David Carney Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Aussies Abroad' started by iheartbeer, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Glory08

Glory08 Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    Re: David Carney @ Sheffield United [R]

He scored again! Hopefully he can still make a moveto a Bundesliga club or what have you, in the transfer window, though the rumours have died down recently :( .

2. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

He's not going anywhere. I actually would rather him stay in the Championship now. He's just starting to find some good form. If he were to go to the Bundesliga, he would more than like sit on the bench & not see any game time.

3. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

If he keeps up his current form, there's no reason why a EPL club won't look to pick him up if the Blades dont get promoted.

4. Loyalty

Loyalty Member

Jun 25, 2006
    Australia

With the amount of games he has scored in to either draw or win it for United i cannot understand why he has so little game time. His contribution off the bench yesterday lifted the team as he ran the ball and made things happen.

With Byran Robsons neck on the line he needs guys like Carney to play more.

5. Glory08

Glory08 Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Perth, Australia

Robson knows his value to the team. He was just resting him from a previous match. He wasn't going to play the game much at all, but Robson's hand was forced when they were struggling, so he brought on Carney to lift things. Something like that.

6. eagleforlife

eagleforlife New Member

Jun 15, 2007
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

According to an English newspaper today, Crystal Palace are after him on loan.

7. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Blades confirm Robson exit

This may affect Carney's time there- we'll have to see!

8. Grinners89

Grinners89 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

From what i saw of Luton, Blackwell likes attacking wingers and full-backs so Carney is in line to play games IMO.

9. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Interesting Rumour.....

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/australia/off-the-pitch-aussies-on-the-move-118669/

10. Glory08

Glory08 Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Perth, Australia

Yeah, I read that aswell. I have no idea, except like she said, that it's one of the 18 EPL clubs doh.

Either way though, the fact that it's an EPL Club and a move away from a club where he doesnt play, is good. Hopefully though the new club will be one where he wil lplay regularly. So I'm presuming this EPL club is NOT one of the bigger ones, like outside the Top 5 or so.

11. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

I've heard people speculating that it could be Manchester City, seeing as though they play out of the stadium that hosted the Commonwealth Games.

12. Glory08

Glory08 Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Perth, Australia

Ahh BINGO. I think you and those some people, have it Wezza.

Hmm Sven has seen/watched Carney? I wouldn't be surprised since '03 if Sven has been keeping an eye on some Aussie talent, generally. He's already actively pursued Bresc. But then Sven is in danger of being given the sack, right?

I'm guessing Sven, a Man City Scout/Ass Coach or whoever it was, may've seen the Nigeria match in November? It's interesting to see who actually watch those matches as Bristol City chased Nicky Carle, due to his impressing them in that friendly. Those London Based Friendlies are pretty good shop windows.

13. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/socceroos/carney-club-change-possibility-121101/

14. mirage861

mirage861 New Member

Jun 7, 2008

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/socceroos/carney-blasts-blades-boss-134161/

15. Quicky

Quicky Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Wherever I May Roam
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

I like this one:

"I don't think he (Blackwell) will ever take Sheffield United to the Premier League or coach at that level. He doesn't have the brains or the ideas to do it in the top flight. He belongs in the lower leagues - but I don't belong there with him."

Absolute pisser and spot on too!! Nice to see he's got the guts to say it!!

:D:D

16. AverageWhiteMale

AverageWhiteMale New Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Australia
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Eh? Whats wrong with how he plays for the 'roos? He doesn't waste possession and is a resonably solid defender. Im not Carney's biggest fan but I would have thought he has shown enough to be given a run in the championship.

17. epris

epris Member

May 20, 2007
    Sydney

Nothing. have you seen any Sheffield games this year. blackwell is a typical championship coach that spends the whole game longballing like there is only 2 minutes of stoppage time left and your 1 goal down. David Carney has hit it spot on and it shows he's no fool. he knows if he adopted this style of play Pim would go for chippers instead. Unfortunately carney is now at the mercy of this stupid coach he could end up spending the entirety of the season on the bench. should have said this before the transfer window shut.

18. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Surely there has to be some interest from a lower premier league club for him? He's been going alright for the national team.

19. Glory08

Glory08 Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Perth, Australia

Interesting indeed, though yeah, too bad he didn't do this before the Transfer Window ended. But then, it's still soo early in the season and any earlier and he may've been accused of being petulant or whatever the word, making such a call only a couple games in.

But obviously it seems apparent that there's more going on than just simply Carney not fitting into Blackwell's tactical style. It's likely long before this outburst they may've clashed inhouse once or twice (Blackwell was all too keen for him to go to the Olympics, remember?). So while such public venom coming from an Australian professional like he can be a surprise, there's probably little doubt that this would not be a surprise for Blackwell - I would presume Carney probably already told him such things similarly, inhouse, before this media outburst.

Hopefully Carney hasn't timed his 'run' too early? There's still a fair bit of time, 4-5 months, so many games, till the January Transfer Window. So poor David (Or not so?) will be in for a tough time between now and then. And if things escalate (Which David is probably kind of hoping for), then not only will he be stuck in the reserves, but training and off the field may be difficult for him too? It could be quite an unpleasant experience, so he will need a thick skin.

If he said such stuff in October/November/December, it might've been a little easier and may have drawn even more sympathy, given the extended length of time (aka evidence or Blackwell's man management).

20. Loyalty

Loyalty Member

Jun 25, 2006
    Australia

I'm betting David Carney is glad not to be in the first 11 after their 0-6 flogging from Arsenals virtually teenage team this week in the Leagues Cup (?) i think. One goal came from a 16 year old.

21. ace_helicopter

ace_helicopter New Member

Apr 29, 2007

http://www.sufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/ReservesReport/0,,10418~1491806,00.html

Reserves 5-2 Mansfield - match report

Posted on: Wed 17 Dec 2008
    Two David Carney strikes and comeback goal from Sean Gordon were the highlights as United's second string proved too strong for Mansfield Town on Wednesday night.
    United also halted a four-match winless streak to keep the pressure on the top sides in the Central Section of the totesport.com league.
    On a wet evening at Sheffield FC's Dronfield base, the Blades took just five minutes to open the scoring and won at a canter. After a corner was half-cleared, Chapman and Carney were involved before Lowton's effort was saved by Stags goalkeeper Herriott only for the ball to ricochet off BLACKWOOD and into his own net.
    The Stags were level on 11 minutes, TRIMMER netting from the penalty spot after Smith felled Blackwood, but United soon regained control. Gordon, playing in his first game of the season after recovering from a broken foot, headed wide after Quinn's cross.

[​IMG]
    United's second goal arrived on 29 minutes. Annerson's long clearance was allowed to bounce twice before CARNEY latched onto the ball and shot across the goalkeeper. GORDON added the third on 36 minutes after Australian international Carney had beaten three defenders.
    More good work from Carney and Quinn resulted in Kitchen sliding the ball against his own post as United came close to a fourth before the break.
    Carney had a header saved in a slow start to the second period but the Blades did add a fourth on 70 minutes when CHAPMAN, after a one-two with Gordon, beat the last defender and fired into the top corner.
    Just two minutes later Mansfield claimed their second of the night, LOGAN heading in from McGhee's corner but United completed the scoring on 84 minutes when CARNEY netted with a first time shot after a fine run by the impressive Tahar.
    Carney had a chance to complete his hat-trick soon after but Wood blocked and United had to settle for five. Coach Mark Smith, though, thought the winning margin could have been greater.
    He said: "Generally we had more than enough to beat Mansfield but I'd have preferred the lads to have pushed themselves a little more."
    Blades: Annerson, Smith, S-Latef, Senicanin (Roberts 45), Chapman, Lowton, Tahar, Gee (James 45), Gordon (Foster 72), K. Quinn, Carney.
    Unused: Haber, Brown.
    Mansfield: Herriott, Wood, Goward, Logan, Naylor, Kitchen, McGhee, Burrell, Ryan, Trimmer (Higginson 81), Blackwood (Langford 61).
    Unused: Turner, Purcicoe, Gascoigne.

22. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Time to move on Dave... No point wasting away in that hole.

23. epris

epris Member

May 20, 2007
    Sydney

reserves? ridiculous. There has to be another championship club that would use him regulary. He is around that level.

24. Glory08

Glory08 Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Perth, Australia

During this Transfer window, Carney has been linked to all sorts of clubs and leagues. It's 'apparently' just a matter of it he'll be leaving on loan or leaving altogether. The latter must surely be likely?

He's been linked to clubs from Holland, Belgium and Germany, atleast.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/socceroos/carney-to-stay-in-europe-162855/

25. ace_helicopter

ace_helicopter New Member

Apr 29, 2007

Norwich City sign Carney on loan
    http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/cont...ory=Sport&itemid=NOED28 Jan 2009 16:07:31:710

28 January 2009 16:21

Bryan Gunn has today secured his first signing as Norwich City manager in the shape of Sheffield United's Australian international midfielder David Carney, who joins the Canaries on loan for the rest of the season.

Commenting on the arrival, Gunn told canaries.co.uk: "I am delighted to welcome David as my first signing. We've been working very hard behind the scenes and putting several phone calls into different clubs and this is the first one with a positive result. He is an Australian international and I feel he will add something very positive to the squad we already have.

"He has a tremendous left foot which I hope he can utilise in our games which we have coming up and he's a confident goalscorer who is technically gifted. He wants to come here, he hasn't featured at Sheffield United and with the World Cup coming up in 2010, he wants to have the chance to show what he can do so he has an opportunity of a place in the Australian squad.

He continued: "Ian Crook worked with him in Sydney, where David played 21 games and scored six times. Ian gave a very high recommendation of David and his capabilities, and was happy to recommend him to us. I know there were other clubs interested in him, both in this country and in Europe, and I really hope he is able to use his abilities to help us in the battle we have ahead of us."

On joining the Canaries, Carney told the club's official website: "I'm delighted to be joining a club such as Norwich - the club is obviously in a position they shouldn't be and hopefully I can do something to help move the team up the table.

"I'm looking forward to working with Ian Crook again and can't wait to get started."

The 25-year-old began his career as a trainee with Everton before moving to Oldham Athletic in 2003. He had short spells with Halifax Town and Scottish side Hamilton Academicals before returning to his homeland in 2005 to play for Sydney FC.

The winger will renew his acquaintance with City's first team coach Ian Crook with both of them having helped Sydney to the Australian Hyundai A-League Grand Final in 2005-06. He is a regular Australian international after making his debut for the Socceroos in February 2006 against Bahrain. He currently has 17 caps and one goal, that being a 25-yard stunner at Craven Cottage against Nigeria in November 2007.

He was a member of the 2007 Asian Cup squad that faced the likes of Argentina and represented his country in the 2008 Olympic games in Beijing.

He arrived at Bramall Lane on a three-year deal in August 2007 and has made a total of 26 appearances for Sheffield United in all competitions, scoring three goals, including the only goal in last year's third round FA Cup victory against Bolton at the Reebok Stadium.

Carney is available to go straight into City's squad for the trip to Doncaster on Friday evening. He has been allocated shirt number 11.