Terry, Rooney were all world class

Especially the front 2. Many clubs would have had either

xtomx repped this.
  7. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yet 10 years ago England failed to qualify for the Euros.

TOAzer and The Franchise repped this.
  8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    and what exactly? star players don't exactly mean a star team or a star team qualifying for a tournament. they barely missed out on euro 2008. It wasn't like the dutch missing out on euro 2016.

9. BHTC Mike

BHTC Mike Member+

Apr 12, 2006
    Burlington, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Do Hungary and England not have pro/rel? I hear that fixes everything.

xtomx, rslfanboy, Ismitje and 3 others repped this.
  10. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given the subject of the thread I guess we should acknowledge that the crowd went wild as Villa came on for the last few minutes against Italy.