David Beckham in MLS?!?!

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by bigtimebuck4, Oct 11, 2004.

1. bigtimebuck4

bigtimebuck4 Member

Oct 10, 2004
    Marc Connolly broached the subject in his chat on ESPN:

now i realize some people think he is over rated and what have you, but I am personally excited as hell about this. it would be great for the league in atracting atention both in the states and abroad.

Do those fo you much more up to date than me believe this? and what are your personal feelings about this?

2. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it depends on his star power at the time that he would come and how good he is at that time.
    if he is still a big star and a good player then it would be great. nice that it adds a good player, but very good that it adds attention to the league.

3. Michael CM1

Michael CM1 New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Atlanta, Georgia: US
    I've heard the rumors too about him playing a year or two over here. I think he has interests in girls soccer over here. He may have a girls soccer school already. I would figure if this did happen that he would play for the Metros since he seems to like NYC a lot and no doubt would play wherever the hell he wanted.

He may or may not be overrated but he would bring instant attention to the league. He would also perhaps teach American players how to score in multiple ways. You watch the EPL and their strikers take shots from 25 yards away all the time. In MLS everybody wants to take it down the side and cross it.

4. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope you appreciated Namoff's shot from that far on Saturday. It was a great idea; too bad it was slightly off target.

5. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    It's always been assumed that Beckham would like to play a couple of years in MLS, probably in LA since his wife wants to return to show business. But there's a whole lot of questions. One 15 year-old American seems to have done more for attendance than all the old Europeans combined, so would the league be interested?. And would Becks be willing to play for the league max of $250,000? That money would hardly keep Posh in push-up bras.

6. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plop in Dallas, KC, DC, the Metros, etc. in new stadiums and then plop in the biggest name in the game at one time in our generation and you will see crazy stuff happen. Yes, I think it would be great.

7. RUUDVN

RUUDVN BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    I believe he will play in Japan first before thinking of coming here, he is HUGE in Japan.

8. metro24freak

metro24freak New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    philly
    I heard he wouldn't do it unless he got paid about as much as he's getting paid in Europe. He is overrated and all but he's not terrible he's very good, just not that good. I wouldn't mind seeing him in MLS even if it was for just a year, people would start to come to games. It'd be like how people come to see Freddy Adu only I think there'd be more because everyone knows who David Beckham is. It'd be good for the league and even once he's gone a lot of fans would stick around and continue coming to games.

The only thing that would be bad about David Beckham coming to MLS would be that you'd probably have mostly a bunch of teenage girls coming to games screaming just to see David Beckham and then once he left we'd be back to what we have now.

9. bigbrooklynlou

bigbrooklynlou New Member

Oct 7, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    If Beckham were to play in MLS, I would imagine him more as an owner / player. It would probably make more sense for him to come into MLS as an investment and boost its value by playing for a season or two.

As for lifestyle choices, I don't know if Posh and family are in the mood to move to Japan. The money may be there, but Spain allows them to commute back and forth from England, I don't know how they'll hold up to 13 hour flights.

10. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City

My thoughts exactly. He won't be making such move for a few more years, at least. And at that I'd wager that he'd end up in Japan.

11. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's really why Salt Lake named themselves Real Salt Lake. Checketts heard a few years ago that David Beckham wanted to play for a team named Real.

12. whirlwind

whirlwind New Member

Apr 4, 2000
    Plymouth, MI, USA
    I'm not sure Posh would really want to come here... I mean, she's like the tenth most attractive woman in England, and she'd be the tenth most attractive woman on her block if she moved to LA...

13. DeKo21DCU

DeKo21DCU New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    VA
    Okay, I am embarrased to admit this but I happen to know quite a lot about his wife. She does NOT like NYC at all. She says it in a video called "A Tour Story" (Spice Girls). She likes shopping there and in LA. But she said she would not like to live in either place. Now those are the two places that could help her "career" the most. One city she does like a lot is Chicago (also stated in A Tour Story).

In David's book, he said he'd like to play in American one day and I believe he will. Regardless of money because the sponsorship alone makes him loads of money. I can see David doing it for USA exposure for himself and especially for Victoria.

One more thing, Victoria is plenty wealthy in her own right. Granted the Spice Girls company don't get mega millions a year anymore but they still get more than what most of us here make in a year.

14. RUUDVN

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    All indication that Beckham enjoys America for the fact that he can walk down the street and avoid the constant paparazzi of the British press.

15. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes but that's the thing, he's already huge in Japan. He doesn't have to go over there and play in J-League to raise his profile. If he wants to be big here, and there are many indications that he does, playing in MLS will probably help. It's like a lot of European rock bands who are trying to "break America", mostly for the money--many try, few succeed. Becks and Adidas would both stand to gain by making him big here, its just a question of whether they think its worth it.

But again, we're talking at least a few years before its even worth really talking about. It might be kind of cool if he did, but we all know from experience that he'd hardly be a sure thing.

16. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    [​IMG]

one company paid Millions of dollars to be the sole sponser of MLS.

this same company also is the official endorsee of David Beckham

17. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So she doesn't like New York but named her kid Brooklyn. That makes little sense.

18. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I don't think salary will be a huge deal to Beckham if he can still make multi-millions from Adidas and countless other sponsors. He'd be able to write a book Beckham takes America. I think he'd do it.

19. Stevedm

Stevedm Red Card

Jan 19, 2000
    Chicago
    Lets not forget the Huge American Congolmerate, Gillette, that just inked a 70 million dollar endorsement deal with Beckham too. Alot of people could help MLS pay his salary. This would lead to Gillette sponsoring MLS too.

20. RUUDVN

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    DBeckham and MJordan have something in common.., anyone know ? ... yes, both have good looking and shape of the head. :D

21. bigbrooklynlou

bigbrooklynlou New Member

Oct 7, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    If Beckham were to play in MLS, I would imagine him more as an owner / player. It would probably make more sense for him to come into MLS as an investment and boost its value by playing for a season or two.

As for lifestyle choices, I don't know if Posh and family are in the mood to move to Japan. The money may be there, but Spain allows them to commute back and forth from England, I don't know how they'll hold up to 13 hour flights.

22. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you just copy your own or someone else's post from earlier in the thread? I swear this looks familiar.

23. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Um, uh, what?

24. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And mess around ending up like Bebeto and ILLHAN???

25. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Another thing Becks has to consider is his career after he hangs up his boots. Which country will offer more for him at that point, US or Japan? Well, he speaks the language here, and he doesn't there. So that opens many options here and closes them there. Specifically, if MLS were to grow significantly, both before and after his arrival, he could find steady employment as the voice and face of soccer in the US.