Das Reboot and the Road to UEFA Nations League & EC2020

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Ger90, Jun 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I was thinking exactly that. Think Neuhaus could definitely take Kroos place post Euros. I like him a lot, would prefer to see more dynamic midfielders rather then Kroos and Gundogan.

Neuhaus, Goretzka and Kimmich could be a pretty good midfield in a 4-3-3.

BorisG and Ger90 repped this.
  2. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Neu House, in the middle of the field
    Neu House...

ShadowX, Ger90, Alex C and 1 other person repped this.
  3. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Germany has tons of midfielders, frankly to the extent where not everyone will end up getting a chance. Kroos and Gündogan still hanging around relevancy from the old guard. Then you have Kimmich, Goretzka, Can, Havertz, Brandt, Demirbay, Serdar, Neuhaus, Amiri, Dahoud, Hofmann, Draxler, etc.

Then guys always on the outside looking in like Arnold, M.Eggestein. And this is even with early blooming prodigies like Meyer, Kramer, Weigl, Stendera falling off the map.

The key thing is improving in all other positions. At CB there's a few names that are starting to pop up but they need to keep climbing to become a new world class pairing like Hummels and Boateng. Süle is kinda there but I'd still say he's still a bit under the quality of how Hummels and Boateng used to be. The rest of the young guys need to continue the upward progression.

It's good we have Klostermann but once he's injured the depth behind him is quite thin at players who are international level. LB is a bit better. Germany lucked out with Gosens who didn't exactly get his development in the country and was a product of the Dutch system and later in Serie A.

In attack, yes Gnabry, Werner, Sane, Waldschmidt while being supported by guys like Goretzka and Havertz is generally fine. But once again gotta keep striving for more top level talent output.

Thomsen, Alex C, ShadowX and 3 others repped this.
  4. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I am very impressed with younger CBs such as Pieper and Nico Schlotterbeck. Both are very talented and impressive. Uduokhai is having a good season as well

at RB at least we have Passlack who is doing quite well this season, and Ridle Baku who is developing steadily. Mbom is also converted there?

Striker, there are many names but I think Moukoko is the only sure thing. Some have been very injury prone this early in their career, e.g. Matanovic, Arp, Asllani and co.
    And there are some strikers who are play some CF but more comfortable on the flanks throughout the game because they don’t have the physicality to deal with big CBs (eg Burkardt, Adeyemi, Beier, Rolke, Ngankam, Dinkci)

ShadowX repped this.
  5. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    we don't need cbs just play 5 midfielders+4 attackers and have Mustafi as sweeper.

6. nurvin

nurvin Member

Feb 11, 2011
    Ok, he is not a starter but, having 5 subs, i saw he played almost every match in the Portuguese league, and started against Paok in the CL qualifier match.
    I think he can be considered if he is still the player seen at Dortmund; in any case he is better than Emre Can.

7. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Can is a common whipping boy on this forum, but Weigl has fallen off the radar for some time now. Frankly when there's so many midfielders to go around, it just becomes a redundancy. Unless Weigl suddenly becomes a standout player, he's not really bringing in anything new to the NT.

Ger90 repped this.
  8. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    isn't Weigl a bit too similar to Kroos? I recall them playing together and it looked off.

9. nurvin

nurvin Member

Feb 11, 2011
    Absolutely not!
    Weigl’s capacity to defend the ball with his body is unique, and has a very good passing ability. He would definitely bring something new to the NT.

10. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Kroos is passing master, good passer is not that relevant when majority of our midfielders are good passesrs. Point is they didn't look good together.

and there is 0 reason to call up someone from Portugal. Waldschmidt gets a pass for now due to being CF/W. More need than another midfielder.

we DON'T need more benchers, 1 XI all season is NOT good enough for NT.

PierreLittbarski repped this.
  11. nurvin

nurvin Member

Feb 11, 2011
    You can call the master of passing only Pirlo! Every midfielder has a different way of passing and Weigl and Kroos aren’t very very similar. The fact that they don’look well together is your opinion. I think they can play together. I think you should watch some of Weigl because it seems you don’t know him! Germany actually needs that type of midfielder!

12. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I liked Weigl before, he definitely had the potential to be a NT contender but Dortmund seemed to give up pretty quickly on him after even trying him as a CB and I haven't seen much of him since he moved to Portugal.

Liga NOS is not at the same level as the BL however, so the question has to be asked as to why he is not starting matches. Imo a German NT midfielder should be a top player in that league, not a bench warmer.

PierreLittbarski and Ger90 repped this.
  13. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    you seem too defensive for a player who lost relevance at Dortmund and has none at Benfica. Should focus on breakinthrough XI before any NT talk and given Euro is so close unlikely he gets called up so why bring him up.

any players can play together doesn't mean they will look good.

14. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think for the Euro the midfield looks pretty set, Kroos, Goretzka, Kimmich, Gundogan, Can and hopefully Neuhaus, plus attacking players like Brandt and Havertz who can play in there if needed..

15. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Stop talking about Weigl, guys. @MatthausSammer certainly doesnt want to talk about how out of a fluke of history Weigl didnt become the world's best DM

16. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I’ve always liked Serdar , but he is rather injury prone

he can provide coverage and pretty balanced offensively/defensively

17. nurvin

nurvin Member

Feb 11, 2011
    In Low' s mind these are the players that will go to the Euro, but it doesn't mean this is the best choice.
    Weigl could easily take Can's spot, not because i like to whip Can, but objectively he has been inconsistent for the NT!

18. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Weigl is 25 now, at that age he needs to establish himself as a bonafide starter and difference maker for his club. That's the reason why Benfica spent 20 million euros on him, in hopes that he can have a career resurgence so they can sell him for profit to larger clubs probably in England or Spain.

But he's been trending downwards since arriving there last season. Subbing on for 20 minutes on average as bench player and letting Adel Taarabt get a start ahead of him doesn't exactly cut it.

Even in his "prime", Weigl never exactly differentiated himself from the pack of other German midfielders. If he's to be NT calibre then he needs to prove it on the pitch and not just have people on the internet think so based on 3 year old memories and Youtube videos.

19. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Leeds had another 3-0 victory in the PL- Koch seems to has played all games full time so far .

Not sure how well he plays as I did not follow it, but he is getting good playing time - well way more then Rüdiger . Hope he develops well , as with Boa and Hummels out and also getting old - we need a few new CB.

I think Sule and Ginter are good ,but we don’t have much more .

WC2014 we had Hummels \boa / Merte , howedes and the mighty mustafi

We need more CB !

Alex C, Ger90 and PierreLittbarski repped this.
  20. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I was wrong, sue me.

BorisG repped this.
  21. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Weigl was decent at one stage, and was the great hope to be that mythical deep lying playmaker. Shame he didn't come thru

22. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    [​IMG]

23. ShadowX

ShadowX Member

Borussia Dortmund
    Germany
    Sep 7, 2020
    As was Johannes Geis.

24. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    #6924 Epitome990, Oct 26, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    Geis was a flop of epic proportions, he literally turned to garbage after moving to Schalke. And they were a competitive club too, one of the better teams in the league back then. Not today's train wreck.

PierreLittbarski and ShadowX repped this.
  25. Blueberry_night

Blueberry_night Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I think the likes of Weigl and Geis now belong to lost talent thread.

PierreLittbarski and ShadowX repped this.