David Gill is saying that United are in for 1 more signing for next season

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by ManUtd01, Jul 4, 2005.

1. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The only good news is that if Chelsea are focussed on Gerrard and Essien then maybe we can snatch up Mascherano... feeder club or no feeder club, the boy's not stupid... Maka, Gerrard, Lamps and Essien means no CM spot for him.

If we are going to go all out and spend a full 25M this summer, I'd be happy, but I cant think of who we'd spend it on. Essien is very unlikely and Gerrard is an impossibility - the only other player in CM who'd have a similar impact would be Baptista and it seems we are not after him (note, I did not say he was just like them, I said he'd have similar impact) and we have not been strongly linked w/ Mascherano either... a DM/CM seems unlikely unless we pull of some cloak and dagger move...

LOL - 1 day left in window and we announce the signing of Gattuso and Kaka after parting with 35M (it'd never happen, but now that we are not a PLC we dont have to broadcast our moves so theres a chance we are working on something)

2. NYCgeezer

NYCgeezer New Member

Apr 17, 2005
    New York City
  3. Alan_V

Alan_V Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Anaheim, CA via NJ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't think that Liverpool would be keen on selling him to another Prem club. Can they prevent that, legally that is? If they sell him to Madrid for less than Chelsea bid, would they be punished?

4. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    I wouldn't have thought so, they're not a PLC...

5. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe you're correct.

Of course I'm not sure what Liverpool would be worried about. Gerrard scores a goal on the last day that knocks Liverpool down into second place? :rolleyes: ;)

6. listen_up_fergie

listen_up_fergie New Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Montreal
    Very true...if England had an anchoring midfielder like Makelele they would be far more effective. The thought of having Makelele sitting behind Gerrard and Lampard is quite a scary thought, as it is probably one of the strongest midfield combos in the world.

7. mhtwins113

mhtwins113 Member

May 9, 2005
    Club:
    Lincoln City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but at the same time, that a lot of skilled players who need the ball to be effective. maybe not lamps with his runs, but gerrard, gilardino/drogba, duff, and robben. theres only one ball on the pitch that they all have to share, who's to say that chelsea's ideal 4-3-3 with those players will maximize each players effectiveness and overall cohesiveness?